GH4 recording 1080p25 10bit to Ninja2/Blade

Richard Gillespie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I'll try this weekend but I don't see a whole lot of point considering how much better the 4K image is and how you effectively get 10bit from it anyway when down sampled to 1080p in post! Not forgetting smaller file sizes than ProRes too!

Thank you guys. I take your point Andrew but I rarely do any of the post-production on what I shoot, on a 90min doc you end up with a lot of rushes, at the moment no one I work with wants 4k because of the additional cost in storage and post. It would be fantastic to deliver rushes that are either DNXHD or PRORES, ready to edit, no transcoding. I have been shooting recently with a C100 and Ninja and deliver ready to edit files. I have never had a great deal of confidence in the Canon 8bit 4:2:2 codec. Could the GH4 and a Ninja be a great documentary solution? I'll be trying it out next week but appreciate your input very much.

The Ninja Star would go pretty well with the GH4 as the cam already has peaking, histogram etc. Drop the Star in your pocket and you're still just carrying a small DSLM.

Thank you guys. I take your point Andrew but I rarely do any of the post-production on what I shoot, on a 90min doc you end up with a lot of rushes, at the moment no one I work with wants 4k because of the additional cost in storage and post. It would be fantastic to deliver rushes that are either DNXHD or PRORES, ready to edit, no transcoding. I have been shooting recently with a C100 and Ninja and deliver ready to edit files. I have never had a great deal of confidence in the Canon 8bit 4:2:2 codec. Could the GH4 and a Ninja be a great documentary solution? I'll be trying it out next week but appreciate your input very much.

You say nobody wants to work with 4K because of storage, but ProRes 1080p is a lot bigger than the internal 100 mbps 4K from the GH4.

If people are afraid to handle it, I'd say shoot 4K yourself, transcode to DNxHD/PRORES... 1080p 4:4:4. Saves you the trouble of using the Blade during recording, and you are recording small 100 Mbps 4K files...

Keep the 4K files for the future :)