GH4 vs AX100 for field documentary work?

jnorman34

I am doing straightforward documentary footage of architectural subject matter. I have been using a D5300, and have a GH4 on preorder. But I am wondering If a sony AX100 might be a better choice for what I am doing. I am not trying to shoot "cinema". I want sharp. I have mainly been a still shooter, and am relatively new to video.

I have viewed as many video samples and comparisons as I can find, and as usual opinions are all over the places. Footage from both gh4 and ax100 all looks good to me. It really comes down to ease of post processing and ease of use in the field. The ax100 camcorder factor has benefits and convenient power zoom, and much better internal mics for general ambient pickup. It comes with adequate editing software for the sony 4k files, and doesn't require speed class 3 cards. The main problem I see with the sony is no good wide angle solution. Much of my current work is done at 18mm equivalent FL.

The gh4 has good wide angle lenses available. However, I will need spendy new memory cards, new software, and very likely a whole new very expensive computer to handle the files.

While I like the gh4, if I could find a good wide angle solution for the ax100, I would probably go with the camcorder form factor.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc would be much appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Any chance you could try a AX 100 in your local camera shop ??

How much of your shooting is indoors.??

If you need  wide angle, normal light indoors (no extra lighting),I think you will find the AX 100 inadequate.

You could fit a 62mm x 0.65 Wide angle converter lens on it ,I used one on a Mini DV camera about 10

years ago and found they are not the real answer,reduced image quality,reduced light and distortion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/473184-REG/Impact_DVP_WA65_62_DVP_WA65_62_62mm_Wide_Angle.html

Have you considered the new Sony Alpha7S.?

thanks ash - almost none of the footage is indoors, but almost all of it is WA.  The sony a7s will not do 4k internally, and I actually prefer the longer depth of field available from smaller sensors - I never use shallow depth of field shots.  sony makes a WA adapter fro the ax100 for about $280, but I have seen no tests of it.  someone did post a test of the raynox adapter on the ax100, and it was simply not sharp enough.  I plan on using a 7-14mm on the GH4 if I go that way.

I've been going back an fourth with this same question myself.  Every time I go into Best Buy I go play with it and try to convince myself that I don't need it.  It is a great "utility knife camcorder" to have in your arsenal. I think it would be great for run n gun setups and other things where you don't want to fiddle with lenses, adaptors, dslr type rigs. The zoom is excellent and that 4k is good so long as you don't zoom in...then you get into jello hell.  

Created an account just to ask: why do you need 4K? Not disparaging it at all, in the market for a GH4 myself. But from everything you say it sounds like you need something else entirely.

Worried about needing new memory cards, new software, new computer. Barely any footage indoors. Fond of deep focus and small sensors. Sounds like you need something with internal ND and not in a DSLR form factor, like an HMC150 or AC160. Or a Sony RX10 might be a great middle ground. A built in ND, slightly smaller than m43 - 3x crop, servo zoom. Hell, what are you unhappy with about the D5300?

Again, I understand the temptation of 4K, but I don't understand why you would want it for your needs and with your concerns...

Since jrnorman34 is doing archival footage of historical buildings, I think 4K is an excellent choice: especially as even when viewed at 1080p, the advantages are evident. I would, however, discourage using Panasonic's 7-14mm lens, for the same reasons Huuow advanced - no ND filter means stopping down, resulting in degraded performance. The only reason I can think of for purchasing a Panasonic zoom is the OIS, a feature that is probably unnecessary in your line of work. I am curious how you use sound while shooting, since I'm not familiar with this specialized branch of video. Any chance you could explain how you use sound, or could you post a sample of your work?

jon - I generally use aperture priority, with f8 as primary setting, and let the shutter go wherever it needs to - I don't often have issues with odd looking rolling wheels, etc.  but I do have a clamp on filter holder that I used to use with my 4x5 for times when I want slower shutter for water shots, etc. 

I have a little audio technical Pro24 on-cam mic I use for ambient pickup.  ambient audio is included with all vetted archival footage submitted, but is only rarely included in the "overview" videos (selected short clips).  I typically do several minutes of footage on a given subject for the archival video, and then take little pieces of several subjects and compile them for the overview videos - for the overviews, I just drop in some canned background music and will include some pertinent ambient audio if it is important - such as the steam whistle sound of a paddle wheeler as it passes under a bridge - so the reviewer will know there is some live audio they may want to include in their use. 

here is one of the little overview videos:

Having watched your video, I was about to do a turnaround and say the Razer Blade might suffice after all... if you're really not adding any effects, not even dissolves; not using any LUTs or DaVinci Resolve or running several apps at the same time; or bothering with noise reduction or any heavy grading - why not? I guess the reason I would never buy it is because pretty much every single reviewer says the LCD is awful. I would still stick with the GH4 (forget the Sony!) and try to find a fast notebook (if you absolutely don't want a desktop) with at least a screen that isn't washed out and has good blacks. Or you could choose from among 27 refurbished iMacs with full 1-year warranty, starting at $1,050. :)