Glidecam HD 1000 vs 2000 for Gh3?

Benjamin Gadberry

Hey folks, so I did a search of the forums looking for a topic that discussed the question I'm asking, but didn't come up with anything conclusive, other than that many purchasers of the Glidecam HD 1000 regretted their purchase and wished they had bought the 2000.

I'm trying to decide what the best option is for my GH3––I currently shoot with the 14mm f2.5, and would like to use a Glidecam. I'd also want to use my Rode Video Mic and heavier lenses possibly in the future. 

Does anyone here with GH3/Glidecam experience have any pointers? Which Glidecam is best for the GH3 with accessories? Would the HD 2000 work with just the GH3 body/battery/SD card if I wasn't doing a shoot that required my Rode mic?

Thanks a bunch––this forum seems cool!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting. I'm a GH2 user and use the Glidecam 2000. I have to add all sorts of weights and lights to my gh2 to make it heavy enough to work with this. I thought the Glidecam 1000 would have been a better fit and I'm looking at getting one.

Interesting. I'm a GH2 user and use the Glidecam 2000. I have to add all sorts of weights and lights to my gh2 to make it heavy enough to work with this. I thought the Glidecam 1000 would have been a better fit and I'm looking at getting one.

64mulford, when you say add weights, did you have to buy additional weights from Glidecam to work with the HD2000, or did you come up with a DIY solution? 

I'm not sure about buying the extra weights - I hire the 2000 often and it comes with a bunch of weights. Not sure if they are part of the original kit or not. I dont think they are as there are LOTS of them. My solution is a combination of weights and a LED panel light on the hotshoe.

The 1000's weight specs definitley can handle a GH3/4 and judging from my experince with the 2000 I think the 1000 would be a better experience. Would be keen to here if anyone has actually used a 1000 though.

64mulford, when you say add weights, did you have to buy additional weights from Glidecam to work with the HD2000, or did you come up with a DIY solution? 

No you need to buy additional weight to add to the camera area (the glide cam comes with it;s own weights for the bottom to counter balance against the camera weight).

I used a couple of cheap cheese plates from b&h.