living anamorphic dangerously,help needed

Christina Ava

Hello,

i need your help, im off to shoot a wedding and i decided to film the reception with my sankor c double focus on a 7d or mark 3, will see which.I will shoot with another mark 3 for safety with non anamorphic,just in case i destroy their wedding :)

I am confused concerning the setting of the Aspect ratio, im shooting 1920 24 frames PAL, do i keep the 16:9 or switch to 4:3

other options are

3:2

1:1

thank you

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Christina,
It sounds like you have thought this through. Definitely a good idea to shoot some spherical stuff as well, just incase. I think an anamorphic wedding video would be a beautiful thing, and worth the risk :)
I assume you are using Magic Lantern? As Julian mentioned, that is the only way different aspect ratios are really available.
If it was me, I would shoot 4:3 with a 2x anamorphic. I assume ML gives you a higher verticle resolution in 4:3 than just simply cropping the sides off? (I haven't really used the new ML raw so feel free to chime in anyone)

Even though I quite like the 3.55 ratio a 2x would give at 16:9, it may be a bit too much for some people. The last thing you want is someone asking why their video occupies a thin strip across the screen, then even worse, "can we change that" after you have finished the video. :)

If it was my choice I would go with the full frame 5D, and really pronounce that anamorphic look. But that is a matter of taste I suppose, and the 7D may be easier to focus on the fly. In that respect, have you though about getting a laser measuring tool to help you quickly judge distances? Might be worth a look.

Best of luck!

Chris.

I assume ML gives you a higher verticle resolution in 4:3 than just simply cropping the sides off? (I haven't really used the new ML raw so feel free to chime in anyone)

Yep. If you are shooting ML raw, I'd go for 4:3. That'd give you a resolution of ~1706x1280.

Stretch 2x and you'll get a resolution 3413x1280, aspect ratio 2,66:1

same day rough edit!

password: ana

it was shot with a 135mm pentacon as a taking lens that was harder to focus than the anamorphic, and had some jag, so we kept losing the vertical allignment. I need to find a better taking lens..but over 100mm to keep it from vignnetting in the full frame, suggestions welcome!

The 54 is the dream, but its damn heavy - however, they don't go for as much as the 36s, so its worth a look out.

Kowa for B&H has a big rear optic, but i've recently rediscovered my Isco Widescreen 2000 - smaller rear element than the B&H & it is a fixed focus (@5m), but if you stick a low powered diopter on it & stop down the taking lens to f4-5.6 you can use it as a focus through.

Also, Sankor/singer 16D has a big rear!

Thanks Bioskop, but how big are the diameters actually? My ultra star is 51mm, but the optics are actually 42mm (the rest is metal housing and rings). This leaves me with f2 on 85mm and f3.2 on 135mm which is ok but sometimes I want more.

John what are the options for big rear elements. The iscorama 54 is out of my budget. I have the isco ultra star but the rear element isn't that big either.

It depends on where you want to take your cinematography. For example if you have a Malik type shot in mind of a pretty girl on horseback in a meadow reaching up to grab an apple from a tree in magic hour with all the butterflies around and such (can you see this shot in your minds eye?) then you might think F5@400mm

To pull this off you will need one of these....

Rectimascop 80/2x

IMG_4611.JPG

On the other hand for a Wedding reception where you want to use a 2.8/70-200 Canon L on a 5D , you can use the WA Cinelux which has a 63mm rear optic

8360434969_9e747f7a0b_b.jpg

This was shot with the above using 2/90mm

8360440387_576d7f05c4_b.jpg

Again the WA Cinelux will give the full height of the couple in a bokeh background at F3.2/200mm

this is very interesting, the big wide optics, can they pair up with the 85mm canon L fd? and what a pair they would be..

i dont even know if redstan makes clamps so big

the point in the wedding is that you need to capture the moment and that means mobility, you have heads popping up in front of the camera, people coming and going...lights changing all the time..

Thanks John, I almost bought one of these (the schneider) once but I was looking for something more compact back then, they are pretty cheap 30-50$.

Btw, what's the widest you can go with these? I guess 85mm.

Widest is 42.5mm on cinema film gate, which of course can be done in 5D MLRAW crop mode ;)

Definitely some nice shots in there Christina. Really adds something special, think the clients will like it! Maybe even cool to edit this trough your normal (16:9 or 2,35:1) edit.

Shame about the flashes, kinda kills the mood. But you can't really do anything about that...

maybe i will use some from the dance!the flashed are always a big problem, but theres nothing to do about it, everytime there is an important moment bam-flash, thats why i love video, is so undercover hehe..nobody even knows you are filming them they think you are photographing them, this was my set up and it was hard to shoot...monopod and double focus ...good luck