Blackmagic Gyrodata will be used in Resolve!

Anaconda_

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

Hidden among the news of an unneeded camera update (BMPCC6k G2) was the fact that the Pocket cameras now record the gyro data for stabilisation in an upcoming REsolve update. This is very exciting! Grant mentions it around 1 minute into this video.

Great news indeed.  I've seen some of the recent stabilisation done from camera gyro data (was it from a Sony camera?) and the stabilisation was truly truly impressive, and I'd know because I shoot handheld and have spent a lot of time on some tricky shots trying to stabilise them.  I've developed techniques that I haven't found anyone else online even talking about so I'm pretty sure I'm quite far down the rabbit hole.

3 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Nice, let's call it OBIS (Out-body image stabilization) 😎

Finally, an out of body experience that doesn't require 'self medication' and a hangover!

Wow, this news about gyro stabilization is fantastic. I use a SteadXP+ with my 6k, and it is kind of a huge pain. Sometimes it just fails to work. It also requires me to either shoot ProRes, or to transcode my BRaw files to a non-raw format before I stabilize. But the result is absolutely worth the trouble. To do this all natively is fantastic. And to not have to buy a new camera to access the feature is pretty great as well.

Probably one of the most "one more thing" surprises of the last years - even the BMPCC 4K had the hidden gyro sensor. 🙂

Only problem with gyro stabilization is that a crop is needed - more movement, more crop. In the Grant's demo you can see it clearly, the boat shot have a bigger crop than the person shot. A great thing (in theory could be done in firmware, but probably would spend a good deal of processing power) is that the camera uses the gyro data to estimate the crop and provide a crop box on the fly. Probably kind of complex to implement.

But in the 6k, if you already plan to deliver in 4k, you could leave some room for crop already. And the stabilization looks solid, a very welcome feature for the cameras.

The tech itself is very interesting, but I'm most excited about the implementation directly in Resolve. All of Resolve's tools are sooooo quick and light, so it will be awesome to have this resource available without having to pay the toll of computer slowdown (fingers crossed) compared to other solutions.

11 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Only problem with gyro stabilization is that a crop is needed - more movement, more crop. In the Grant's demo you can see it clearly, the boat shot have a bigger crop than the person shot. A great thing (in theory could be done in firmware, but probably would spend a good deal of processing power) is that the camera uses the gyro data to estimate the crop and provide a crop box on the fly. Probably kind of complex to implement.

The fundamental problem is that no camera can see into the future, whereas stabilisation in post can look at the whole clip and do things at one point in a clip that anticipate something that happens further into the clip.

It's why the cameras with heavy stabilisation have a delay in the display - they are literally delaying what they show you so that they are able to 'see into the future' a tiny bit.

If it was in-camera and didn't have a huge delay (eg, no more than half a second) then it would be so inaccurate that it wouldn't be worth much.

I have a Z6 using gyroflow and an iPhone for logging. Right now I only have a 45mm lens so obviously not ideally wide for this technique. I want to get a 24mm 1.8 at some point but not right now. Any tips for getting decent results saying I’m at such a tight focal length?  I tried it once, just handholding Willy nilly without extra support. Stabilization worked but needed to crop in to utterly insane amounts. 

Will also test over the weekend. The beauty of this method is that we can do stabilization with gyro data in Resolve. Newer Sony cameras also have gyro data but stabilization is done in another program. It's additional and time consuming operation.

More that 3 years after a camera is out they keep updating the firmware and adding new features. To a 1000$ camera (BMPCC 4K in my case). Stabilization with gyro data is almost a game changer.  Hope it will work nicely.

How not to like Blackmagic.  😀 

This really has me tempted to finally get a BMPCC 4K. The rolling shutter in the 6K is accounted for in the gyro data, which is nice; on the Blackmagic forum one of the developers noted that you may want to use a smaller shutter angle (faster shutter speed) like 45 degrees for best results and set frame guides to the crop that will occur in stabilization.

What I don't understand is why, if this kind of system can be built into a camera, nobody seems to have developed a very small, camera-mountable gyro system that could record camera movement data, feeding it into the camera the same way timecode is fed in so the data are embedded in the recorded video file. Or maybe someone has done this and I'm just not aware of it? It would be great to not have to use a gimbal or glidecam with my original BMPCC or BMMCCs.

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, bjohn said:

What I don't understand is why, if this kind of system can be built into a camera, nobody seems to have developed a very small, camera-mountable gyro system that could record camera movement data, feeding it into the camera the same way timecode is fed in so the data are embedded in the recorded video file. Or maybe someone has done this and I'm just not aware of it? It would be great to not have to use a gimbal or glidecam with my original BMPCC or BMMCCs.

The SteadXP has been around for several years and does exactly this.

Great results but I think people have been reticent about it because it requires a separate app to process the footage rather than being a plug in as well as being put off by having to shoot at a higher shutter speed for best results.