New Firmware for R5/R6/R3

ntblowz

18 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Who said anything about unlimited recording times? It was never an expectation of anyone about rolling unlimited number of hours in 8K.

For those with short memories - We were sold a camera 2 years ago which was borderline unusable, shutting down from sitting idle in the menus, because of a badly implemented fake cripple hammer timer. There should have been a class action lawsuit brought.

Canon soon realised they had a PR disaster on their hands so rolled out a firmware update and got all their client journalists to hype it up. That update did very little to improve recording times. We had been mis-sold and mislead into buying a camera that was advertised to do professional 8K and 4K video at highest quality when it couldn't even get through 20 minutes of sitting idle on set or an hour of light stills use before blocking you out of major headline features you paid for. Then to make it worse they refused to apologise, and left it out there software-crippled for 2 years before fixing it.

But yeah you cannot expect anything more for your $4000... whatever Doug.

The photo mode was great.  All the video functions were great as well, except the time limit.  It didn't bother me because a) there was the hack and b) I did use multiple cameras anyway.  For 2-3 hours straight recording I would have used other cameras anyway.  Canon did overfulfil by adding 8K and other stuff that didn't exist in that price range, so I wasn't disappointed. As far as I can remember Canon did announce the limitations right away.  Still using the R5 too long can't be recommended because it's really getting too hot.  If they had added a fan, of course it wouldn't have been the same price point and also not what many other users wanted.  Of course I welcome that the workaround just in case longer times are not needed is not necessary anymore. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
10 minutes ago, douglaurent said:

The photo mode was great.  All the video functions were great as well, except the time limit.  It didn't bother me because a) there was the hack and b) I did use multiple cameras anyway.  For 2-3 hours straight recording I would have used other cameras anyway.  Canon did overfulfil by adding 8K and other stuff that didn't exist in that price range, so I wasn't disappointed. As far as I can remember Canon did announce the limitations right away.  Still using the R5 too long can't be recommended because it's really getting too hot.  If they had added a fan, of course it wouldn't have been the same price point and also not what many other users wanted.  Of course I welcome that the workaround just in case longer times are not needed is not necessary anymore. 

It was all a fake limit!!

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You must have been doing very light use and very short shoots in those modes, especially 4K HQ.

The question is why didn't the camera perform like this in the first place 2 years ago?

Why only fix it now?

2 years!

Let's not forget they had the C70 and R5C to launch! LOL ; )

Well I must admit they've convinced me with tne R5C though so I should be grateful to their fake limit... 8K60p is priceless to my book :- )

4 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

The digial IS for wide angle definitely improved, the wobble is much less now, can feel like Panasonic level of stabilisation.

Yeah lol!  Seriously if R5 performs like this at first I dont think that many people will get R5C.

Except for that 8K60p I guess you had missed my edit in the meantime and there's a new firmware update there too:

Sad to see Canon play us like this. Sold my R5 a long time ago and lost a chunk of money. 

This dude has measured the temperature of the outside of the camera when recording with the new firmware. It seems to stabilize to around 102 degrees Fahrenheit around 60 minutes and then stay there in 4KHQ.

I wonder if the sensor gets noisier with these temperatures sustained. Have you noticed anything Andrew?

Just now, Simon Young said:

Sad to see Canon play us like this. Sold my R5 a long time ago and lost a chunk of money.

You're fully right, they should never play losses on our end for sure. Such indifference is unacceptable and we must always let them be aware of our tolerance zero with.

So they fixed the R5 overheating a.k.a auto temp shut off but didn't bother fixing it on the R6?!

Now that really pisses me off. Canon is playing mind games again. They want you to fork +$4K for a non-overheating FF 4K camera. $2500 isn't good enough. Probably only fixed the R5 as they were losing sales to R5C.

This really makes me wanna ditch their system.

2 hours ago, Django said:

So they fixed the R5 overheating a.k.a auto temp shut off but didn't bother fixing it on the R6?!

Now that really pisses me off. Canon is playing mind games again. They want you to fork +$4K for a non-overheating FF 4K camera. $2500 isn't good enough. Probably only fixed the R5 as they were losing sales to R5C.

This really makes me wanna ditch their system.

Canon went back to its bad crippling habits. Once you have a habit it’s hard to break it. They tried breaking it, but they quit attending their EOSHD counseling sessions and went back to their old ways 😂 

A real shame. I want an R5 now, but I do feel bad for all who held off on the R5 or bought the R5C because of this fake issue. 

I did sell one of my two R5 and added a R5c as I posted in the other thread.
At the beginning I was not too happy about the R5c but now I like it more than the R5 other than the battery issue that basically makes it a rig only camera. And I did not buy it due to the time limit as it was not an issue for me other than 4k 120…. Initially it was for the 8k 60 and audio on the 120fps.

I filmed 5 days of MTB and 2 days of Surfing in the last two weeks, and I reach out more to the R5c (A cam) than the R5 (B cam).

They are quite different, the R5 even more with the new FW is a really good hybrid, the R5c is a cinema camera that you can turn in a great photo camera, it seems the same but when you use them both you realize the differences.

Plus for the R5c:

8k 60 RAW

4k 60 much better quality than R5

4k 120 with sound and noticeably better quality than R5

S35 5.9k RAW

XAVC much easier to edit than h265

Face only AF, AF around the point only

Cinema OS makes more sense for filming.

