Sony A7S footage topic

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Exact same framing and DOF?  Suspicious.

Michael

Yeah, his videos are mostly bogus.  He posts videos from Canon and Nikon's channel with music replaced.  Is the 4K recorder available for the A7S?  Is the A7S available?  would Sony send a A7S demo to a YouTube channel wth 2k subscribers with no website, and a YouTube a banner that's just an image from Nikon's website, I would say no to that as well.

Interesting that the reviews seem to contradict each other 

Don't they always? All reviews are subjective, and almost any tool can be made to look bad in the wrong hands, and good in the right hands. Not much point in going too anal/pedantic with the first few test videos online.

Is the 4K recorder available for the A7S?  

Is the A7S available?  

Soon.

Yes, since yesterday in Japan and some other places in Asia. According to Matt Allard in that video. A bit later elsewhere.

Well, the hype always gets amplified online, be it good or bad, but the A7s still looks rather interesting as a hybrid camera. Quirky, but interesting.  

If I had a $4k or thereabouts to spend on a video camera, I'd probably still be tempted to go for a Digital Bolex, but for multi-purpose use the A7s still looks quite interesting, too. Even though it 'only' has 12 megapixels, and has no internal 4K.

Although I believe the initial street price is pushing it a bit. I think the A7s would be a bigger hit if it was priced the same way the A7r is right now, and the price is likely to drop to that level within a year. 

Nevetheless, the A7s along with two other rather different cameras would make an interesting combo for both stills and video. Time to start saving and/or hustling for some exra cash.

Don't they always? All reviews are subjective, and almost any tool can be made to look bad in the wrong hands, and good in the right hands. Not much point in going too anal/pedantic with the first few test videos online.

I was referring to the ef-emount adapter.

An yes ... They prove in the video that the base ISO in S-LOG 2 is 3200 ISO minimum. That sucks

That's so strange. The only purpose of S-log2 existence is to capture up to 14 stops of DR. Why would they limit s-log2 usage by sensor sensivity? What's the point of s-log2 if the sensor captures 10.5 stops DR at best and it's color capturing performance drops so much?

That's so strange. The only purpose of S-log2 existence is to capture up to 14 stops of DR. Why would they limit s-log2 usage by sensor sensivity? What's the point of s-log2 if the sensor captures 10.5 stops DR at best and it's color capturing performance drops so much?

because the outcome of allowing us to use s-log2 at the camera's optimum iso would probably mean the camera will compete too much with their professional division.  They added s-log2 for marketing reasons it would seem.  bet better results will be had from writing our own profiles.  

I just wish Sony would introduce a professional version of this thing with proper xavc 10bit so the s-log is worth having.  the new sandisk uhs-2's will handle that no sweat.  forget 4k, just give us fullhd at 10 bit like the bm pocket does, but in the awesome a7 body with that evf.     

I'd pay an extra grand on top of their asking price for a professional firmware update offering proper x-avc 10bit.

because the outcome of allowing us to use s-log2 at the camera's optimum iso would probably mean the camera will compete too much with their professional division. They added s-log2 for marketing reasons it would seem.

Let's not jump to conclusions here. Many of us don't know what the base ISO of 3200 in slog2 means and whether the base ISO going up is a good or bad thing. The FS700 got an upgrade earlier that changed the slog2 base ISO from 640 to 2000 that was supposed to greatly improve its low light performance.

Guest d5f8611fa423d0e628c016f9d5c93b47

I just wish Sony would introduce a professional version of this thing with proper xavc 10bit so the s-log is worth having.  the new sandisk uhs-2's will handle that no sweat.  forget 4k, just give us fullhd at 10 bit like the bm pocket does, but in the awesome a7 body with that evf.     

This is the camera I want to see also. Perhaps there would be overheating issues because of then large sensor? I'd be content with 10bit 1080 to a Ninja like the GH4. Oh well, it will happen one day ...

This is the camera I want to see also. Perhaps there would be overheating issues because of then large sensor? I'd be content with 10bit 1080 to a Ninja like the GH4. Oh well, it will happen one day ...

The Sony A7 and A7R are known to overheat, sometimes within only 15 minutes (or even less under some circumstances).  I'm wondering if they got that corrected on this model.

Michael

Looks quite soft to me.

i think you're seeing the results of a poor lens in combination with a lack of contrast.  since very few of the shots capitalise on the full frame sensor aesthetic this adds to the lack of zing.  Just about every aspect of that test seems to fall short in terms of showing the camera being used within its limits or showing its strengths.  I imagine a canon 550d + 18-55 kit lens would deliver pretty much what we're seeing here.  

Put that awesome 55mm zeiss lens on there, and show us some exciting landscaped with a bit of dynamic lighting and i think this camera will sing.

Come on sony.  Send the camera to someone who'll show us something cool!