Nikon Z9 / Firmware 2.0 Official Topic

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The aspect of this that might be cumbersome (selecting images from huge bursts) will really depend on the features that are provided to the user.

For example, Nikon could easily implement a feature on the camera itself to detect that images were part of a burst and show them like a video being scrolled through.  The user selects one or more images to keep, and maybe there's a button that says "Delete all non-kept images".  Maybe from that burst, maybe from all bursts that have one or more "Kept" images.  You might hit a button for the camera to show you the bursts that haven't got anything Kept yet, so you knew you hadn't cleaned those ones up.

With a slick interface design, the right button allocations, and a bit of practice, the process of culling your bursts might be quite an easy and straight-forward process.  This would be instead of having to transfer all images from the card, select ones on the computer, carefully and manually remove the ones you didn't want, probably all in a program that doesn't know where one burst stops and the next one starts.

Just something to keep in mind.

6 minutes ago, kye said:

The aspect of this that might be cumbersome (selecting images from huge bursts) will really depend on the features that are provided to the user.

For example, Nikon could easily implement a feature on the camera itself to detect that images were part of a burst and show them like a video being scrolled through.  The user selects one or more images to keep, and maybe there's a button that says "Delete all non-kept images".  Maybe from that burst, maybe from all bursts that have one or more "Kept" images.  You might hit a button for the camera to show you the bursts that haven't got anything Kept yet, so you knew you hadn't cleaned those ones up.

With a slick interface design, the right button allocations, and a bit of practice, the process of culling your bursts might be quite an easy and straight-forward process.  This would be instead of having to transfer all images from the card, select ones on the computer, carefully and manually remove the ones you didn't want, probably all in a program that doesn't know where one burst stops and the next one starts.

Just something to keep in mind.

I used to use PW remotes for my remote camera, now in most cases I just start video recording and select the image after from the video, is much quicker to find the right moment in Resolve that culling many images. The big advantage for me no more miss fires, buffer full and so on. Also the fact that now camera are fully silent is a big plus too in some environment that I place the remote

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, kye said:

It is already there on the existing cameras.

You use the lock button to protect the three or four selects from a burst and if you are using the Ethernet or WiFi ports this then automatically instigates the transfer of only those images to the local laptop or down the line to the remote editor if you are using one.

The burst can then be cleared using delete all on the camera and it will delete everything except those that have been locked *

If you are ingesting manually off the card you then use the "only locked images" option on your editor to ingest only those images.

The dedicated Lock button is a big deal for a live editorial workflow (something Sony missed with the A9) and its going to take some getting used to on the Z9 that Nikon have for reason decided to swap its position with the Playback button.

* In reality, clearing cards like this is not something that I would do regularly as when working live its easy to miss or underestimate the importance of a seemingly innocuous incident that becomes "the story" later on so it was prudent to leave everything on the card in the event that you might have a piece of it.

4 minutes ago, Django said:

First Nikon Z I'm genuinely excited about. 8K60p / 4K120P. Internal Log, Raw, ProResRaw & ProRes 422 HQ!!

No overheating problems and good RS performance.

I mean damn could this be the full spec no compromise pro hybrid?!

Even the price is a nice surprise. Well done Nikon!

Yes very impressive. I’m so glad they put some pro codecs in this camera as it kind of pushes mirrorless cameras as a whole in that direction. I’m not a Nikon user but I was cheering them on in the livestream. The future Z6 and Z7’s could be a step up as well. Not to mention many excellent Z system lenses and potential for more with very shallow, adaptable mount.

15 minutes ago, stephen said:

No mechanical shutter. Wow, missed that. Brave move from Nikon.

As a photographer, this is the bit I’m not sure about, at least yet…

All my previous experience of e:shutter only for stills is it’s nowhere near enough to shoot weddings.

Not seen or read a single review of this camera yet so will be intrigued to see just how this works for photographers.

• Administrators

Much better than expected all round.

Probably a bit overkill even.

But ProRes and that insanely fast sensor with very little overheating even in 8K makes it unique.

I am impressed.

They are saying the sensor rolling shutter is as fast as a mechanical one.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

As a photographer, this is the bit I’m not sure about, at least yet…

All my previous experience of e:shutter only for stills is it’s nowhere near enough to shoot weddings.

Not seen or read a single review of this camera yet so will be intrigued to see just how this works for photographers.

Until the wave of breathless of "reviews" from the usual suspects subside, you can use the Sony a1 as a proxy for how the electronic shutter game has moved on.

Certainly, as it is Nikon's flagship stills camera then they'd have to be stark raving mad to not be on a par with it and the specs would suggest it will be.

To throw their lot in completely with electronic shutter makes me confident that they are confident that they have made the issues go away, particularly as its a sports camera and the LED ad boards will be its achille's heel if not.

After shooting with Nikon for over 40 years, this is the Z series camera that actually interests me.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Much better than expected all round.

Probably a bit overkill even.

I think Sony might have forced their hand to go no holds barred.

The deal that Sony did to supply Associated Press that they have now followed up with the same type with the Press Association must have spooked them a bit.

At the end of the day, as soon as Sony fleshed out their lens lineup to include the 400mm f2.8 then Nikon and Canon had a problem.

Nikon are the ones now playing catchup as it is them that don't have a native 400mm f2.8, which makes deals like the ones with AP and PA off the table for them.

So they've compensated with a wild spec body to keep them (more than) relevant and give a reason to go with them while the 400 is still not there.