Am I crazy? Viltrox 13mm 1.4 on FF

FHDcrew

As many of you know I have a Nikon Z6 and am looking for a fast wide angle for video. Viltrox has a 24mm 1.8 FF lens, affordable. Though N-log crops in 1.1x on the camera so I’m worried I’d lose some FOV. I’ve contemplated the viltrox 13mm 1.4 APSC lens instead, as it’s closer to 20mm FF equiv. I would have to shoot in DX crop mode, but I honestly feel like I’d just lose an inconsequential level of detail (no longer doing 6k over sampling) and would have degraded high ISO performance (I don’t usually need great performance).

Your thoughts?  Is 20mm vs 24mm a huge difference?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@FHDcrew It´s a pretty big difference. 24mm to 28mm already is, 20mm to 24mm even moreso. 20mm of FF is something really fun and cool to try. You could get a cheap 20mm from Soligor or Vivitar brand. I might try one myself, though I already have and love my Canon nFD 20mm.

@Emanuel My friend, I am a sucker for lenses. If you ever get tired of your Russian gems, I would love to borrow them from you some day. 🙂

3 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

Your thoughts?  Is 20mm vs 24mm a huge difference?

The difference is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge! When you're using an UWA then each millimeter can be quite substantial. 

3 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

I’ve contemplated the viltrox 13mm 1.4 APSC lens instead, as it’s closer to 20mm FF equiv.

Yeah, 13mm on DX is going to have the same FoV as 19.5mm on FX

But if you put that 13mm on a FX camera (and, assuming you ignore / don't mind the vignetting effect, if perhaps it isn't too extreme with this particular lens) then it will have the FoV of a 13mm lens (because it is a 13mm lens!!), and will not behave like a 20mm lens. (not unless you choose to put the camera in DX mode)

12 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

But if you put that 13mm on a FX camera (and, assuming you ignore / don't mind the vignetting effect

And I’ve seen that if you shoot full frame 4k with this lens, you can crop in to probably about 3k resolution, and get a 15.5mm FF lens!  I’m definitely considering this option. 

If you are ok with cropping then going wider will give you more options.

One thing to be aware of with cropping in post is that you frame up properly while shooting for that crop.  I have lenses that vignette and so I have to crop in post, but while I'm shooting I don't think about it (composition is quite an automatic thing for me these days) and so when I go to crop in post I am cutting people's heads off left and right and things all go sideways basically!

12 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

As I said with NLOG the Z6 does a 1.1x crop in 4k. You think that crop would be very noticeable on a FF 20mm lens?

well it would look the same as a 22mm FoV on FX

Or the same as a 14.7mm lens on Super 35 / DX / APS-C