Kendy Ty and the T2i - one guy doing amazing things with a 5 year old DSLR

Andrew Reid

A Drop in the Ocean. His wrists are wrapped with yellow tape. An effective graphic design which draws the eye's attention. Then they're not wrapped. Then they're wrapped. Bad continuity, esp. since the yellow tape is meant to draw your visual attention. Look at 1:25. These kinds of errors should have been caught in the process of repeated viewing.

Kurth: Who gives a crap.

One thing i'm curious about with his films, is there is definitely something going on with the motion rendition. I know he time re-maps in after effects, it may just be that combined with the constant micro jitter that it gives an interesting quality to the motion. But it almost feels like there is some non traditional shutter speeds or twixtor tricks being done in addition.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

A Drop in the Ocean. His wrists are wrapped with yellow tape. An effective graphic design which draws the eye's attention. Then they're not wrapped. Then they're wrapped. Bad continuity, esp. since the yellow tape is meant to draw your visual attention. Look at 1:25. These kinds of errors should have been caught in the process of repeated viewing.

Oh, A Drop In The Ocean was great. Was way too involved in the mood, characters, story, to notice stuff like that. You weren't?

Lol, seriously?

There are a lot of things that are far from perfect in that short, but it's still great. And it's impressive if we keep in mind the shitty camera it's shot with, and that he basically is a 1 man team.

Kurth: Who gives a crap.

One thing i'm curious about with his films, is there is definitely something going on with the motion rendition. I know he time re-maps in after effects, it may just be that combined with the constant micro jitter that it gives an interesting quality to the motion. But it almost feels like there is some non traditional shutter speeds or twixtor tricks being done in addition.

obviously you're just interested in the toyz....not what you can do with them. Editing image continuity is one of the most basic tools that filmmakers use to grab the attention of the viewer. When I saw those perturbations, I thought I was watching a doc, not a narrative short. You can do that in documentary ...but you can't do it in narrative. And regardless...no especially because it was a one person project, they should have been more careful....so no Andrew, I wasn't "transported" simply because the filmmaker was telling a confusing tale based on the information the viewer was receiving. Overly critical...of course. That 's what film criticism is all about.

When I saw those perturbations, I thought I was watching a doc, not a narrative short. You can do that in documentary ...but you can't do it in narrative. 

You must be real fun at parties.  ;)

I'd say it's rather narrow-minded to tell someone what they aren't allowed to do in narrative. 

Anyway,

I must say I am quite a fan of Kendy's. Here's a filmmaker who spends time getting on-screen talent with the right look, scenery with the right atmosphere, and sound/music with the right feel.

Getting a 'film look' out of a DSLR is so much more than just adding some kind of correct color/grain mix to your footage... wish more people understood that. Proper composition, sound, place, and acting is necessary to make something cinema-worthy.

Having said that, I'd love to see Kendy get his hands on a GH4. It'd be interesting to see what he could come up with when he has a few more in-camera features. 

so no Andrew, I wasn't "transported" simply because the filmmaker was telling a confusing tale based on the information the viewer was receiving. 

If you couldn't follow the story you might want to try something simpler. Thor 2 might be more ya speed! Great film, the consistency on Thor's hammer throughout the film is flawless and leaves you feeling satisfied at the end of the film. I thought about his hammer for days afterwards....

• Administrators

obviously you're just interested in the toyz....not what you can do with them. Editing image continuity is one of the most basic tools that filmmakers use to grab the attention of the viewer. When I saw those perturbations, I thought I was watching a doc, not a narrative short. You can do that in documentary ...but you can't do it in narrative. And regardless...no especially because it was a one person project, they should have been more careful....so no Andrew, I wasn't "transported" simply because the filmmaker was telling a confusing tale based on the information the viewer was receiving. Overly critical...of course. That 's what film criticism is all about.

Oh dear. Well the whole style is supposed to be a mix of documentary and fiction, which makes it so believable. If you're going to criticise on something small, it at least helps to get it into perspective by mentioning what you DID like, if indeed you did like anything at all, you miserable person.

Oh dear. Well the whole style is supposed to be a mix of documentary and fiction, which makes it so believable. If you're going to criticise on something small, it at least helps to get it into perspective by mentioning what you DID like, if indeed you did like anything at all, you miserable person.

obviously andrew...that's why you've been banned everywhere else ...but you just can't seem to catch on. I wonder who's a slow learner !

To me the editing is wonderful, I don't know what kurth was getting at, possibly a bit confused? The segments with the yellow straps and the photograph are clearly intercut with him smoking his cigarette in a non-linear way. They're not supposed to be continuous, so continuity isn't really an issue, they're not action-matches.

I disagree with the 'this wins over that' mentality though too... All important equally.

But Andrew, isn't the end product what matters most? Like take for example your reviews. If they were run of the mill specs with a little more blah blah mixed in you wouldn't be different from the herd, but the storytelling approach you take in them does set you apart.

I love A Drop In The Ocean, Kendy is truly a talented guy!

It's really sad to see people saying that a movie is bad just because it doesn't respect linearity like most movies do now a days. Come on, open your eyes, Cinema and filmmaking is much more than that ! Every one chooses to do what ever they want to do in terms of editing, obviously keeping in mind that in has to be in service of the story and has to be well made and to have a purpose , not just because it looks cool. I personally think that the non-linearity in this movie is a good choice and is justified (showing for exemple the passage of time etc...) and it's really well made. 

Look at some amazing movies with non-linearity like the Tree of Life by Terrence Malick or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind by Michel Gondry and there are so many more...

Imagine if everyone was like Kurth... Cinema is about experimenting with what we have, its about trying and founding something new. So Kurth please look at the bigger picture here, because you are missing a lot of things.

Kendy Ty shoots with a Canon 550D / T2i and Sigma 30mm F1.4. The results are staggering considering the 'low-fi' performance of the gear. If ever there was a spur to get out and shoot something...

Yup, interesting shoots, and indeed quite stimulating. Now we've got little excuse, apart from the weather, which is just an excuse to begin with. Thanks for sharing.