Nikon Z9 / Firmware 2.0 Official Topic

androidlad

• Super Members
36 minutes ago, kye said:

I have (also vague) memories of a process where the "remote" editors were actually onsite but in a building somewhere else that had lots of internet connectivity, and would do the work from there.  

Runners shuttling memory cards to onsite editors used to be common practice before network based pipelines became more ubiquitous.

Anyway, the pipeline is very well thought-out and there weren't any things that came to mind that could improve things much.  This, of course, is contrary to our experience with video where one look at an iPhone makes most cameras look archaic and like the people making them don't know about modern technology or care about the people that do!

Even with a fast network and a remote editor, someone with an iPhone sat behind me in the crowd still has the fastest path from incident to publishing !

Maybe voice recognition might be a shortcut to tagging images?  It's something you could do intuitively without taking your hands/eyes off the camera.  

Voice notes are easily embedded into the jpeg using the in built mic on the camera so the shooter can quickly add notes about the image for the remote editor or for themselves if they are working solo.

Its very useful to quickly add player identities particularly as they may not be visible in the actual shot and it saves a lot of time not just for remote editors but for when working solo too.

Due to the use of code replacements, it is already fast to type input based on audio so there is only a marginal gain in speed to be had if it was automatically transcribed and one which would have to be offset against potential errors.

1774504819_ScreenShot2021-10-29at14_24_47.png.674a9000847d67335b60071d8ea9fe88.png 

So if you are at a sporting event and see a shooter apparently whispering sweet nothings to his camera then rest assured he hasn't lost the plot and similarly he is not using those headphones plugged into his laptop to listen to music.

Except perhaps if its at the cricket.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Runners shuttling memory cards to onsite editors used to be common practice before network based pipelines became more ubiquitous.

I wonder if there were photographers poised to shoot him when he crossed the finish line and handed over the SD card to the editor!

Even with a fast network and a remote editor, someone with an iPhone sat behind me in the crowd still has the fastest path from incident to publishing!

Yes, there are a few advantages to modern technology like that.  A camera attached to a device that runs Android that can control the camera and access the images would open up a whole new world of automation and image processing.  

Due to the use of code replacements, it is already fast to type input based on audio so there is only a marginal gain in speed to be had if it was automatically transcribed and one which would have to be offset against potential errors.

Yeah, that makes sense.  Muscle memory would mean that entering the code directly wouldn't be that onerous I guess.

So if you are at a sporting event and see a shooter apparently whispering sweet nothings to his camera then rest assured he hasn't lost the plot and similarly he is not using those headphones plugged into his laptop to listen to music.

Except perhaps if its at the cricket.

😂😂😂

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

They have licensed the raw technology from a company called intoPIX. Its kinda a surprise, because their new raw technology announced just one month ago!

Here is what they call TICO-RAW:

https://www.intopix.com/tico-raw

Looks like they are using the same raw codec for both stills and video mode then?

6:1 and 12:1 compression modes

500Mbit in 1 bit per pixel 12:1 compression for DCI 4K 60p. Which could mean 4K/24p cinema at under 250Mbit!!

1000Mbit in the 6:1 mode (4K/60)

8K is up to 4000Mbit in the highest quality mode.

Not sure which of these Intopix configs they have actually implemented on camera so if anyone finds some more info from Nikon or a good source do let me know

16 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

500Mbit in 1 bit per pixel 12:1 compression for DCI 4K 60p. Which could mean 4K/24p cinema at under 250Mbit!!

Its bitrates at 12:1 is ideal for me, but does RED let them use it? I mean if they let Nikon do it, everybody else is going to ask their green light. If this raw is edit-friendly as intoPIX claims, RED would feel threatened. We think a giant like RED shouldn't be worried about hybrid camera market, but they don't think like us.

I heard on a YouTube channel that shall not be named that readout for video was around 20ms in 8k. That's not what folks seem to be saying here.  🤷 I know readout time is different for different modes, but don't understand why readout would be slower for vid than for stills.

