“Permanent” rigging

FHDcrew

Alright I need to devise a solution. I’ve got two external recorders for my Z6, an Atomos ninja v and an Atomos ninja star. They work great but I hate having to attach them each time I pull my camera off my bag. I’m also getting a “double” HDMI clamp solution. Basically what is used here, where we have a clamp for the camera’s HDMI port as well as a screw-in female HDMI cable. 

My question is how to rig this so that my recorder can stay attached, and this clamp setup can stay attached without bending the HDMI port on my Z6, saying as the camera will be in my bag which can be jostled around at times. I want the dual-clamp setup to remain plugged in, and I want either my ninja v or ninja star to stay mounted and ready to go when my camera is in my bag. So I can pull the camera out and begin shooting right away. Any recommendations?

image.thumb.png.9b4affea85108796a8e2c87ef56d7190.png

image.png

image.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

There is nothing off the shelf but what you need to do is fabricate a simple box shroud that protects the ports from being touched in transit.

Something like this very crude representation I've done here.

NinjaNikonMain-Shroud3.jpg.8d681b968d218f49be838d20e052d6b2.jpg

Obviously you would have holes in it in the required positions to enable the cables to pass and make it sufficiently deep so that the ports are far enough away.

To make it easily removable/re-mountable then take advantage of you having a cage and put magnets around the base of the shroud. These will provide sufficient strength to keep it in place when knocked into but make it easy to remove by hand.

In terms of actually designing it, if you are comfortable with 3D design then you can do it yourself or use Fiverr to find someone who will design it to your spec. As it is a very simple design then it will cost around €10-15 for this service.

In terms of it then being made from the design, there are a ton of 3D print bureaus that will handle that for you and they have a range of different materials from Nylon PA12 plastic (which will be the most appropriate one for this) up to more exotic metal replacement materials.

Price is dependent on the size of the finished design and the 3D print bureau (local in person service will likely be more expensive than an online provider) but I'd guestimate at sub €40 as a one off part.

Further to what BTM said about doing something custom, if you can't do that then it's worth spending a few hours looking through the camera cage manufacturers websites (small rig, etc) and also scrolling through Google Images search results.  I've found in the past that there are rigging attachments that you only find when you see a photo of a rig when flicking through image results.

There is a real art to building out a rig that's functional but compact.  It's soooo much easier to build a rig when you don't care what it looks like, if there are cables hanging out everywhere, or how big it is.  

4 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

My question is how to rig this so that my recorder can stay attached, and this clamp setup can stay attached without bending the HDMI port on my Z6, saying as the camera will be in my bag which can be jostled around at times.

There are countless ways to solve this problem.  The cables just need strain relief to the cage and the connectors need to be protected from flexing.

I have done this before on a caged OG BMPCC simply with two, long, stainless steel, 1/4"-20 bolts and cable ties.  nothing would happen if you pulled on the cables.  We were able to keep the camera rigged in a bag with a monitor, external battery and lens attached.

@BTM_Pix has made an excellent suggestion.  I can also envision a solution using the aforementioned 1/4"-20 bolts plus a couple of washers and a small dollup of PC-7 epoxy (or plumbers epoxy -- but you have to work fast!).

44 minutes ago, tupp said:

I have done this before on a caged OG BMPCC simply with two, long, stainless steel, 1/4"-20 bolts and cable ties.  nothing would happen if you pulled on the cables.  We were able to keep the camera rigged in a bag with a monitor, external battery and lens attached.

Can you send a picture?

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Easiest fix is to buy a camera that doesn't need an external recorder lol. It is sort of what Kye said, build the ugliest heavy ass rig or go for what I am doing as of late, just the least you can get by with. 😜

I’m leaning more and more in that direction. I feel uneasy being dependent on mini HDMI and external recorders all the time for my image. 

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yes, it is pretty suspiring how many cameras have a mini or even a micro HDMI. Stupid system for sure.

Yeah, in the OG BMPCC groups I'm in, a common issue is the HDMI port failing.  It seems to be one of the major issues that people ask about - the other is broken screens.

30 minutes ago, kye said:

Yeah, in the OG BMPCC groups I'm in, a common issue is the HDMI port failing.  It seems to be one of the major issues that people ask about - the other is broken screens.

It really sucks. Though to be fair mini HDMI, while still not ideal, is worlds better than micro hdmi. Mini HDMI is on the Z6, as well as some of the Canon RF range

Doesn't the HDMI clamp stop the HDMI port on your cam from bending? It's possible that the mini to full adapter cable could go bad eventually if it's moving around in your bag, but just pack a spare.

The only thing I'd worry about is the HDMI out of the NINJA V that protrudes out the side.

I personally use a Smallrig Hawk-Lock quick release on my Shinobi and leave the HDMI cable clamped into the camera, so I just click the monitor on and insert the cable when I take it out of my bag.

44 minutes ago, mrtreve said:

Doesn't the HDMI clamp stop the HDMI port on your cam from bending? It's possible that the mini to full adapter cable could go bad eventually if it's moving around in your bag, but just pack a spare.

The only thing I'd worry about is the HDMI out of the NINJA V that protrudes out the side.

I personally use a Smallrig Hawk-Lock quick release on my Shinobi and leave the HDMI cable clamped into the camera, so I just click the monitor on and insert the cable when I take it out of my bag.

So you are saying there are no problems with the HDML cable clamp when on the bag? 

On 8/9/2022 at 9:26 AM, tupp said:

On 8/9/2022 at 10:10 AM, FHDcrew said:

Can you send a picture?

Here you go:

strain_relief-fr.jpg.101fa332a41907d8607a3efe7e62e607.jpgstrain_relief-bk.jpg.e439d795bab9ccafc3e9cdfc5bf7136c.jpg