panasonic hc x1500

stefanocps

And just one further thought and that is I am even toying with ditching full frame for all my video/filmmaking needs and running instead maybe 3x ZV1...

Reality though is not this year and by next, maybe the next gen will be out and that might make even more sense.

The bottom line is that the quality is just about good enough for my needs but for portability, set up etc, running 3 of the things in a dedicated role 'might' be a better all round solution for my needs than lugging about; an S1H, S5 and a pair of hybrid S1R's...

But back to the AX700, - it was a decent bit of kit but not really what I wanted so when the opportunity came to make some changes, I made the switch.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

And just one further thought and that is I am even toying with ditching full frame for all my video/filmmaking needs and running instead maybe 3x ZV1...

Reality though is not this year and by next, maybe the next gen will be out and that might make even more sense.

The bottom line is that the quality is just about good enough for my needs but for portability, set up etc, running 3 of the things in a dedicated role 'might' be a better all round solution for my needs than lugging about; an S1H, S5 and a pair of hybrid S1R's...

But back to the AX700, - it was a decent bit of kit but not really what I wanted so when the opportunity came to make some changes, I made the switch.

It s a good while that i am thinking to get the ax700, that now it has become something like a dreamnto realize!:) In fact, though, j just can t take to pay stil such a nig money for such an old product, that s why i keep thinking the may be zv1 could be better solution., but, unlike you, i will want to use it more in a point and shoot situation, so may be for me all that rigging would not be so adequate. But yet, paying 1000 euro or more for a used ax700...that s only because is a sony, and for this i also dont have simpathy for the brand

You don't really think the microphone on the AX700 is going to be great do you? You will have to add one to it also if you want decent audio. It is one of the cheapest camcorders Sony makes. Nothing will be a standout on it for that money.

You have to spend 5, 6 thousand dollars on a camcorder to get a really good one. And at even that price that is their lower tier stuff. Good video stuff is expensive as hell.

33 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You don't really think the microphone on the AX700 is going to be great do you? You will have to add one to it also if you want decent audio. It is one of the cheapest camcorders Sony makes. Nothing will be a standout on it for that money.

You have to spend 5, 6 thousand dollars on a camcorder to get a really good one. And at even that price that is their lower tier stuff. Good video stuff is expensive as hell.

No i said the panasonic has the possobiliu to add.an.handle with xlr input,  and this could help to have a better audio. BUT anyway this is not the point, the.point, as i have always said, is to have a tool that we ll be small(portable) and fast to use!neither i am looking for the bestbstandout product of course!

On 7/31/2022 at 10:41 AM, stefanocps said:

Hello, it is a while i am looking for a camcorder. Till now, having decided that 1 inch sensor would be fundamental, i have focused on Sony AX700 as the best camera in that area, for money,size quality ecc.

Get the Sony. If you want a cheaper videocamera take a look at the AX100. One incher. 4K. Canon has one interesting 4K offering that is in the same budget range you are at (XA40).

I find videocameras have a spot in any pro's rig because they magnify the image during recording with the press of a button, have unlimited recording times, and of course dedicated microphone and headphone jacks.  Only very few MILCs offer all these functions as standard.

So unless you're recording caves for a new Werner doc you'll be ok. 

20 minutes ago, EduPortas said:

Get the Sony. If you want a cheaper videocamera take a look at the AX100. One incher. 4K. Canon has one interesting 4K offering that is in the same budget range you are at (XA40).

I find videocameras have a spot in any pro's rig because they magnify the image during recording with the press of a button, have unlimited recording times, and of course dedicated microphone and headphone jacks.  Only very few MILCs offer all these functions as standard.

So unless you're recording caves for a new Werner doc you'll be ok. 

the canon xa40 has the smaller sensor though...why you suggest that over panasonic for example?

Just now, MrSMW said:

Oh flip… all this time I meant I switched from the AX100 to the ZV1🤪

Never had a 700!

I think the sun must have gone to my head today…

Apologies @stefanocps !!!!

aahhhh well, it sounded strange to me about the poor af performance. in fact the 700 has improved the af, this is one of the better thing. Well zv1 for ax100 has much sense, zv1 for an ax700 it is on a border.. 🙂

5 hours ago, stefanocps said:

the canon xa40 has the smaller sensor though...why you suggest that over panasonic for example?

Sorry about that. You are correct. I was talking about the XA50, which is more expensive.

Either Panasonic or Sony will prove useful tools within their limits. You can't go wrong.

My experience with video cams from both brands since the mini-dv era has been very good. 

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

There's still a lot to be said for camcorders. I'd probably still use them if they retained their value. They are, without hesitation, my favorite form factor. 

I think the opposite🙂

For what i see camcorder that are x years old cost more (compared to their initial value) than a camera same x year old. TAKE the ax700, it is almost 6 years old project, it cost still a lot( used). A camera from 2017 is heavily surpassed, at lest there are 2 newer version so that old model value is low. May be this is the point, camera are not updated frequently, so ax700 is still the top for that prosumer area, even after 6 years, and it retains the value. ALSO the brand makes the difference in preserving the value, sony costs always  more than other for example

7 hours ago, stefanocps said:

I think the opposite🙂

For what i see camcorder that are x years old cost more (compared to their initial value) than a camera same x year old. TAKE the ax700, it is almost 6 years old project, it cost still a lot( used). A camera from 2017 is heavily surpassed, at lest there are 2 newer version so that old model value is low. May be this is the point, camera are not updated frequently, so ax700 is still the top for that prosumer area, even after 6 years, and it retains the value. ALSO the brand makes the difference in preserving the value, sony costs always  more than other for example

Yes, they cost more or preserve most of their value bc the people who sell then know they will solve most of the user's needs years down the line.

Take a look at the famous 3CCD Panny cameras still being sold for ridiculous prices. The ones that record on P2 cards or SD cards. They are almost 20 years old!

The videocamera world seems less prone to "feature differentiation" like the MILC and DSLR environment, since the form factor has remained intact for a looooong time.

Once every 10 years or so a new technology will come around and make videocameras lose a huge amount of their original price, but we can count those eras with one hand:

Cassetes-->miniDV

MiniDV-->SD cards

CCD-->CMOS

HD-->Full HD

Full HD-->4K

5 minutes ago, EduPortas said:

Yes, they cost more or preserve most of their value bc the people who sell then know they will solve most of the user's needs years down the line.

Take a look at the famous 3CCD Panny cameras still being sold for ridiculous prices. The ones that record on P2 cards or SD cards. They are almost 20 years old!

The videocamera world seems less prone to "feature differentiation" like the MILC and DSLR environment, since the form factor has remained intact for a looooong time.

Once every 10 years or so a new technology will come around and make videocameras lose a huge amount of their original price, but we can count those eras with one hand:

Cassetes-->miniDV

MiniDV-->SD cards

CCD-->CMOS

HD-->Full HD

Full HD-->4K

yes..the camcorder market produce new tool only for big change..not like cameras that produce new tools almost every year with less differences ..

The AG-DVX200 retailed for close to $5,000 and within a few years was almost half that on the used market (it has since rebounded since it's now discontinued.) Obviously mirrorless cameras don't retain their value much better, BUT lenses do. Absolutely there are some camcorders that will retain their value, but a lot don't. If you buy one of the prosumer/lower end camcorders out there right now (and there aren't a ton) they'll lose their value pretty quickly; I found that out the hard way about 5 years ago when I purchased a bunch of them for multicamera live streaming for my old company. If I had to do it over I'd either go a cheaper route or go mirrorless. It was a real kick in the balls to see how cheap Sony PXW-X70's were on the second hand market a year after we bought them.