New Firmware for R5/R6/R3

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
36 minutes ago, Django said:

FWIW, he went from C70 to FX3 to R5 to R5C.. and now back to R5?! all in the span of 10 months lol. 

Yeah! While I am still on my R5 that was bought 2 years ago lol 😆  But seems like he still have FX3? So some camera he just keep I think.

I bought R5 mainly for the no overheating on standard 4k, I don't really that 8k or 45mp, but lately on some greenscreen shot i done the 8k is quite useful for controlling spills like woman's hair or wedding veil due to high resolution.

On 7/22/2022 at 8:32 AM, PannySVHS said:

R5 in 8K RAW has less latitude in the shadows than a Lumix S5 in downsampled 4K, has half the battery life, triple the price of the S5. Worlds best camera it is not, though for your needs it might be of course. But that I wouldnt be able to know, of course.:) Now let´s test the camera running in the sun of current climate change days. I bet it will not look good, since the hardware is the same, with lack of any kind of sufficient cooling. @FHDcrew

Class leading latitude in the shadows by the Lumix S5. R5 has impressive resolution and looks great up to ETTR -5.

1974-300Prozent_Auge-300Prozent_Auge.jpg

I would say the R5 does respectably well for a 45MP FSI sensor compared to those other cameras in that test. S5 definitely is a goat, if you don't need reliable video AF.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:37 PM, Ty Harper said:

Anyone on here with R5C experience that can tell me how the battery life compares to say a 5D MKIII?

It sucks ass.

- A R5C owner

I enjoy using the camera though and just carry 3x more batteries with me than if using just my R5. You can rig and shoot for hours but I don't like using cables if I don't have too. I would have gotten a C70 but would prefer FF with RF glass I have.

10 hours ago, gt3rs said:

In what settings?

Fully charged lp-e6nh in XF-AVC shows 67min 

LP-E6NH give me on average about 30-35 minutes of actual record time with occasional waveform and false color usage, 4K XF-AFC, Continuous AF, Lens IS. If you are running and gunning you can use the media button hack and extend standby battery life considerably probably even more if you flick the IS Off on the lens as well.

On 7/29/2022 at 8:04 PM, gt3rs said:

I get your arguments and are valid but if you really fear to miss the moment then video with a higher ss may be a better strategy now that camera have high res video that can take a lot of post processing.

Yes and this is where for me the R5 is interesting because ditch the ND’s and crank the shutter speed to say min 1/250th and then simply pull stills.

I have tried with in both 4k 50p and 6k 25p mode with my Lumix cameras.

Pretty decent results so I can imagine what 8k stills would be like.

As a fast-paced hybrid shooter faced at any point with one or the other, it’s easy, go video because you have a chance of pulling stills from the footage but you can’t make a movie from your stills unless shooting 24/25fps!

One day I need to do an entire job of exclusively not shooting any stills but pulling it all 100% from the video.

Now it ‘does not’ overheat, that could be interesting with an R5…

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Maybe it is time to forgive the EOS R5

Yep, it’s like blaming the child for the actions of the parent.

Along with the Z9, ‘ultimate’ hybrid at this point in time for me. Time for Lumix to up their game…

Yeah I'm still pretty upset the R6 didn't get any kind of overheating fix but at least R5 seems like a solid option now.

I'm in the US currently and there are some pretty good deals ($3,500) not to mention the second hand market. 

This makes the R5 a lot more appealing than the R5C now imo since you gain IBIS, battery life etc for at least a $1000 cheaper.

Kind of a game changer I guess. Its finally the killer hybrid spec camera it was meant to be and the price is getting appealing too.

1 hour ago, Django said:

Yeah I'm still pretty upset the R6 didn't get any kind of overheating fix but at least R5 seems like a solid option now.

Indeed, but I guess the R6 is just too cheap so to protect the R5 sales, they will not fix the overheating. Still surprised they didn't limit the R6 to 1 sd card and max 1/4000 shutter like the 6D series.

5 hours ago, Django said:

Sì, sono ancora piuttosto sconvolto dal fatto che l'R6 non abbia ricevuto alcun tipo di correzione per il surriscaldamento, ma almeno l'R5 sembra un'opzione solida ora.

Attualmente sono negli Stati Uniti e ci sono degli affari piuttosto buoni ($ 3.500) per non parlare del mercato dell'usato. 

Questo rende l'R5 molto più attraente dell'R5C ora imo poiché guadagni IBIS, durata della batteria ecc. Per almeno $ 1000 in meno.

Una specie di punto di svolta, immagino. È finalmente la fotocamera ibrida killer che doveva essere e anche il prezzo sta diventando allettante.

If I remember correctly, the r6 does not have a magnesium body like the r5, so it has less passive dissipation.

On 7/27/2022 at 9:14 AM, Simon Young said:

This dude has measured the temperature of the outside of the camera when recording with the new firmware. It seems to stabilize to around 102 degrees Fahrenheit around 60 minutes and then stay there in 4KHQ.

In 120 fps mode the camera measured at 110 F which is above 43 degrees C. This is sufficient to cause skin burn. Since the tests were done indoors, it would be logical to think that in full outdoor sunlight in a warm climate, in high mode the temperatures can reach higher temperatures also in the other (not slow motion) modes. It seems Canon is doing what it can. They offer the standard mode which should not cause burns in normal circumstances, and the high mode which might cause burns in some conditions if the user is not careful when touching the camera, and then they offer the R5C with fan to offer a hardware cooling solution to the problem. It seems reasonable that Canon is addressing the problem in this stepwise fashion as they get more experience and user reports with the hardware. The other option would have been to delay the camera's launch until a comprehensive solution can be offered (either in hardware or in terms of more refined options in safety algorithms and appropriate warning notices to go with certain settings) and lose market share.

Making a camera that shoots even 6K, let alone 8K without a fan is just about crazy for any manufacture to do. I have no clue what they were thinking. 

Sure, the Nikon Z9 is somewhat doing it but it is a huge camera. The Sony A1 is not great at it either long term.

My Sony Xperia Pro-1 gets so hot you can't even hold it after awhile in 4K 120p, not counting the battery goes south in a heartbeat.

On 7/31/2022 at 9:45 AM, MrSMW said:

Yes and this is where for me the R5 is interesting because ditch the ND’s and crank the shutter speed to say min 1/250th and then simply pull stills.

I have tried with in both 4k 50p and 6k 25p mode with my Lumix cameras.

Pretty decent results so I can imagine what 8k stills would be like.

As a fast-paced hybrid shooter faced at any point with one or the other, it’s easy, go video because you have a chance of pulling stills from the footage but you can’t make a movie from your stills unless shooting 24/25fps!

One day I need to do an entire job of exclusively not shooting any stills but pulling it all 100% from the video.

Now it ‘does not’ overheat, that could be interesting with an R5…

I do this a lot and a now most of my remote camera work I take a video, much easier and no missed moment, trigger not working, interference, etc... 

I posted a thread a while a go with many examples of photos taken from the video mostly sport/actions.
I find 8k RAW quite similar to a RAW picture in term of what I can do in post processing. Of course, one in 17:9 and the other 3:2. I wish the camera could do open gate as it gives even more reframing possibility and better to extract vertical pictures. 

Especially for sports/action many don't even notice the higher shutter speed. Again, if the target is video, I use the 180 rule but many times I need both then I compromise. And sometime the panned shoots are also great with the slow shutter speed like the picture a posted in this thread. 

Workflow I kind of find an ok solution, the only thing I wish that you could export DNG from resolve instead tiff (or jpg).