Shooting sports stills with anamorphic: Suggestions?

Ryu Voelkel

Hello there. 

Call me reactionary, but I saw this last night:

Shooting with an Anamorphic Lens on an Ordinary DSLR

I shoot stills and I shoot sports.  I really want to try this out for my next shoot. So for the past couple of hours, I've tried to learn as much as possible about what to get.  The dude on the above link recommended this:

http://www.vid-atlantic.com/lensshop/isco-19x-anamorphic-lens

Mmm… Too expensive.  I then went onto research the sharpness and flare characteristic of the well-known anamorphic lens and obviously price.  

I'm down to Kowa Prominar and Iscorama Centavision. 

Any opinions on these two?  By the way, I'm shooting with Nikon D4.  Since I already travel to shoots with lots of gear, I would prefer the setup to be as small as possible.  

I also want to know which lens I should get with either of those two anamorphics.  I'm assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong), but I should go for a 85mm lens as suggested by many?  Jupiter or Nikon 85mm f2.0?  Again from what I've seen and read, focal length between 85 and 100mm produces the best result when it comes to still because there will be enough separation between the subject in the foreground and the background.  

Is the minimum focusing length out there for these type of lens is 150cm?  Are there ones that would focus closer?

I apologise in advance for so many not so bright questions.  But I would really appreciate any input on this matter.   :wacko:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks John.

I've read a bit more and the only thing I can do to make the minimum focusing distance shorter is a diopter ring.  

Do you have any thoughts on which of the anamorphic lens to get?  Which one is smaller?

And the actual lens.  Read on this site that 85mm is pushing it for anamorphic.  Should I go for a 50mm instead?

And the actual lens.  Read on this site that 85mm is pushing it for anamorphic.  Should I go for a 50mm instead?

If 85mm is 'pushing it' you should go for a longer focal length, not shorter. With shorter you'll get vignetting.

Are you aware of the dual focus mechanism? Don't expect to be shooting sports with continuous AF and an anamorphic lens. You have to focus both the taking lens and the anamorphic. So following fast moving subjects is kind of out of the question.

John, Thanks.  I can't seem to locate any copy of Bell&Howell less than 800 USD.  I really would not want to spend that much if I can help it. Is the Prominar or the Centavision that much worse than the B&H?

Julian, Thanks.  I have been looking around for a Nikon MF 85mm f2 and I think that should do the job.  I looked into the Jupiter and it looks like it's a bit of a hit or miss with that lens.  As for the focusing, yes, I'm aware that you have to focus both lenses.  I won't be following a moving subject wit this lens.  If anything moves within the frame, it will be going from side to side and not towards and away from me.  Or I'll tell them to stop moving. :)

Is the Prominar or the Centavision that much worse than the B&H?

They should be fine too.

I think you have to be patient if you're looking for a bargain to avoid the want it now prices.

Always check for tool marks on the slots of the front retaining ring - this is a sure sign that an inexperienced person has been messing with the optic ;)

Just an update.  Got a Kowa BH for 600 USD.  More than what I wanted to pay for, but the deal was too good to pass up.  Now trying to get the clamp from Redstan, but they are out of stock… Are the Vid-Atlantic clamps as good as Redstans?

Yes I did.  I emailed Alan directly.  He gave me a choice of a single for 45 GBP or double for 55 GBP.  Have no idea what the double one does, so I told him that I want to pair it with a Nikon 85mm f2.  Now I'm wondering if I should go for the front element filter holder as I want to shoot this thing wide open in daylight…

Get both front and rear clamps, well worth the extra price. I have the same lens you have with Redstan clamps. Having the Redstan clamps with the anamorphic will increase it's resale value considerably, should you be worried about such things.

Ask him if he still has 0.4 ATX Tokina diopters for sale. They're the best diopter out there, and they're not getting any easier to find. He had some when I got clamps, so I got one, and let's just say I'm never getting rid of it, even if I do upgrade anamorphics.

Thanks Caleb. I got both clamps.  He gave me a good deal. :)

As for the diopters, well, that's 300 quid that I don't have at this moment.  The minimum focusing distance of the KBH is 1 meter, so in most cases it should be fine.  Crossing my fingers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Caleb,

Yes they are and I received them couple of days ago.

And now I have all the lenses.  Taking lens (Nikon 85mm f2), Kowa BH, and Redstan clamp.

But I'm having a really difficult time focusing.  Or I've not succeeded at all in focusing.

First I focus with the Nikon, which is connected to the Redstan clamp.  Then I put on the Kowa BH and I try to focus with that, but when I look at what I've shot on the D4's lcd screen, it's hardly in focus.  Am I doing something wrong?  I also received a ring with the clamp and I have no idea what this is for?  Is this for the closeup ring?  

But most importantly, I really don't understand why it's not focusing at all… :(

Ryu

But I'm having a really difficult time focusing.  Or I've not succeeded at all in focusing.

First I focus with the Nikon, which is connected to the Redstan clamp.  Then I put on the Kowa BH and I try to focus with that, but when I look at what I've shot on the D4's lcd screen, it's hardly in focus.  Am I doing something wrong?  I also received a ring with the clamp and I have no idea what this is for?  Is this for the closeup ring?  

But most importantly, I really don't understand why it's not focusing at all… :(

Ryu

Sorry to hear of your issues. Try this

Set your taking lens to 2m and point your rig at some grass (the lawn type).

Now rotate your scope slowly from MFD 1.5m to far. If you do not succeed in finding focus at some point it means your scope is out of alignment and you should return it for a refund.

Connect your D4 to a television and do the tests, it will save you a lot of nerves. If the anamorphic is out of alignment ,what I have observed is that the object you are focusing on will be stretched vertically and as soon as you are coming into focus it goes immediatly into horizontal stretch. It's kind of wierd to look at...

John,

Thanks.  Tried it and it looks like things are in focus and when I look at it on the screen of my computer, it's completely blurry.  I tried your test and couldn't find focus. 

Araucaria,

Thanks.  Tried your test as well.  I don't experience the vertical horizontal stretch phenomenon.  I just cannot find any focus at all.  I focus on the TV with my taking lens and then I put my Kowa on and try to find focus with that.  I've tried finding focus through the viewfinder, through the live view, and then just putting the focus distance the same distance as the taking lens.  None of them work and all of my images come out blurry. 

Oh my. :(

How close did you focus? Try something 3 meters away, depending on the anamorphic lens (I don't know about the kowa) you might not be able to focus on short ranges.

Upload some image sample to flickr and post the highres link here, maybe you are expecting too much.

As John has said put a book or something 2D with writing on it about 2m away & with you cam on a tripod, focus the taking lens.

Then put the anamorphic on & focus that, you might need to do some fine adjustments on both the taking lens & the anamorphic to get a perfectly sharp picture.

Also, can you zoom in to help you focus? Do it!

Remember, that the anamorphic has a min focus distance of around 1.5m, so if you get closer than that to something you'll never achieve focus.