Why are bad cameras the best cameras?

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've been considering getting a GH1 as an experiment, to see what I can do with it now with more experience/better lighting. I'm surprised by the color/fidelity of the GH1. In certain situations, newer cameras are better. I recently shot BTS on a friend's short in very low lighting conditions, with the GH5. As so-so as the GH5 is at 3200iso, the GH1 would be so much worse (color shift/noise above 640iso) and no stabilization. But in a narrative film situation with more control, there might be less of a difference. After writing the above, I decided to make a reel of some old GH1 footage remastered and regraded:

And here's a couple other test videos I would have included had I not deleted the raw footage:

There are some limitations with the GH1 dynamic range, but the clips in the reel are mostly available natural light. One or two shots are lit with a shop light and diffusion gel. Imagine if I actually used lights and modifiers as I would now, it would look much better. And I was just using the 14-42mm Panasonic kit lens, a Canon FD 50mm 1.4, a Sakar 28m f/2.8 and Sankor 16c/Optivision XW5000 Anamorphic lenses.

The second video (Lighting test) is when I got more serious and bought lights, a modifier and "cine" lenses: 300w and 150w Arri fresnel knockoffs, a 5-In-1 reflector, and a Rokinon 16mm f/2 and 24mm f1.4

The bottom video is a test a friend (the one in the video) wanted to shoot for a film he wanted to direct (with me as DP) when I lived in North Hollywood in 2014. He wanted to test spherical and anamorphic. This video kind makes me want to get a Helios 44M again.

@Matt Kieley The shot of the woman on the couch at 1:07 in the first video is really nice. And it looks like there may have been a couple of other shots from the same film as well. Do you recall what lens you were using?

The GH1 is plenty for storytelling. Dynamic range is a challenge but I find that I prefer the look to most modern cameras. Here's a test (not by me) that did a good job of showing the why the GH2 (with the same sensor as the GH1) creates a much more emotionally resonant image than the GH5. At least to me:

15 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Meh, as a crew person on a film I am very much a blue collar worker, just grinding out each day doing my job in service of the director's (and actors) vision. Not my own. 

I was referring to solo-shooters who are just technicians.  For example Chris and Jordan who review video and cinema cameras and yet shoot only YT videos and a short film every year.  Their reviews seem confident and informed, but to people who actually shoot non-YT content it's painfully obvious that they're just reviewing every camera for how good it is at shooting YT camera reviews.

15 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'd need to check, but couldn't with the Sony FX9 (that does four channel) you send a source to more than one track? Then set different gain levels. 

https://www.manua.ls/sony/pxw-fx9k/manual?p=95

Drop the bag in the corner / by the tripod? Monitor the audio with a Lectrosonics IFBlue, and use Deity TC1 for keeping everything in sync for an easy postproduction workflow. 

You forgot about when I get it all confiscated for shooting in public without a permit or it being held by security at whatever venue I go to until I leave because "it looks professional".  A GH5 and small shotgun mic is pushing it as it is!

1 hour ago, QuickHitRecord said:

@Matt Kieley The shot of the woman on the couch at 1:07 in the first video is really nice. And it looks like there may have been a couple of other shots from the same film as well. Do you recall what lens you were using?

Thanks. It was my Optivision XW5000 anamorphic lens. Not sure which taking lens it was, either the Sakar 28mm f/2.8 or Bushnell 35mm f/2.8. I can't remember which taking lens I used for the tighter shot. I sometimes used a 75-150mm f/3.8 zoom (can't remember the brand). I think some of the exterior shots were the Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 (chrome ring).

HD 25p has always been of lesser quality on GH1,2 and G6,7,85, GX85. @webrunner5

Shooting in 4K on the adequate cameras helps, that exludes the GH2 and others of course. Or film in 24p and enjoy the classic GH2 image. Congratulations, btw to your purchase. GAS is an akward thang, BMPCC in the pocket but still you needed that legendary GH2, besides your legendary AF100. 🙂