Also I saw mention on here 2 different modes, one prioritising dynamic range. Anyone know about that? I found it a bit worrying that Nikon didn't mention dynamic range in its marketing spewage yesterday.

On 10/30/2021 at 8:11 AM, Eric Calabros said:

Its bitrates at 12:1 is ideal for me, but does RED let them use it? I mean if they let Nikon do it, everybody else is going to ask their green light. If this raw is edit-friendly as intoPIX claims, RED would feel threatened. We think a giant like RED shouldn't be worried about hybrid camera market, but they don't think like us.

They could have a license agreement. Canon seems to have one with RED, Nikon could have also done this. It could be fairly rentable for RED to license it.

• 5 months later...

ticoraw can support non-bayer CFA sensors too (X-trans too?) unlike prores raw

compression ratios offered @12bit are 6:1 and 12:1.

Intopix has nothing to lose unlike RED, rather they will gain more if they expand their services to all other camera companies.

My prediction is the days of ATOMOS and RED willl be over soon. Cinema cameras will be less enthusiastic and more hybrid versions will pop up from every camera company. RED trying auto-focus, and partnering with canon for RF mount seems like they understood they are losing their checkpoint (compressed raw codec).

i feel there are 2 bottlenecks for a camera to be more cinema /video oriented -

1)Electronic nd filter- the patent of forza silicon which has expired recently. 

2) Compressed raw codec- novel compression techniques like jpeg-xs tico raw are circumventing around RED's patents.

seems like clear path for the future for hybrid photo- cinema cameras.

If brands like Kinefinity, blackmagic, Zcam don't focus on auto-focus, an already shrinking camera market can hit them hard.

57 minutes ago, Sharathc47 said:

ticoraw can support non-bayer CFA sensors too (X-trans too?) unlike prores raw

compression ratios offered @12bit are 6:1 and 12:1.

Intopix has nothing to lose unlike RED, rather they will gain more if they expand their services to all other camera companies.

My prediction is the days of ATOMOS and RED willl be over soon. Cinema cameras will be less enthusiastic and more hybrid versions will pop up from every camera company. RED trying auto-focus, and partnering with canon for RF mount seems like they understood they are losing their checkpoint (compressed raw codec).

i feel there are 2 bottlenecks for a camera to be more cinema /video oriented -

1)Electronic nd filter- the patent of forza silicon which has expired recently. 

2) Compressed raw codec- novel compression techniques like jpeg-xs tico raw are circumventing around RED's patents.

seems like clear path for the future for hybrid photo- cinema cameras.

If brands like Kinefinity, blackmagic, Zcam don't focus on auto-focus, an already shrinking camera market can hit them hard.

Kinefinity has an E-ND in their latest camera. I am hoping to see that from other companies soon.

Looks like Nikon is gunning to retake back the throne as top dog of the DSLR/Mirrorless Cameras for filmmaking with. That is a killer list of features they're adding for the Z9 Firmware 2.0

Nikon is even bringing out a Remote Grip for shooting with!

Having access to all those features at your fingertips will be super useful for people who are shooting with the camera mounted on their shoulder (such as you'd do with a Sony FS7/FX9, and the Nikon MC-N10 Remote Grip is kinda-ish like the FS7 removable grip)

https://www.newsshooter.com/2022/04/14/nikon-mc-n10-remote-grip/ 

Now all we need is for Nikon to develop a Nikon F to Z adapter with an integrated eND filter!

51 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Looks like Nikon is gunning to retake back the throne as top dog of the DSLR/Mirrorless Cameras for filmmaking with. That is a killer list of features they're adding for the Z9 Firmware 2.0

The good news is NRAW is apparently not a linear raw. Bad news is it makes massive files.

ProRes RAW is line skipped in full frame, but native 5k is available with crop.