panasonic hc x1500

stefanocps

Hello, it is a while i am looking for a camcorder. Till now, having decided that 1 inch sensor would be fundamental, i have focused on Sony AX700 as the best camera in that area, for money,size quality ecc.

Now i am not so firmly convinced that 1 inch sensor it is a MUST..so i started to consider  panasonic hc x1500 as it seems a really interesting camera. I like the size, the possibility to add handle with audio, zoom excursion, 50/60 p, 4:2:2..Those things are really actrattive.

What i can't tell is the IQ, the autofocus and perhaps other things not good that i don't know. I would like to know from x1500 (or 2000 being the same) their experience with this camcorder...and if someone has a direct comparision with ax700, even better
Thanks a lot

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Heck for the price I would rather have a JVC-GY-LS300. A few people on here have one. Might ask them about it in this day and age.

https://www.mpb.com/en-us/product/jvc-gy-ls300-4k-camcorder/sku-1403390?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks

i heard about that, and i know it should be a very nice piece

But i am looking for a proper camcorder, with all the facilities of use, for run and gun, also the 2 models i mentioned seems smaller than the jvc

This footage to me looks great. 

5 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

i heard about that, and i know it should be a very nice piece

But i am looking for a proper camcorder, with all the facilities of use, for run and gun, also the 2 models i mentioned seems smaller than the jvc

It is a camcorder, you crazy?? Sounds like you want a toy one you can stick in your pocket.

Buy a GH6 with a 14-140mm lens and be done with it.😉

I am looking for a camcorder! no gh2,no gh6, those are not camcorder. Gh6 also is a totally different price range. I know i get what i pay..ax700 and panasonic x1500 can be found around 1000 euro second hand. This is my budget, and those are the kind of machine i am looking for

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

See you don't know what you want. There are too many good cameras out now use to buy a camcorder in the same price range. There is a reason nobody makes cheap ones anymore. Hell a good Smartphone is better than most older camcorders now.

i know but i have already a camera a fuji xt3...and anyway for around 1000 euro i wil not get a camera + lens better than ax700. I need something to use in a different way. So i know what i want, perhaps don t know exactly what model, but the type of tool yes

Well I have had a dozen or more of them in my life. Lots of older ENG cameras. And none of them ended up as good as they seem like they would. Sure years ago they weren't bad because cameras were sort of bad. But damn your XT3 and a zoom lens that would Kill any camcorder out there. Sony FF camera cameras have that Clear Zoom thingy that makes a normal lens a killer zoom with no loss in quality. So the reach on a camcorder is not as big as a deal with using a Sony.

Yeah there have been threads on here about camcorders but I have seen no rush with people on here actually buying one. I have given it some thought too, but from past experience they are not nearly as good as a "real" camera. Iti s damn hard to beat a big sensor.

Now if you said a Canon C100 with DPAF well sure that is pretty great. I consider them almost a camcorder. EF-S lenses are cheap as heck to use on one. 

I am using an ENG lens on my GH2, GH5, talk about reach. That might be an option.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I have had a dozen or more of them in my life. Lots of older ENG cameras. And none of them ended up as good as they seem like they would. Sure years ago they weren't bad because cameras were sort of bad. But damn your XT3 and a zoom lens that would Kill any camcorder out there. Sony FF camera cameras have that Clear Zoom thingy that makes a normal lens a killer zoom with no loss in quality. So the reach on a camcorder is not as big as a deal with using a Sony.

Yeah there have been threads on here about camcorders but I have seen no rush with people on here actually buying one. I have given it some thought too, but from past experience they are not nearly as good as a "real" camera. Iti s damn hard to beat a big sensor.

Now if you said a Canon C100 with DPAF well sure that is pretty great. I consider them almost a camcorder. EF-S lenses are cheap as heck to use on one. 

I am using an ENG lens on my GH2, GH5, talk about reach. That might be an option.

i totally agree with you about the quality, and this is the reason why i have been wanting a camcorder but i haven't bought it yet. My xt3 it is very good, i love it but when i need to use it it needs many prepare..plus i have 2 lens 18 55 and 55 200 and sometimes need to change the lens. AF is good but on camcorder we just don t need to think about it, stabilization also, though for me it is not a game changer. I have thought to buy a zv1 just to satisfy this need of point and shot, and it still might be an option. if i should do the way you suggest i would need to buy a big extension zoom for my xt3, abandon the idea of stabilzing(Wheter i would need it) and carry with me a machine which would be bulkier than an ax700. andall at the same price. Yes getting a big extension zoom and may be a zv1..could be somehting that will cover my need

