New Firmware for R5/R6/R3

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The one that came today, people getting over 2hrs of 8K without overheating.

EOS R5 Firmware Update Version 1.6.0

22nd July 2022

Firmware Version 1.6.0 incorporates the following enhancements:

1. Adds [Auto Power Off Temp.: Standard/High] to the menu for movie recording. When [High] is selected, the camera will not automatically turn off when the temperature of the camera body and card become high, which may allow for longer movie recording than before, depending on the shooting conditions. Note that the temperature of the bottom surface of the camera may increase at this time.

2. Adds the ability to convert multiple HEIF images into multiple JPEG images.

3. Enhances the performance of "Movie Digital IS". It stabilizes the image when taking selfies or walking shots using a wide-angle lens.

4. Fixes minor issues.

R5 in 8K RAW has less latitude in the shadows than a Lumix S5 in downsampled 4K, has half the battery life, triple the price of the S5. Worlds best camera it is not, though for your needs it might be of course. But that I wouldnt be able to know, of course.:) Now let´s test the camera running in the sun of current climate change days. I bet it will not look good, since the hardware is the same, with lack of any kind of sufficient cooling. @FHDcrew

Class leading latitude in the shadows by the Lumix S5. R5 has impressive resolution and looks great up to ETTR -5.

1974-300Prozent_Auge-300Prozent_Auge.jpg

Interesting news but feels like something you'd use very sparingly or risk shortening the life of your R5. So for someone like me that's been leaning to the R5c (it just seems like the ultimate package for a Canon- leaning run n gun shooter) - this update doesn't change the fact that if I went with an R5, I'd still have to at least buy a Ninja V for scopes and safer recording options. And actually now I'd prob want to invest in CfExpress cards whereas before I wasn't even thinking about that... so in a way it increases the overall cost. Might just be worth it to save up for the R5C allthough if Canon offered an R5 firmware update that at least gave it Waveform or False Color - now THAT would be something indeed!

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Indeed and that R5C's 8K 60p is unbeatable right now. Let alone the IBIS artifacts to pop up right there...

The new update also fixing the UW wobbling with the digital IS.

I think I m gonna cancel the R7 pre-order (still no update from my shop ugh) My R5 is reborn again with this new update.

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

So it was a fake timer then.

Possibly. Either way definitely exciting. I’d love myself an R5 right now. Just don’t have the funds. Then again we’ve reached diminishing returns; my Nikon Z6/Ninja V combo is doing just fine 🙂

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

So it was a fake timer then.

...which put them to be ashamed for, to my book : )

On the other hand, no surprises here, the world is cruel anyway, as I've heard this week from someone who had no fear of dead people, only living ones.

It's mere waste of time, it is what it is... But people should call it what it is with no thrift.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

I did shoot yesterday all day on 4k50p and some 100p, no overheating symbol once! Soo over the moon with this update! 

Man if they do that in the first place 2 years ago it will be way different market now.

It all goes to prove our original point that it was a purposeful software limitation, and that you were not allowed to use the full capabilities of the hardware you just paid £4000 for. It should have been a class action lawsuit and maybe Canon knows it, which is why this u-turn has happened.

At least we don't have to do the card trick now.

I currently have an EOS R5 because I'm a hypocrite. So I'll see if it can go the full 2 hours of 8K without the card pull, and report back.

Well I am thoroughly pissed with my R5 right now....have had it a little over a month and have to send it in for repairs already....MAJOR EVF lag. Have been shooting runway shows for 2wks straight and my keeper rate was below 60% because of the lag.

I also shot a few b-roll clips for the C70 with the R5; it was 95F, outdoors not direct sunlight mostly photography with a few clips up to 2min long at 4K60FPS not even using the 4K HQ option and I got the overheat warning. I suppose before I send it in I will update the firmware to 1.6 to at least "fix" the fake overheating problem. My C70 was filming 4K Raw LT almost continuously at the same time and I had no issues with it.

I have also had weird issues with the R5 where the shutter button after being half pressed for too long while in eye tracking mode will not take the picture after going from half pressed to fully pressed on the shutter button. Had to fully let off of the shutter button, hope it re-aquired the eye tracking after pressing the shutter button again before taking the picture.....and typically finding out after the shot that the EVF display was so far behind that the moment was long gone. If I could take the R5 back today I would do so and stick with my 5DIV for another few years.

As far as shortening the life of the camera with the new firmware, I really don't think that's a big deal at this point. I got the 4yr Canon CarePAK coverage so the motherboard could fry itself tomorrow and Canon would still have to repair or replace it. I am surprised that they did not remove the ridiculous 30min recording limit with this FW update. The R7 doesn't have it, and its long gone from Panasonic and I think Sony cameras as well, no idea what Canon is waiting on.

I do think since Canon does have to honor their CarePAK coverage that at a minimum Canon doesn't expect the cameras to fail within 4yrs even with the new FW otherwise they wouldn't have released it due to the potential cost of replacing customer's R5s.

I have spent 5 years on this forum complaining about every camera on the market. All I needed was 4K120, great reliable AF, IBIS, full frame, 10 bit, and great photo capabilities. We always had some of those specs in a camera but never all of them together in one package. 
Then the R5 was released. I sold my Sony, and been happily shooting ever since. You probably didn’t see me post anything since then. It has all the specs I listed and MORE (canon colors, great ergonomics etc). 
after 2Y of use I am still extremely happy with the R5. First time in 10y that I couldn’t care less about any camera release. 
the temperature issue is a joke. I have been shooting for 2 years and never got any overheating once.