Blackmagic Gyrodata will be used in Resolve!

Anaconda_

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Made a quick and dirty test today with my BMPCC6K and the new 7.9 software.

First clip is shot on a Canon EF 50mm 1.8 (so no OIS and 75mm equivalent)

Second clip is shot on a Canon EF 24-105 f4 @ 24mm (36mm equivalent)

Overall the new stabilisation works very well especially in situations where the traditional point based stabilisation can create visible warping (i included samples of that as well for comparison)

Things to note:

- The workflow is fantastic and probably the real advantage of this over any other gyro stabilisation solution.. it's just a new option in the stabilisation panel in Resolve, no extra software and rendering needed!

- Like any other gyro stabilisation system nothing can be done to reduce motion blur so, unless you have a miniscule quantity of motion in your shot, you need to shoot with faster shutter speed. I found 45º to work the best (apart from the weird look due to the lack of motion blur, i'm experimenting in dialling that back in afterwards and see how it looks)

- Another potential issue with gyro stabilisation is rolling shutter but, according to blackmagic, it's automatically compensated in the algorithm and it doesn't seem to be a big issue (even if the 6K is not the fastest camera around rolling shutter wise). 

Much more experiments needed but i wanted to share with you my first findings, this is a very exciting development!

Ok, i did more testing today with a wider lens (10mm so 15ish mm equivalent) and i tried some more complex moves as well..

Few more notes:

-45º shutter angle is pretty much a necessity so all the clips have been recorded with that setting (i tried to introduce some motion blur back in in a couple of clips as well and it might even work, i just need to understand how much of it to use)

- The camera doesn't seem to record any Gyro data if the lens stabilisation is ON (i'm not entirely sure about this but certainly the option to select the Gyro stabilisation doesn't appear inside Resolve on the clips shot with OIS) so you have to remember switching off the lens stabilisation if you plan to use the gyro. I reckon it kind of make sense though because without knowing the data from the lens gyro the result would probably be a bit messy 😅

- I have noticed some strange sharpening artifacts in high details area when a clip has been stabilised using gyro but thankfully it seems to only affect the GUI and not the monitor output nor the final render (I'm on Windows 10)

- The results are overall very good, in shots with simple moves there isn't a great deal of difference between the gyro and the algorithm based stabilisation (the building tilt shot and the cushions shot for istance) but in other shots where there are more complex movements and lots of geometric elements that can (and did) wreak havoc on the traditional stabilisation methods the difference is day and night. I would not suggest this is a gimbal replacement by any means because is not but it's definitely a feature that will enable camera movents that are most probably not possible in any other way when you don't have or want to use a gimbal so it's quite exciting!

ps. on the clips where there is severe warping from the perspective stabilisation i tried to use the clips without OIS as well to see if it would fare any better but it made very little difference, it was unusable anyway.

16 minutes ago, FHDcrew said:

So what makes you say it can’t be a gimbal replacement?

Because with a gimbal you can do more extreme movements (like running) and you can shoot with a normal 180º shutter speed. But this is a great feature to have nonetheless! 😊

On 6/25/2022 at 7:57 AM, Davide Roveri said:

Made a quick and dirty test today with my BMPCC6K and the new 7.9 software.

First clip is shot on a Canon EF 50mm 1.8 (so no OIS and 75mm equivalent)

Second clip is shot on a Canon EF 24-105 f4 @ 24mm (36mm equivalent)

Overall the new stabilisation works very well especially in situations where the traditional point based stabilisation can create visible warping (i included samples of that as well for comparison)

Things to note:

- The workflow is fantastic and probably the real advantage of this over any other gyro stabilisation solution.. it's just a new option in the stabilisation panel in Resolve, no extra software and rendering needed!

- Like any other gyro stabilisation system nothing can be done to reduce motion blur so, unless you have a miniscule quantity of motion in your shot, you need to shoot with faster shutter speed. I found 45º to work the best (apart from the weird look due to the lack of motion blur, i'm experimenting in dialling that back in afterwards and see how it looks)

- Another potential issue with gyro stabilisation is rolling shutter but, according to blackmagic, it's automatically compensated in the algorithm and it doesn't seem to be a big issue (even if the 6K is not the fastest camera around rolling shutter wise). 

Much more experiments needed but i wanted to share with you my first findings, this is a very exciting development!

Great tests and thanks for sharing.

One option you might test is doing the gyro stabilisation and then the normal stabilisation on top of that.  I suspect that Resolve will only let you apply one type of stabilisation, so you'd have to render out a clip with the gyro built in and then import and stabilise that clip in a second pass, although in reality if you wanted the extra stabilisation then you could just do a pass of all the gyro shots in a project and then replace the original clips with those processed ones to edit your final project.  I suspect that would take it to gimbal levels of stabilisation, although still not giving the shutter angle support of a real gimbal.

Personally, I absolutely detest the look of a hand-held gimbal - it's the look of camera that is completely stabilised in terms of where it's pointing but is bobbing around all over the place in 3D space, it just screams amateur to me.  In this sense you'd want to limit the gyro stabilisation so that it's not dissonant with the camera physical movement, and in this kind of limited stabilisation the gyro looks easily up to the task.

Very promising!

12 hours ago, Davide Roveri said:

The camera doesn't seem to record any Gyro data if the lens stabilisation is ON (i'm not entirely sure about this but certainly the option to select the Gyro stabilisation doesn't appear inside Resolve on the clips shot with OIS) so you have to remember switching off the lens stabilisation if you plan to use the gyro. I reckon it kind of make sense though because without knowing the data from the lens gyro the result would probably be a bit messy 😅

He said this so it doesn't look like you can do both?

