Canon EOS M Cinematic 4K RAW - Magic Lantern

Bozzie

Magic Lantern for the Canon EOS M really does turn this little camera into a cinematic pocket rocket. Shame so much fine detail and grain is lost with the upload.

Post Process:

• 1. Convert video files in MLV app to Arri Log C
  • 2. Render out from MLV app as ProRes 422
  • 3. Color Grade Arri LOG C files in DaVinci Resolve under a Kodak 2383 Emulation LUT
  • 3. Edit & Render out as ProRes 422

Filmed with a small DIY Anamorfake filter that I made a while back which sits behind the lens. No lens flares, just a certain aesthetic that I personally like :) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/18/2022 at 8:07 PM, Bozzie said:

Magic Lantern for the Canon EOS M really does turn this little camera into a cinematic pocket rocket. Shame so much fine detail and grain is lost with the upload.

Post Process:

• 1. Convert video files in MLV app to Arri Log C
  • 2. Render out from MLV app as ProRes 422
  • 3. Color Grade Arri LOG C files in DaVinci Resolve under a Kodak 2383 Emulation LUT
  • 3. Edit & Render out as ProRes 422

Filmed with a small DIY Anamorfake filter that I made a while back which sits behind the lens. No lens flares, just a certain aesthetic that I personally like 🙂 

ML with Canon truly is some special images.  If you can get over the lower DR, poorer lowlight, and lack of stabilisation then the images can be truly excellent.  I found the grain from it on my 700D to be spectacular as well, very natural feeling.

On 7/18/2022 at 9:01 PM, FHDcrew said:

Yeah the EOS M is a beast. If someone ever stole my camera and I needed an emergency dirt cheap replacement it would probably be one of these ML cameras, EOS M or 5d II 🤣

The other camera that seems to get forgotten is the 700D.  When I last checked it was at the cutting edge of the ML development as one of the most active developers had one, so it got every new feature basically immediately.

The limitation of the 700D compared to the 5D was that the 700D only had ~1700 pixels across the sensor (IIRC that was every third pixel) and if you wanted more horizontal resolution than that then you'd have to crop pretty severely into the sensor, but 1.7K RAW upscaled to 1080p didn't look too bad, especially if you were going for a slightly more organic look.  

The image from the 5D is nicer of course, but I'm yet to see images that the EOS-M can do that the 700D couldn't.

14 hours ago, kye said:

The other camera that seems to get forgotten is the 700D

Thanks for the detailed info on the 700D. Had no idea. I'll be sure to check out some vids on YT. Incredible to think there's so much the ML team have pulled out of these little cams :)

I was once stalked by an emu. true story.  A mate and i were out camping on a another mates property. We'd ventured out for a morning walk and quite enjoyable it was until we heard this deep booming call. It was quite an ominous sound not the kinda sound you can easily forget and straight away you knew it was big.

It was bushy  but it opened up every ten meters or so. These birds are fast, fast as a horse. So it was pretty much, backs against the trees while we kept moving forward after about 5 mins we found a nest with green eggs in it. Never touched the eggs. Took a few photos and kept moving forward, All the time this bird kept calling out, letting us know it was there, after a ten minutes or so the sound died out and we breathed a little easier.

Not once did either of us see it. I will say my mate is a very good hunter, if he couldn't see it  then it didn't want to be seen,  I wouldn't say i was scared, i would say it was one of those times where every sense seemed condensed / focused, even time seemed to slow, not sure how the mind does it but it seems as vivid now as 25 years ago.   

• 1 month later...