DIY-ish SSD For Fp/P4K/P6K Etc

BTM_Pix

This thread popped up the exact time I got a Sigma FP, so I ended up getting an Orico enclosure with the Same WD SSD (500gb) to at least test everything. I can capture between 8-10 minutes of 12bit 4K before is stops, and I can't record frame rates above 60fps, even in 8 bit. Not sure what's going on with that. I already intended to mostly shoot 12bit FHD 24fps since I can capture it with my Sandisk Extreme Pro 170mbps continuously (I got over 20 minutes before I decided it was more than I'd ever need to record in this format and stopped it myself) because it's sharp and beautiful, takes up 1/4 of the drive space, and the simplicity of capturing the SD card. But I would still like to occasionally shoot 4K or 120fps in FHD. Should I just get a Samsung T7? Or is there something else I'm missing?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
8 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

Or is there something else I'm missing?

The WD disk I use is the 1tb version and there can be speed differences with the lower capacities of some drives so that could be an explanation.

With the drive/enclosure combination that I am using I can record 12bit/24fps cDNG until the battery or drive space runs out so it could be in play here.

However, I have also had problems in the past with T5s with cables so that is something to check if you have a different one around.

With regard to the higher frame rate stuff, its not something I use but testing it just now I did experience issues at 100fps up where it would record for a short time and then stop.

I resolved this in the following way :

In SYSTEM1 menu, there is an option setting called "Memory Media" where you can select between "Standard" and "Custom".

Switching it to "Custom" is to enable you to use a broader range of media than their authorised ones.

When you are set to "Custom", the USB indicator on the screen is lit in orange instead of green.

It might well be that changing to "Custom" will resolve both your long 4K recording and unable to do any recording above 60fps issues in one fell swoop.

If the goal is to have an inexpensive, small, and light SSD that can work with a bunch of cameras, I'd try the Sabrent Rocket Nano (I just mentioned it in another thread and I promise I'm not affiliated with them!):

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-External-Aluminum-SB-1TB-NANO-BLK/dp/B07XL6BMFP/

Before I switched to using the Dark Power Labs accessories with my FP, I bought one of these intending to 3d print a tiny cage to match it.  In terms of size, I'd say it's just over half of a Samsung T5 (give or take).  With my FP, I stress tested it by filling it up twice and formatting while recording 12-bit raw video of a wall or something like that.  It worked fine.  My sample size is 1 so it's not out of the question that I won the silicon lottery - or that it would fail on the third or fourth time if I kept going.

On 7/24/2022 at 12:01 AM, eatstoomuchjam said:

If the goal is to have an inexpensive, small, and light SSD that can work with a bunch of cameras, I'd try the Sabrent Rocket Nano (I just mentioned it in another thread and I promise I'm not affiliated with them!):

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-External-Aluminum-SB-1TB-NANO-BLK/dp/B07XL6BMFP/

Before I switched to using the Dark Power Labs accessories with my FP, I bought one of these intending to 3d print a tiny cage to match it.  In terms of size, I'd say it's just over half of a Samsung T5 (give or take).  With my FP, I stress tested it by filling it up twice and formatting while recording 12-bit raw video of a wall or something like that.  It worked fine.  My sample size is 1 so it's not out of the question that I won the silicon lottery - or that it would fail on the third or fourth time if I kept going.

I searched earlier for verification on how the the Sabrent handled the fp footage. Some say it couldn't keep up, although it could have been the older 5/gbs model they were using. Good to know yours works out. I went with the T5 only because it has a plethora of mounting brackets available and Sigma verified. The Sabrent seems too small to fit in any brackets.  I guess one could modify it with a 1/4 20 mount somehow.

The Dark Power seems to be the way to go if the ultimate in small form factor, although a bit pricey. Did you go with the normal one or the one that goes with the EVF-11? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 10:26 AM, amweber21 said:

I searched earlier for verification on how the the Sabrent handled the fp footage. Some say it couldn't keep up, although it could have been the older 5/gbs model they were using. Good to know yours works out. I went with the T5 only because it has a plethora of mounting brackets available and Sigma verified. The Sabrent seems too small to fit in any brackets.  I guess one could modify it with a 1/4 20 mount somehow.

The Dark Power seems to be the way to go if the ultimate in small form factor, although a bit pricey. Did you go with the normal one or the one that goes with the EVF-11? 

I have both an fp and an fp-l.

With the fp, I use the DPL mini-cage with an SSD holder on the bottom and their little L bracket on the side of the camera instead of a cable.  Works great, looks cool, and keeps things small/unobtrusive.  I use a little kind of cruddy Portkeys screen, chosen because it's about the size of a smartphone and works generally acceptably.  For some upcoming guerrilla short film stuff, I plan to just use it with a small Platypod (or similar) in a coffee shop while sitting at a table near the talent.

With the fp-l, I didn't have the EVF until just recently so I used their side cage.  That works great because I can just keep it in a pocket.  With just the Smallrig wooden grip on the side and Leica M lenses, I have great photo quality in a tiny camera.  When I wanna shoot video, I can just screw on an ND filter and the DPL cage.  Though I finally broke down and bought the EVF since it's so annoying to shoot with just the rear LCD (I'm not doing the flippy screen mod) - so I have the EVF SSD holder from DPL on its way.   Hopefully it isn't too obtrusive or it's as easy to attach/detach as the other one.

I'm planning to do a YT video on it soon, maybe this weekend if it shows up in time.  I feel like the DPL stuff finally fulfills the promise of the FP being a tiny little modular camera that record excellent 12-bit footage.  When I was using the Smallrig cage and a T5, the camera seemed bigger (and definitely more awkward) than my R5.

And yeah, the little Sabrent drive won't fit in most brackets - I was planning to 3d print one that would make it a bit less awkward to use before I bought the DPL stuff.  🙂

Awesome. Please link your video when you make it. It'd be great to see a comparison between the multiple options. I haven't pulled the trigger on the EVF, but I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually. I wanted to wait for a sale of some sort but it never seems to budge in price!

I have a decent raw recording setup now, but I like the thought of going even smaller with it, and seem like the DPL solution is the best way to go to do so. It'd be great to have the ability to use the EVF, or have a coldshoe for a mic, but I think the slim model might make the most sense for compact handheld or gimbal shooting.

You might have already seen, but there's an interesting NPF battery grip on the way as well.

23 hours ago, amweber21 said:

You might have already seen, but there's an interesting NPF battery grip on the way as well.

I saw it - for me, it'll come down to how big it is and how it interfaces to the battery slot.  For some stuff, DPL does internal wiring and for other stuff, it's done with a super thin ribbon cable.  I don't trust myself not to break the latter.

It's rare that I need to do a single long shot so I just have like 7 or 8 BLC12 type batteries - it's easy enough to put a couple in my pockets and swap as they're dying.  The NP-F 550's I have are around 2500 mAh and the BLC12 is around 1200 mAh.  So if the handle makes things a lot bulkier than the Smallrig wooden handgrips that I use now, I'd be inclined to just keep putting a couple of BLC 12's in my pocket.

Anyway, it'll probably be a decent option for anybody who needs to hit record and let the camera go for more than 40 minutes or so.  🙂