Sony A7S footage topic

wolf33d

I think if anything needed grading, it would be this video.  Maybe they were trying to show what SLog2 looks like right out of the camera.  The aliasing seems to be pretty much under control.  Just saw a bit with the grates.

Michael

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks quite soft to me.

Only a few shoots look really soft to me... or should I say out of focus. Rest of the softness and aliasing maybe due to the video being 720p and played back full screen or the use of NDs since it was shot at 3200 ISO. Still, the video does need grading...

• Administrators

New "test footage" shot in a hot and dry environment...

Downloaded the 1080p version and there's nothing wrong with resolution from the camera... looks very sharply resolved to me. However the upload is too heavily compressed. A shame he did not upload it in ProRes LT.

Highlight recovery looks great! remind me of C300 ability to pull back the super white...

I have a feeling what we're seeing here is the qt gamma problem showing its ugly face again.. when avchd (and probably xavc s) are played back on premier on a mac, the recovery is simply being corrected (changing outputs from 15-235).   Rather than extra information in the hot highlights actually being brought back.  Though i hope I am wrong.    

I have a feeling what we're seeing here is the qt gamma problem showing its ugly face again.. when avchd (and probably xavc s) are played back on premier on a mac, the recovery is simply being corrected (changing outputs from 15-235).   Rather than extra information in the hot highlights actually being brought back.  Though i hope I am wrong.    

Ah yeah It could be that... I do hope it does allows white outside of "legal" though, cos with the Cxxx series I like to pop my highlights up there and pull 'em back in post, since I never deliver to broadcast directly.

The QT gamma Mac/PC thing is really annoying.

Doesn't look it. Description says 1080p / 60i so make of that what you will!

It does look like 60i uploaded to Youtube as 1080p. Look at the extreme aliasing (not even a 7D is that bad). More than aliasing is the result of showing fields rather than frames. I guess Youtube automatically tries to deinterlace the footage...

Well the S-LOG 2 example shows you can save a shot if you're short of dynamic range in standard mode, but with some pretty bad noise in the shadows coming into play.

I tried grading "Arizona falls" (higher contrast, saturation, different WB) in Resolve and it looks very nice (thought I don't have much experience in grading). On first sight the noise in shadows does not look worse than GH4 4K flat profile graded and scaled to HD - I tried Philip Bloom's Seoul panorama files.

Don't have big screen to pixel peep, so maybe I'm wrong..