Gimbal for XT3

Dustin

Hey all it’s been a minute since I’ve posted on here. I’m looking at purchasing a gimbal for an upcoming project on my XT3. I used to have a crane v2 but could never get it to balance properly. Not looking to spend a ton of money $300 or less, preferably used around $150, what gimbal would you recommend for the XT3?

I’ve seen the Ronin S, Sc and weebil S seem to be recommended among various web research. I just want a steady gimbal I don’t need to the follow focus and all of that…

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, EphraimP said:

If you could find a Ronin S in your budget, it should do the trick. I've had no problems with that combo.

Yep I’m currently looking at auctions for those. What about the SC, would it support the weight of the xt3, and a rokinon 35mm1.4, kit lens or possibly the Fuji 1018 f4? 

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Yep I’m currently looking at auctions for those. What about the SC, would it support the weight of the xt3, and a rokinon 35mm1.4, kit lens or possibly the Fuji 1018 f4? 

I don't have any experience with the SC, just the S, which I bought soon after they came out and have used with an X-T3 and X-T4. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just updating for anyone who were to stumble across or want to know, the Weebil S in 2022, functions great for the X-T3. Was able to balance and get going rather fast. I’ve ordered some quick release plates to hopefully make swapping between a tripod and gimbal fast. Also I’ve purchased the new Viltrox 13mm f1.4 to try for real estate. Reviews I’ve seen have been highly favorable with apparent in-lens correction. We’ll see how it does! 

After saying I was done with gimbals, I gave my Star Wars stormtrooper white Crane 3 one final chance and for the very limited purpose I had for it, it worked OK with the S5 and kit zoom.

Just. I think it’s on the limit and the motors are having to work extra hard to balance it. 

I went with a QR plate on the base of the gimbal itself, so 95% of the time, all 3 axis are locked and it just becomes part of the tripod.

Slightiy wobbly if lightly shaken, but can’t fall over like a freestanding monopod would so a good workaround for me.

11 hours ago, MrSMW said:

After saying I was done with gimbals, I gave my Star Wars stormtrooper white Crane 3 one final chance and for the very limited purpose I had for it, it worked OK with the S5 and kit zoom.

Just. I think it’s on the limit and the motors are having to work extra hard to balance it. 

I went with a QR plate on the base of the gimbal itself, so 95% of the time, all 3 axis are locked and it just becomes part of the tripod.

Slightiy wobbly if lightly shaken, but can’t fall over like a freestanding monopod would so a good workaround for me.

Yeah I just purchased a set of quick release plates for my tripod and hoping it doesn’t through off the weight too much! Recently purchased the Coman video tripod and monopod combo, so far not bad considering price. 

I think I def have some fine tuning to do in the gimbal but I’m just so inexperienced shooting or even setting up. Luckily tons of videos on the Weebil S got me through and I made a few videos. I think I’ll only use a few of the modes anyways…vortex mode for example is such a specific shot. But so far actually having fun learning to use this one and the weight is much lighter than the last Zhiyun gimbal I had that wouldn’t support my xt3.

i Vaguely remember the crane m2 topping out at 750 grams. Its actually 720 grams after a quick google search. So small action cameras, most mobile phones and small light cameras like the olympus m-10.  There's only a few lenses that fit the olympus that will keep things under the weight limit as well. Still i never had an issue balancing it so far  just got to stay within its operating constraints.

The olympus being on the limit weightwise, I do turn the motors onto strong mode when i have the olympus on it, otherwise it can get a bit tipsy.  

My M3 is doing around 1150g but not sure what it’s operating capacity is supposed to be.

I don’t think it’s really designed for this kind of weight and I have been using it for one single thing about 60 seconds at each wedding and it seems to be coping OK.

Any ideas for fine tuning the calibration with the Weebil S? I probably need to watch some additional videos. I’ve used auto-tune after balancing the gimbal best I could and everything works great. However, sometimes in certain modes like selfie or underslung, the front motor starts vibrating with the Viltrox 13mm 1.4 on a Ulanzi quick plate system. With the kit lens, no quicknplate, I didn’t get this. Maybe I need to pull the plate a bit backwards on one of the axises to take weight off the front motor?

After hitting the trigger button twice in the scenario above, a quick camera reset gets the camera back in the default position and the other modes seem to work with no apparent weight issues.