14 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Impressive stuff. Even more impressive that they enabled this for all their second generation Pocket cameras. The P4K is what, 3 years old now? Adding that huge of a feature on that old of a camera is pretty awesome. 

Absolutely! And this is on top of regular and impressive updates for Resolve which is becoming a phenomenal piece of software (and one you never have to pay updates for once you have a licence, which makes it very unique and absolutely commendable in my opinion)

12 hours ago, kye said:

One option you might test is doing the gyro stabilisation and then the normal stabilisation on top of that.  I suspect that Resolve will only let you apply one type of stabilisation, so you'd have to render out a clip with the gyro built in and then import and stabilise that clip in a second pass, although in reality if you wanted the extra stabilisation then you could just do a pass of all the gyro shots in a project and then replace the original clips with those processed ones to edit your final project.  I suspect that would take it to gimbal levels of stabilisation, although still not giving the shutter angle support of a real gimbal.

I gave it a go but, as i feared, the results are awful, even worse than perspective stabilisation alone 😅 I think it's just too complex to process some movements and geometries for warping stabilisation algorithms. I haven't tried with the other options to be fair but i don't expect great results either..

Pretty impressive stuff and not that big of a crop-in. However viewing those tests gave me heavy motion sickness (I'm super sensitive to it), felt like I was in a FPS / VR game. Stabilisation is almost too good lol. Kudos to BlackMagic though, their name really holds true.

4 hours ago, Davide Roveri said:

I gave it a go but, as i feared, the results are awful, even worse than perspective stabilisation alone 😅 I think it's just too complex to process some movements and geometries for warping stabilisation algorithms. I haven't tried with the other options to be fair but i don't expect great results either..

Thanks for trying it..    but I think something went wrong with that test - or the software you're using couldn't handle that particular motion perhaps?  The pulsing was terrible!

Maybe it would work getting for a more normal shot?  I think it's worth pursuing if you were interested in gimbal-like stabilisation, but obviously if you're not chasing that locked-on dead-smooth look then the gyro is definitely good enough.

1 hour ago, Django said:

Pretty impressive stuff and not that big of a crop-in. However viewing those tests gave me heavy motion sickness (I'm super sensitive to it), felt like I was in a FPS / VR game. Stabilisation is almost too good lol. Kudos to BlackMagic though, their name really holds true.

Interesting that you're very sensitive to the motion.  I'm curious to hear more because I suspect it means that you're sensitive to un-natural motion rather than all motion (otherwise you could never go anywhere or do anything!).

What types of motion are you more/less sensitive to?

Will the URSA Min Pro 12k get this?  I hope so. I also hope that the reset of the USRA Mini Pros and Broadcast get this as well.  

From what I have seen test wise (thanks for the tests! @FHDcrew and @Davide Roveri), I like the look and feel of the Gyro stabilization, it reminds me of a professional hand held shot rather than a gimbal shot which I am pretty sure I prefer the look of the Gyro.

I would also like to see what a gimbal shot without a stabilized lens followed by Gyro stabilization looks like. Should probably look similar, but maybe Gyro stabilization will make it look more like hand held footage and hopefully it will be the best of both worlds.

This a game changer feature for me as I like experience of shooing hand held, but it alway looks worse than I think it will  when I review the footage.  Now I can live in my movie making fantasy world and not have to appologise for following my creative impulses at the end of the day. Thank you Blackmagic!

18 hours ago, kye said:

Interesting that you're very sensitive to the motion.  I'm curious to hear more because I suspect it means that you're sensitive to un-natural motion rather than all motion (otherwise you could never go anywhere or do anything!).

What types of motion are you more/less sensitive to?

I'm very prone to "motion sickness" (car travel, sea travel, VR etc):   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

zero problems in airplanes, trains, or when I'm driving myself (only as passenger). the worst is FPS video games & VR, I get sick within seconds. Probably why I had similar reaction to the gyro stab tests..

1 hour ago, majoraxis said:

Will the URSA Min Pro 12k get this?  I hope so. I also hope that the reset of the USRA Mini Pros and Broadcast get this as well.  

From what I have seen test wise (thanks for the tests! @FHDcrew and @Davide Roveri), I like the look and feel of the Gyro stabilization, it reminds me of a professional hand held shot rather than a gimbal shot which I am pretty sure I prefer the look of the Gyro.

I would also like to see what a gimbal shot without a stabilized lens followed by Gyro stabilization looks like. Should probably look similar, but maybe Gyro stabilization will make it look more like hand held footage and hopefully it will be the best of both worlds.

This a game changer feature for me as I like experience of shooing hand held, but it alway looks worse than I think it will  when I review the footage.  Now I can live in my movie making fantasy world and not have to appologise for following my creative impulses at the end of the day. Thank you Blackmagic!

I didn’t do any tests lol, other than some not so great gyroflow tests with a Nikon Z6, Tamron 45mm 1.8, and iPhone as gyro logger. Didn’t turn out great for me; first time I got success, needed such a severe crop it was unusable. Then I tried recently and the info just didn’t sync up well. I don’t know if it’s a problem with the app i am using?

On 6/23/2022 at 3:26 PM, Amazeballs said:

If they would work with other cameras with gyro like the latest Sony cameras, that would be even better. I am tired of waiting for gyroflow Resolve plugin. 

This! Could save us hours of pain.

I use currently sony software to stabilise my footage export etc then hit davinci , but im delighted Davinci is stepping up its game.