False color, waveform, magnification while recording etc…

Customization of what to show in which screen VF vs LCD vs HDMI, safe marks etc.

Port protector let you flip the screen

Media playback UI, I really hated at first, but I discovered how to control it with the touch screen and joystick (not the wheel as I was used) and is better that the R5. Still lacks lut support and a quicker way to delete videos imo.

Plus for the R5

Battery, battery and battery so no need to rig it and cables that can break etc...

More AF zones type, Animal and Car AF

IBIS (although I find it a problem in some cases like on gimbal with long lenses and wobble on wide angles)

Faster switch photo video (I thought that the R5c would bother me but for my usage is non issue and I do switch quite frequently)

C1-C3 modes this is so needed on the R5c

Bigger UI font

Wifi works in video mode too (this is ridiculous on the R5c that only works in photo mode)

AF the way I use it is very similar in term of performance some stuff are better on the R5 and some on the R5c I really wish they would merge the two functionalities.

If it would not be for the battery challenge, I would probably sell the R5 and get a second R5c.

i-42tQ2rN-X3.thumb.jpg.824dce155ca205788b10ed6296ae261d.jpg

i-KWnBH2Z-X3.thumb.jpg.719157b23939a4251b3288219b03c98f.jpg

i-5hqX7Ws-X3.thumb.jpg.58d863a3dffd0dc3c0615c2ded329acb.jpg

i-ZwxKB2J-X3.thumb.jpg.69690b0d3d5b834f44dcd7c79772a564.jpg

2 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I did sell one of my two R5 and added a R5c as I posted in the other thread.
At the beginning I was not too happy about the R5c but now I like it more than the R5 other than the battery issue that basically makes it a rig only camera. And I did not buy it due to the time limit as it was not an issue for me other than 4k 120…. Initially it was for the 8k 60 and audio on the 120fps.

I filmed 5 days of MTB and 2 days of Surfing in the last two weeks, and I reach out more to the R5c (A cam) than the R5 (B cam).

They are quite different, the R5 even more with the new FW is a really good hybrid, the R5c is a cinema camera that you can turn in a great photo camera, it seems the same but when you use them both you realize the differences.

Plus for the R5c:

8k 60 RAW

4k 60 much better quality than R5

4k 120 with sound and noticeably better quality than R5

S35 5.9k RAW

XAVC much easier to edit than h265

Face only AF, AF around the point only

Cinema OS makes more sense for filming.

False color, waveform, magnification while recording etc…

Customization of what to show in which screen VF vs LCD vs HDMI, safe marks etc.

Port protector let you flip the screen

Media playback UI, I really hated at first, but I discovered how to control it with the touch screen and joystick (not the wheel as I was used) and is better that the R5. Still lacks lut support and a quicker way to delete videos imo.

Plus for the R5

Battery, battery and battery so no need to rig it and cables that can break etc...

More AF zones type, Animal and Car AF

IBIS (although I find it a problem in some cases like on gimbal with long lenses and wobble on wide angles)

Faster switch photo video (I thought that the R5c would bother me but for my usage is non issue and I do switch quite frequently)

C1-C3 modes this is so needed on the R5c

Bigger UI font

Wifi works in video mode too (this is ridiculous on the R5c that only works in photo mode)

AF the way I use it is very similar in term of performance some stuff are better on the R5 and some on the R5c I really wish they would merge the two functionalities.

If it would not be for the battery challenge, I would probably sell the R5 and get a second R5c.

i-42tQ2rN-X3.thumb.jpg.824dce155ca205788b10ed6296ae261d.jpg

i-KWnBH2Z-X3.thumb.jpg.719157b23939a4251b3288219b03c98f.jpg

i-5hqX7Ws-X3.thumb.jpg.58d863a3dffd0dc3c0615c2ded329acb.jpg

i-ZwxKB2J-X3.thumb.jpg.69690b0d3d5b834f44dcd7c79772a564.jpg

Beautiful footage!  Great camera, even greater talent🙂

On 7/26/2022 at 9:55 PM, Andrew Reid said:

It was all a fake limit!!

Sure it was a random limitation, but every camera contains limitations that could have been solved better by the manufacturers.  And in this case the camera really does overheat quickly in an unhealthy way, so it's not a completely senseless limit.  The 5D2 also shut down when it became too hot, and nobody did talk about it.  I think the limitation was not something to be happy about, but it also by far wasn't the scandal of the decade.  Who else is giving great 8K with excellent autofocus and stabilization evern now, 2 years later, for such a low price?   Anyway, the issue is over now and I'm very content having 2 R5 and 2 R5C with timeless capabilities and even 8K60.  I was the most extreme complaining person about Canon in 2015 when the competition was the A7R2 which was way ahead, but right now there are hardly any wishes left.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:00 AM, Emanuel said:

Let's not forget they had the C70 and R5C to launch! LOL ; )

Well I must admit they've convinced me with tne R5C though so I should be grateful to their fake limit... 8K60p is priceless to my book :- )

2 very good test very thorough with a good analysis

-https://www.repaire.net/forums/articles/canon-r5c-vs-canon-r5-des-performances-en-video-tres-differentes.1274/

-https://www.repaire.net/forums/articles/testbox-canon-r5c-comparatif-canon-c70-sony-fx6-red-v-raptor.1275/