Prores RAW on Nikon Z6 - Is It Worth It

FHDcrew

I shoot N-log to the ninja v on my Nikon z6, using CST and other nodes in resolve. It grades very well. Has anyone used the Prores raw upgrade for the Z6? Is it worthwhile?  I have a spare Mac so can use the Prores raw to cinema dng converter to work with the RAW footage in resolve. What annoys me is not the $200 fee but the fact that I have to send my camera in. 

also, N-log has a 1.1x crop. What is the Prores raw crop?  Is it less?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not worth it from what I read on German testsite slashcam. Afaik, it´s 12bit linear and debayerd from 6K to 4K instead of giving the whole 6K out to the HDMI. On the S1H its 12bit and Log afaik and the whole 6K resolution.

Anyway, site states that Prores raw has more aliasing and artefacts than internal Prores on the Z6. Latitude or dynamic range is not better than Prores with 10bit Log.

Here is the article. You can run it through a translater. cheers

https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Nikon-Z6-RAW---Besser-als-ProRES---alles-.html

On 7/12/2022 at 5:46 PM, PannySVHS said:

" it´s 12bit linear and debayerd from 6K to 4K 

Anyway, site states that Prores raw has more aliasing and artefacts than internal Prores on the Z6. Latitude or dynamic range is not better than Prores with 10bit Log."

the sensor output is lineskipped. There is no "internal Prores" in any of the Nikon Z cameras except the Z9. 

You get 1:1 ProRes RAW if you shoot in DX.

On 7/10/2022 at 5:54 PM, FHDcrew said:

I shoot N-log to the ninja v on my Nikon z6, using CST and other nodes in resolve. It grades very well. Has anyone used the Prores raw upgrade for the Z6? Is it worthwhile?  I have a spare Mac so can use the Prores raw to cinema dng converter to work with the RAW footage in resolve. What annoys me is not the $200 fee but the fact that I have to send my camera in. 

also, N-log has a 1.1x crop. What is the Prores raw crop?  Is it less?

There is no crop in ProRes RAW. Personally I wouldn't bother with the PRR upgrade and spend it somewhere else. You will find the convenience of P&A the footage in Resolve and not having to spend time transcoding.