Nominations for sticky topics

Andrew Reid

Nominations for sticky topics  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What hot topics should remain on the first page of the main EOSHD forum?

• Panasonic GH4 user experiences
    • Storage
    • Grading
    • Lenses
    • Other (suggest by posing below)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Grading! A sticky with video tutorials, links to websites with luts/picture profiles etc. Maybe a seperate topic for discussion? Or a huge first post that is updated all the time with the best stuff.

Panasonic GH4 topic - camera's are shipping. Theres tons of tests/vids coming out. Would be nice to have one topic with all of it in there, also a good place for new GH4 owners to show their work and help each other out.

Edit: to fresh things up the current stickys could be moved/unstickied. BMPCC lenses can move over to the BM subforum, GH3 guide could be advertised in another way (maybe even a seperate forum with stickies for all the guides so people can ask questions?) 5D raw sticky - last reply January 5th.. seems to have had its time.

For anyone interested in color grading I'd highly recommend doing a sticky post or article on color theory. This would be just the vital info for post since it's a broad topic, but like:

1) The CIE 1931 XYZ functions and how we perceive color.

2) Color spaces / gamuts, from film log and digital sensors, to your monitor.

3) Definition of "dynamic range" and "exposure range", also "hdr" vs "ldr" workflows.

4) Color correction examples using a simple plot scanline.

Optional:

5) Why dinosaurs and cavemen never lived together.

Was tempted to vote lenses, but went for grading, as I thought there's already a lot of focus on gear on the forum, and not enough on process. I think the screening room, creative ideas fora, currently sub forums (sub fora?) could be promoted to the main page (ie have a series of main fora on the front page, instead of one main forum).

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

As directors/ DoPs and filmmakers, we are a bit rusty when it comes to coloring. And we usually end up looking ignorant to colorists when we collaborate.

Education in color grading from experts (we have many of those!) would be an enormously helpful addition to this forum.

I mean the science of color, not tutorials on very specific software and such,

How to create moods with color manipulation, when to decide what, what color conveys to the audience, general tips and methods of grading, best picture profiles and LUTs. A list of suggestions of best plugins and software, for grain, noise reduction, film LUTs, etc...

I guess storage isn't as sexy a topic as I thought it was :(

There's quite a lot of hardware sites which can get you a long way with such. Granted, there are certain specific considerations with video, but sites like anandtech.com (great articles, and one of the largest computer hardware forums online) can teach you a lot about storage.

I guess storage isn't as sexy a topic as I thought it was :(

Only SSD's are sexy... ;)

A storage topic wouldn't hurt. Doesn't have to be sticky I think. But would be nice to see what everybody is using.

I myself am very ignorant with backups for example. Going to regret that one day...

@Julian Wholeheartedly agree with the first point :) Actually, when I was shopping for drives in Bangkok last weekend, I was amazed at just how luscious some of them looked. I think all they had were outdated HDD RAIDS though :)

I was thinking a sub category for Highly Regarded Vintage Lenses. Some lenses are just shit but some are incredible. It would have been nice to know which lenses are worth time and which are time and money wasters? I've spent so much time searching for info, would be nice to open a page and find nothing but the low down on the gems?