My S1 etc for sale

Tim Sewell

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Have you tried MPB Tim?

I just can’t be bothered with eBay anymore for so many reasons…

Yes, a bit more of a hit, but so easy.

Just humming and hawwing myself over 3 items they just quoted me for including; a lens, a gimbal and an action cam.

I use MPB quite a lot, given that they're in my town (I've even sent a taxi round to pick stuff up in the past!) but I want to get as much cash as possible so going the eBay route this time.

My replacement for the S1, which I love, but don't use nearly enough to justify keeping it, is a humble GX85. I'm not a pro, by any means, and that camera has so far been a revelation in that for the kind of things I currently shoot it gives me about 90% of what I need. I've got a music video coming up and if the colourist is happy with 8 bit Cine D I'll even use it for that paired with my Super Takumars. If not I may pick up a G9 or rent something.

I've got to say, when I got the S1. out to photograph it for the listing I nearly decided against the whole exercise. It's such a beautifully put-together camera. But it won't be my last high end camera - I'm just taking a break!

3 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

I've got to say, when I got the S1. out to photograph it for the listing I nearly decided against the whole exercise. It's such a beautifully put-together camera. But it won't be my last high end camera - I'm just taking a break!

I hear ya!

I could let my S5 go and at a pinch, my pair of S1R's, but my S1H...that's where I'd really struggle...

And of course, it's not just the bodies, but the lens choices I have made.

Could I replace it all with a similar set up from Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji?

Easily, but all the compromises (and there are with anything) considered, I will not until something quantifiably better comes along and by 'better', I have a checklist and until an alternative makes any kind of sense, nah.

But good luck with the GX85. It's like anything, - if it can do the job you need it to do, then that's good enough!

4 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

I use MPB quite a lot, given that they're in my town (I've even sent a taxi round to pick stuff up in the past!) but I want to get as much cash as possible so going the eBay route this time.

My replacement for the S1, which I love, but don't use nearly enough to justify keeping it, is a humble GX85. I'm not a pro, by any means, and that camera has so far been a revelation in that for the kind of things I currently shoot it gives me about 90% of what I need. I've got a music video coming up and if the colourist is happy with 8 bit Cine D I'll even use it for that paired with my Super Takumars. If not I may pick up a G9 or rent something.

GX85 is a hell of a camera.  Sell the S1 and invest back into the market when the time is right.

The GX85 is a very neat camera for its size and price. When I first saw footage from my S5 I couldn’t believe my eyes though. It just was night and day in terms of color, image quality, noise and dynamic range. I wouldn’t go back to the GX85 as my only camera, it’s not bad at all as a portable cam but the S5 is just miles better. So is the S1, though admittedly and unfortunately larger and heavier. 

Oh yes it's miles better - the highlight roll-off alone is enough to keep it - except that because it's so big and heavy (esp with my Tokina 28-70 2.6 on) that it hasn't left its bag for the last 3 months or so. When I'm out it's nearly always with children and the dog, stopping to shop etc. and it's just too unweildy for that kind of use. The number of times I actually get to go out alone with a camera each year can be counted on one hand. So it's going - but yes, I sure will miss those highlights!

1 hour ago, Tim Sewell said:

Oh yes it's miles better - the highlight roll-off alone is enough to keep it - except that because it's so big and heavy (esp with my Tokina 28-70 2.6 on) that it hasn't left its bag for the last 3 months or so. When I'm out it's nearly always with children and the dog, stopping to shop etc. and it's just too unweildy for that kind of use. The number of times I actually get to go out alone with a camera each year can be counted on one hand. So it's going - but yes, I sure will miss those highlights!

Every shot taken is better than every shot not taken.  This is really the strength of cameras the size of the GX85.  

Plus, not only is it small, it's got IBIS and half-decent 4K.  Not that common in something so small.

I imagine, Panasonic could cash in with a GXTen, just delivering what the GH5 does but in its beautiful form factor and with its built quality. Except, the back dial lost its function after two years of usuage and I read I am not the only one with the back dial issue. Imagine a GX Ten with great PDAF and 10bit GH5 quality and a swivel screen. It would sell like hot cakes I imagine.