Pocket 6K G2 Announced

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

Tilt screen and higher capacity NP-F battery.

I had been pondering taking the financial hit and trading my 6K in for the Pro so this will make the hit bigger!

I thought the next one they would bring out would be the 4K Pro (or even the 6K with an MFT mount) so this seems a bit meh to me and I’m not sure why anyone looking at the 6K wouldn’t just stretch to the 6K Pro.

More details here

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's basically a Pro, also with 2 XLRs, the only difference I can see is ND filters. So I guess if you prefer variable, or Matte Box NDs the Pro is unnecessary... but that said, you can still use variable and Matte Box on the Pro.

It's a very confusing release. They'd sell a lot more by putting this camera's internals in a box shape, and calling that the 6k G2... but I guess that will cost them more in redesigning the body.

It seems like a very strange release, and maybe that's why they did it so quietly. No video announcement, just a social media post.

47 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Tilt screen and higher capacity NP-F battery.

I had been pondering taking the financial hit and trading my 6K in for the Pro so this will make the hit bigger!

I thought the next one they would bring out would be the 4K Pro (or even the 6K with an MFT mount) so this seems a bit meh to me and I’m not sure why anyone looking at the 6K wouldn’t just stretch to the 6K Pro.

More details here

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera

Hmm... what an odd upgrade. I think your idea of a 4K Pro would have made more sense. Every 4K owner may have traded up to a 4K Pro... but I'm not so sure they'll trade up for a 6K G2. They could have dropped the price of the 4K to $99 and introduced the 4K Pro at $1499. I may have been interested. 

• Super Members
54 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

It's basically a Pro, also with 2 XLRs, the only difference I can see is ND filters. So I guess if you prefer variable, or Matte Box NDs the Pro is unnecessary... but that said, you can still use variable and Matte Box on the Pro.

I think the option to take the EVF is a big advantage for the G2 over the original 6K but the internal ND would definitely push me over the edge to spring the extra for the 6K Pro.

54 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

It seems like a very strange release, and maybe that's why they did it so quietly. No video announcement, just a social media post.

Purely speculative but it hints at it being a way to get around a component supply issue for the original or economy of scale to not keep two separate bodies for the 6K.

There's also a new update for all 4 pocket cameras. 

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/readme/e92467316d644536806f8829b129178a

---

What's new in Blackmagic Camera 7.9

Added Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K G2 support.

The following models have new features.

Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, 6K and 6K Pro

Added new updated user interface.

Added support for focus assist intensity adjustments via sliders.

Added support for custom presets and LUTs to be retained after software updates from this release onwards.

Improved lens and auto focus performance.

Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, 6K G2 and 6K Pro

Added support for Blackmagic Design Zoom and Focus demands.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think the option to take the EVF is a big advantage for the G2 over the original 6K but the internal ND would definitely push me over the edge to spring the extra for the 6K Pro.

Purely speculative but it hints at it being a way to get around a component supply issue for the original or economy of scale to not keep two separate bodies for the 6K.

My understanding is that there's a ton of work in designing a PCB, and it looks like their main PCB is large and potentially has almost everything on it (I haven't studied it though).

4K PCB:

image.png.a0a7369b3d19e481dad88e233a6ea292.png

6K PCB

image.png.b174a42d003366b5923d5f9fed5cf870.png

Anyway, making the 6K the same as the 6K Pro (notice how the 6K is now the same size as the 6K Pro?) would give them economies of scale and synergies, while being able to configure the other things (NDs, brighter screen, etc) to be different.

It makes sense as a commercial move for them in terms of pricing and manufacture.  I've had the sense through their seemingly random previous camera models that they were leaping from one design to the next perhaps based on what was cheap and available at the time.  This meant that every camera was largely a new design, making them more prone to QC issues.  Seems this update is aligned to that perhaps.

Pity it wasn't a Komodo-style box design though.  The BMMCC still has no replacement, and nothing even remotely close in terms of size, so I'm still holding out hope for a box camera.  If it has a usable top display I'd consider it.

I don't have the time to watch this morning, but the title mentions something about gyro data? I'm guessing to help with stabilization in post? That'd be pretty cool. 

I go back and forth on picking one of these cameras up, but ultimately the cheap feel of the body and ergonomics just don't do it for me. I don't understand how a company that has such an elegant UI can also have such poorly designed camera bodies. 

34 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I don't have the time to watch this morning, but the title mentions something about gyro data? I'm guessing to help with stabilization in post? That'd be pretty cool. 

I go back and forth on picking one of these cameras up, but ultimately the cheap feel of the body and ergonomics just don't do it for me. I don't understand how a company that has such an elegant UI can also have such poorly designed camera bodies. 

Yep, they revealed today that all the BMPCC cameras (4K, 6K, 6KG2 and 6K Pro - not the OG BMPCC, of course) already had an internal gyro that is now enabled, and the data could be used to stabilize in post using Resolve.

4 hours ago, kye said:

It makes sense as a commercial move for them in terms of pricing and manufacture.  I've had the sense through their seemingly random previous camera models that they were leaping from one design to the next perhaps based on what was cheap and available at the time.  This meant that every camera was largely a new design, making them more prone to QC issues.  Seems this update is aligned to that perhaps.

That's been my sense as well. It seemed clear when they released the Broadcast G2 with the 6K sensor and specs. I think I remember Grant Petty saying essentially they couldn't source any more of the original Broadcast sensors so they cannibalized the 6K ones for that line. 

4 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

That's been my sense as well. It seemed clear when they released the Broadcast G2 with the 6K sensor and specs. I think I remember Grant Petty saying essentially they couldn't source any more of the original Broadcast sensors so they cannibalized the 6K ones for that line essentially making an Ursa Mini Pro G3, but not really. Funky stuff.

I was just reading about this new boy, out of curiosity more than anything because I was considering one early this year, but the lack of a tilt screen, no stab and poor battery life put me off.

And then got slightly excited when I read that they added the tilt, bigger battery and gyro stab…but then aaaaargh, removed the ND!

Oh well, back to my Sigma and next gen FF Panny dreams 😜