9 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

i totally agree with you about the quality, and this is the reason why i have been wanting a camcorder but i haven't bought it yet. My xt3 it is very good, i love it but when i need to use it it needs many prepare..plus i have 2 lens 18 55 and 55 200 and sometimes need to change the lens. AF is good but on camcorder we just don t need to think about it, stabilization also, though for me it is not a game changer. I have thought to buy a zv1 just to satisfy this need of point and shot, and it still might be an option. if i should do the way you suggest i would need to buy a big extension zoom for my xt3, abandon the idea of stabilzing(Wheter i would need it) and carry with me a machine which would be bulkier than an ax700. andall at the same price. Yes getting a big extension zoom and may be a zv1..could be somehting that will cover my need

or to improve the performance overall, expecially AF, i should need to change system, and go to a sony for example a7 iii with a long zoom range...alsoa bulky and pricey solution

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

That Panasonic camcorder has a 1/2.5" sensor. Do you realize how damn small that is??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format#/media/File:Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside.svg

i know i know, quality of video seems nice though, at least what i have seen on youtube, but i woud know from real user. But this is why i was focuse only to 1inch camcorder like ax700. The fact that it is almost 5 years old,it doesnt have 50p at 4k and still cost enough makes me hesitant though, this is why i reconsider that smaller sensor, that at least offer many options, even the possibility to add an handle with xlr mic input

Well, I will admit that I use an iPhone 6s Plus as my daily driver, so sensor size for normal stuff is pretty irrelevant I guess. I just like the output it has better than most of the newer stuff I have had, and well it is damn cheap to boot to buy.

10 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well, I will admit that I use an iPhone 6s Plus as my daily driver, so sensor size for normal stuff is pretty irrelevant I guess. I just like the output it has better than most of the newer stuff I have had, and well it is damn cheap to boot to buy.

having already an aps c i can have smaller sensor for different use like point and shot/documentaristic style, where quality of image may count a bit less than if shooting a movie. But that panasonic has a lot more thing than an iphone that makes it interesting. Otherwise,again the sony ax700 produce very nice images, being in someway limited in certain areas

I had the AX700 and used it as a workhorse every job but last year, swapped it’s role for a ZV1 and sacrificed 70+mm range for:

Size/weight/genuine pocketability.

Faster aperture lens.

Better AF. (The AF on the AX700 can wander off and stay wandered off if you don’t keep an eye on it).

It’s not a camcorder.

I have mine ‘rigged up’ with:

Smallrig cage

Rode Wireless Go

Lightweight tripod

Crane M3 gimbal

Powerbank

File output tweaked as close as I could get it to match my full frame Lumix cameras.

Obviously it does not have the same outright image quality or DR but it’s very good in it’s role as my principal static full duration single wide angle ceremony and speeches unit, but then the gimbal whips off the QR plate and it becomes uber-lightweight gimbal cam for the few times I need such a thing.

The only thing I don’t love about the ZV1 is that it’s branded Sony. Maybe I will get a Lumix sticker for it…

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I had the AX700 and used it as a workhorse every job but last year, swapped it’s role for a ZV1 and sacrificed 70+mm range for:

Size/weight/genuine pocketability.

Faster aperture lens.

Better AF. (The AF on the AX700 can wander off and stay wandered off if you don’t keep an eye on it).

It’s not a camcorder.

I have mine ‘rigged up’ with:

Smallrig cage

Rode Wireless Go

Lightweight tripod

Crane M3 gimbal

Powerbank

File output tweaked as close as I could get it to match my full frame Lumix cameras.

Obviously it does not have the same outright image quality or DR but it’s very good in it’s role as my principal static full duration single wide angle ceremony and speeches unit, but then the gimbal whips off the QR plate and it becomes uber-lightweight gimbal cam for the few times I need such a thing.

The only thing I don’t love about the ZV1 is that it’s branded Sony. Maybe I will get a Lumix sticker for it…

Ahah why you hate sony so much?i am also debating if a zv1 would be a better deal than ax700.But tell me, with all rhat rigging aren t you loosing the main feature of zv1?Size, weight, portability?in rhi way you loosr all the benefit of using a camcorder;did you have more reason to give up ax700?how worste is zv1 IQ than ax700?

Only giving up the long end of the zoom for my purposes, otherwise I am using the ZV1 in 3 different ways:

1. Static unit for long recordings. With power bank it's essentially unlimited recording only limited by card size and power bank.

2. Gimbal cam. I use so little gimbal on any job and only for the same very specific purposes. I do not want any longer set up than 10 seconds. Using the QR plate means that other than switching on the gimbal and taking it off the tripod, it's around 5 seconds to transform from static to fully working gimbal camera.

3: It takes 2 seconds to release the camera from the gimbal and it's a tiny handheld unit. OK, it will not fit in the pocket with the cage but the cage adds to the handling and on a pro job, makes it look less like a compact camera.

I don't 'hate' Sony as such, but rather just find them a very functional but otherwise boring camera company. Ie, their stuff works, but I get no joy from using any of it.

But the main reason I gave up the AX700 is the AF. It is not reliable and the ZV1 is about as a good as it gets. 

The ZV1 just suits my needs better in the role(s) I use it for.