Help! Camera(s) for Youtube Late Night Talk Show

kaylee

hey guys!! please help me so i can recommend camera(s) for my friends new ~low budget youtube show~

its a satire of a typical late night talk show... from carson to the present, very similar sets, right? desk, two chairs/couch, etc. this will be a small set in a living room – not the ed sullivan theatre, just fyi

the director wants to start with two cameras, allowing for the possibility of adding more in the future, but they need to match – meaning: we need two inexpensive identical camera bodies. two of the same camera

the camera needs to:

- have reasonable image quality
- shoot forever without overheating
- have a front facing flippy screen
- be super affordable
- it does NOT need to shoot stills at all, a 'camcorder' is totally a possibility (something in know nothing about)

suggestions??

please help!! thank you!! love u guize!!!

EM2kIxlUYAIJziw.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sounds like small camcorder with a decent rocker zoom and manual capability would be ideal.

Markus Pix recently touted the Sony CX405, but it would be smart to look at offerings from other brands:

Tell your friend to put all the cameras side-by-side before shooting, and then to white balance them simultaneously off of the same white/gray card.  Additionally, your friend should shoot a short clip of the white/gray card with each camera -- just in case!

7 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Does it beat the handy Osmo Pocket series?

Camcorder, right? So, forget that cinematic mantra then

OP said that the cameras will be used in a "talk show" setting.

So, they will likely be on sticks and require a lens that can get fairly tight, with smooth zoom-in/zoom-outs.

4 minutes ago, tupp said:

OP said that the cameras will be used in a "talk show" setting.

So, they will likely be on sticks and require a lens that can get fairly tight, with smooth zoom-in/zoom-outs.

Well, in a much Brechtian more interesting setup approach than the conventional one, you'd be able to fix it pretty well... : D

Will this be edited in post or will it be connected to a switcher? 

If it's being done in post then you've got a lot of options. Pretty much any camcorder that allows you to custom white balance will work. I filmed lots of multicam shoots with the Sony hdr-cx580. It's an older camera, but it was decent in low light and worked really well. 

If they're doing it live then two GH5 cameras with primes would work. Even if they do the editing in post the GH5 is a great option, but I specifically say this because it has the full size HDMI out. If they prefer camcorders then the Panasonic HC-MDH3 is the cheapest camcorder you'll find that has a full size HDMI, at least that I know of. 

thanks guys!! im researching these many cheap camcorder options...!

On 7/15/2022 at 8:23 PM, newfoundmass said:

Will this be edited in post or will it be connected to a switcher? 

edited in post – theres some effects that they just cant do live

I’d definitely go with 2 (or more) AIDA cameras fed into a BM Atem for this. They are cheap and capable and the setup is easy to use (either live streamed or recorded - in the latter case there are, of course, multiple options either to record each camera separately and mix in post or simply to record a single output from the Atem).

I use 2 x HD100A but there are other more expensive options.

10 hours ago, Snowfun said:

I’d definitely go with 2 (or more) AIDA cameras fed into a BM Atem for this. They are cheap and capable and the setup is easy to use (either live streamed or recorded - in the latter case there are, of course, multiple options either to record each camera separately and mix in post or simply to record a single output from the Atem).

I use 2 x HD100A but there are other more expensive options.

Interesting tiny cameras.  What are you using them for?

47 minutes ago, kaylee said:

thank you @Snowfun, im new to these~! ill do some research – could you tell me a bit more about them, in a word...?

“Professional”

if I was permitted additional words - convenient, useful, adaptable, manageable, cost-efficient…

I am not a professional broadcaster but for my use they are super little cameras especially when matched to the Atem.

https://aidaimaging.com/hd-100a/

I have two of the cheapest model.