Pocket 6K G2 Announced

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

While appreciated, you shouldn't have to spend an extra $150 or whatever to get respectable battery times because BMD decided to again use a small battery. 

Is it a small battery though?  Or is it a normal sized battery with an enormous and very bright screen?  The 6K Pro has a 1500 nit 5 inch FHD touchscreen display - with any other camera that would be a separate monitor and would require a separate battery (or two).

You can't get something for nothing, despite how much we want to!

this is a product that makes sense from a manufacturers perspective, rather than from the customers perspective, since i'm sure this is just production parts-related. i guess it would just be weird to see new p6ks in stores looking very different without any anouncements? dont really get the point of the p6k anymore since the release of the pro anyway, i just would've discontinued it. the 6k g2 lacks the most important quality of life upgrade so why bother?

i also dont think the internal battery life of the 6k pro is that bad for the type of camera it is. its a bit more than the included battery you get with the fx6 from what i can recall. how is the battery life of your alexa @TomTheDP?

i hope they ever end up doing a 4k pro with internal nds, or sort of a smaller mft ursa with the same sensor. would be cool to have a version of the 4k that isn't annoying to use as a shoulder camera. a lot people would probably appreciate a new micro cam with the 4k innards too probably. 

15 hours ago, PPNS said:

dont really get the point of the p6k anymore since the release of the pro anyway, i just would've discontinued it. t

Am sure BMD knows better than us if the P6K (non Pro) makes sense or not, as they've got all the sales data. 

They'll know how strong sales were for the P6K G1 was, if people were still frequently buying it because it was $500 cheaper (for some people that's a lot), even though P6K Pro was offering so much more (more than just NDs!). 

Whatever the P6K G1 was selling like, the G2 will only be selling even better. 

19 hours ago, PPNS said:

this is a product that makes sense from a manufacturers perspective, rather than from the customers perspective, since i'm sure this is just production parts-related. i guess it would just be weird to see new p6ks in stores looking very different without any anouncements? dont really get the point of the p6k anymore since the release of the pro anyway, i just would've discontinued it. the 6k g2 lacks the most important quality of life upgrade so why bother?

i also dont think the internal battery life of the 6k pro is that bad for the type of camera it is. its a bit more than the included battery you get with the fx6 from what i can recall. how is the battery life of your alexa @TomTheDP?

i hope they ever end up doing a 4k pro with internal nds, or sort of a smaller mft ursa with the same sensor. would be cool to have a version of the 4k that isn't annoying to use as a shoulder camera. a lot people would probably appreciate a new micro cam with the 4k innards too probably. 

The non-pro still has a number of advantages over the Pro model - size being a significant one I think.  Of course, you could make the case that once a camera is as large as the P4K it doesn't matter if it's 50% larger, and there's some logic to that, but you're really getting into the territory where you can't hand-hold it indefinitely.  I use a GH5/lens/mic hand-held and it's borderline for being able to hand-hold it indefinitely and on larger shooting days I've ended up with sore wrists the next day.  Sure I'm not a professional camera operator so I don't have the strength there, but I'm also a relatively physically capable person so I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle.

For me the major issue with the 6K range is that it's not a mirrorless mount.  I understand that you can adapt m42 lenses to EF, but there are a number of DSLR lens mounts that aren't compatible, so it kind of eliminates maybe half or two-thirds of all FF/S35 vintage lenses from consideration.  I like having MFT where I can just assume there will be an adapter and sensor coverage and perhaps even a speed booster option.

1 hour ago, kye said:

The non-pro still has a number of advantages over the Pro model - size being a significant one I think.

Not any longer! The G2 and Pro now have identical bodies, I think there is only a 36 gram difference? (the weight of the missing NDs)

33 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Not any longer! The G2 and Pro now have identical bodies, I think there is only a 36 gram difference? (the weight of the missing NDs)

I meant the old P6K, as I was responding to @PPNS saying "dont really get the point of the p6k anymore since the release of the pro anyway, i just would've discontinued it"

Now with the new P6K being the same size as the pro, yeah, that size advantage is gone.  I heard someone say that you don't need the internal NDs if you prefer to use external ones, potentially as they might be higher quality than the internal ones (I think they were referring to people who use filters in a matte box).  FrameVoyager also said they had problems with their P6K Pro NDs breaking because the camera was dropped by luggage handlers so the NDs are another moving part that can fail.

Seems like a typical camera industry thing, as:

• You get some upgrades from the previous model and combined with the same price point it's a "better" value for money
  • You pay for it with down-sides that you wouldn't have wanted and aren't welcome for a range of users

That's basically how the camera industry rolls right?