canon 24-105 f/4 vs sony zeiss vario tessar 24-70 f/4

yiomo

I am reading mixed reviews about the sony lens.Although DxoMark has rated it quite high. In case I get the A7s I am wondering if I should keep my 24-105 or go sony all the way. From what I've read metabones have created a mark 3 adapter that supports the IS of the canon lens.

So what do you think quality wise between the too?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

According to metabones, the Canon 24-105mm F4 is manual only on the Smart Adapter III, i have the Zeiss and is not better than the Canon optically speaking and have focus by wire, but have a fast autofocus, OIS and smaller, this is something to consider. If you do not mind using the lens manually and only for video the Canon is a better option.

Thanks xenogears,

I am only intersted in a functional stabilisation and best image quality. Since you already own an A7s, can you recommend any other lens in the 24-105 price that could perhaps perform better and also have IS?

Also, in order to stay with the canon lens , are the extra $400 needed for the metabones adapter justified ? Considering I can sell it without losing any money.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The Canon 24-105mm is "the" most useful lens I've ever owned, and produced the largest amount of footage I've ever shot. It is not exactly "excellent" in any thing, but it is "very good" at everything. It's a complete workhorse, wouldn't trade it for anything. I've only ever used it on Canons so don't know how it adapts to other brands, but If you can adapt it to the Sony and still have the IS, go for it, it's a fantastic lens. it's the kind of lens you could shoot an entire film on. 

Thanks xenogears,

I am only intersted in a functional stabilisation and best image quality. Since you already own an A7s, can you recommend any other lens in the 24-105 price that could perhaps perform better and also have IS?

Also, in order to stay with the canon lens , are the extra $400 needed for the metabones adapter justified ? Considering I can sell it without losing any money.

What about the A7 kit lens.     It is not a constant speed but I guess you could use it as a 5.6 constant lens on the A7S with its crazy high ISO.

It actually rates very close to the 24-70 including being sharper in DXO's testing in some ways.   Stabilization is good.  You just lose 4mm at the short end and a stop at the long end (but a little faster at 28mm).     And it is native so no adapters.

I would not expect any of those lenses to score close to the A7R tests with the A7S. (the two Sony's drop a lot on the other cameras tested, the NEX7 and A3000).     Strangely they have not tested either on the A7, including the A7 with its kit lens (if they did that would give some indication of what it would be like on the 12mp A7S, or at least a rough idea).

I am not sure about the quality of that lens. Reviews say that the 24-70 is better but still has quirks with its overall construction and focusing issues.

There is no Sony full frame e mount lens that is rated highly, besides the two primes, 35 and 55. I will be using the camera for documentary work too, so a good zoom is a must. Unfortunately everyone who goes the a7s road willl have to pay extra 400 for an adapter .

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Just after I wrote the previous comment on the Canon 24-105mm, it was mounted on a DSLR body and mounted on a tripod 50cms high (pretty low),

the tripod and camera fell over making small impact to a soft furry carpet (again from just 30-50cms high, and mounted on a lightweight Canon Rebel + a featherweight tripod)

after picking it up I found that the lens was unable to move any of its rings (zoom or focus), they are both stuck, glued in their position, especially the focus one, the zoom ring travels a couple of mms and stops.

After closer inspection, I found that the lens barrel is bent. Apparently the lens was extended to its longest length (24mm) and the barrel took the impact, and bent.

Searching the internet concludes that fixing it would probably be as expensive as buying a new one and that it's basically dead. After 5 years of tough beating and abusing, it's gone now and C.O.D is a minor impact. :|

Still doesn't keep me from admitting it's a damn fine workhorse of a lens. Just treat these flimsy zooms that have movable barrels with extra care.