Blackmagic Gyrodata will be used in Resolve!

Anaconda_

3 hours ago, Django said:

I'm very prone to "motion sickness" (car travel, sea travel, VR etc):   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

zero problems in airplanes, trains, or when I'm driving myself (only as passenger). the worst is FPS video games & VR, I get sick within seconds. Probably why I had similar reaction to the gyro stab tests..

I'm quote prone to motion sickness myself, but I was more curious about which types of footage you had issues with.

I've had a number of hobbies in the past where I knew people who were more sensitive to various aspects and I've found that much can be learned by understanding their experiences more.  Images and cinematography is essentially a game of subtlety, so it's like looking at things through a magnifying glass 🙂 

For example do you have issues with unstabilised hand-held footage?  hand-held footage with OIS?  with IBIS?  or is it less dependent on the type of stabilisation and more on the amount of motion?

2 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

This! Could save us hours of pain.

I use currently sony software to stabilise my footage export etc then hit davinci , but im delighted Davinci is stepping up its game.

I wouldn't be holding your breath for this type of integration.  BM deliberately doesn't provide any support for Prores RAW in Resolve, I'm assuming because B-RAW is their competitor.  It's a game of thrones style clash where everyone tries to own every part of the ecosystem by using all their products to promote all their other products, like Apple etc.  If BM consider Sony cameras to be their competition they may just never include it, especially if it's not something that "the industry" uses.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Also did a test. Here are some observation:

1. It doesn't work with lenses that don't have electronic contact with the camera. Gyro data is there but after applying gyro type of stabilization in Resolve got a black screen. This may be a bug in the beta version but it's unlikely. Seems logical that software needs to know focal length of the lens.

2. Can it replace gimbal while walking ?  Short answer - no. OK to stabilize simple panning or static shots. With 60p + slow motion in post it can give almost gimbal like results. Good if you want to have a hand held like shots and feeling without the jitter. Still having a good shooting technique is essential. Unfortunately lens IS can't be used in conjunction with gyro stabilization. It is one or the other.

3. It doesn't compensate for up and down movement or does it in somehow subtle manner.

4. As already said and demonstrated it needs 45 degree shutter angle to work best which is not OK for me. Apart of slow motion and simple rather slow pans and static shots when shooting at 180 degree shutter angle it won't be practical.

5. Easy to apply in Resolve. As fast / slow as other types of stabilization in post.

6. Expect with time and new Resolve versions Blackmagic to give more control options to gyro type of stabilization.

Bottom line is: Good to have one more option for BMPCC line of cameras for hand held shooting but it has many limitations and won't replace tools and technique required to stabilize shots. It is not a game changer. This explain why it was not introduced with fanfare but rather quietly between lines by Blackmagic.

On a side note : With new firmware BMPCC 4K menus look now nicer. A lot of minor improvement to a 4 years + old camera. Well done Blackmagic !

Blackmagic already carved a solid place in cinema cameras business making RAW video available at a low price point. Camera picture quality is great, build quality not that much, but I guess this is the compromise to make for the low price point. If they come with a more compact and solidly build bodies and put a mirrorless mount in next generation of cameras this will be a step in the right direction even with expected price hike.

5 hours ago, stephen said:

1. It doesn't work with lenses that don't have electronic contact with the camera. Gyro data is there but after applying gyro type of stabilization in Resolve got a black screen. This may be a bug in the beta version but it's unlikely. Seems logical that software needs to know focal length of the lens.

Yes, this is essential information.  

One thing that I have noticed about gyro stabilisation vs the normal type where it analyses the video file itself is how it compensates for lens distortion.  This not only needs to know the focal length, but also needs to know the distortion profile of the specific lens if it's going to be done seamlessly.  

Maybe they can just make it work with a generic lens distortion profile and you just specify the focal length, but maybe not.  I guess we'll see.

8 hours ago, stephen said:

Also did a test. Here are some observation:

Did you try swiping from the right of the screen to access the lens data menu? There you can manually input the lens focal length. I would think that would work for fully manual lenses. I plan on doing my own tests shortly.

Changed Lens Data in Camera Metadata. Entered lens type and name plus focal point (length) and distance.  All those changes didn't solve the problem. Would be interesting to know do you get the same black screen with gyro stabilization and vintage manual lenses.

4 hours ago, stephen said:

Changed Lens Data in Camera Metadata. Entered lens type and name plus focal point (length) and distance.  All those changes didn't solve the problem. Would be interesting to know do you get the same black screen with gyro stabilization and vintage manual lenses.

My testing went flawlessly. I was using a Rokinon Cine DS lens—not vintage, but certainly fully manual. No black screen. The gyro stabilization works really, really well in some circumstances. Not so well in others.