SLog vs Clog c

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, kye said:

If you're using Resolve, you can convert from one to the other, so essentially zero difference.

In practical terms, both will be rubbish until you learn to colour grade.

So Slog3 and Clog2 are the same but clog2 is noticeably different than clog3 ?

CLOG 3 has more contrast. There is also a cutoff in the shadows making it appear cleaner but also giving you less information in the shadows. There is also probably a bit less highlight retention. It's good if you want to just add a bit of contrast and saturation and call it a day. CLOG2 is a more conventional log where the full dynamic range of the sensor is maintained.

28 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

So Slog3 and Clog2 are the same but clog2 is noticeably different than clog3 ?

Let me rephrase:

• C-Log2 requires learning to colour grade in order to get a good grade in terms of highlight rolloff and dynamic range as well as the final output
  • S-Log2 requires learning to colour grade in order to get a good grade in terms of highlight rolloff and dynamic range as well as the final output
  • S-Log3 requires learning to colour grade in order to get a good grade in terms of highlight rolloff and dynamic range as well as the final output

The reason that I say this is that if you know even the basics of how to colour grade then they are essentially interchangeable, in terms of getting "a good grade in terms of highlight rolloff and dynamic range as well as the final output", and if you don't know how to colour grade then you won't be able to get "a good grade in terms of highlight rolloff and dynamic range as well as the final output".

Remember how I said in the "please tell me what camera to buy so I won't have to learn how to colour grade" thread that you keep asking the same question over and over but just using different words?  Well, this is another example of that.

Yep you have got to do more than just apply a rec709 conversion. Believe me I’m learning this right now with Nikon N-Log. We keep telling you it’s experience you (and myself lol) need. Please, please stop complaining over your Canon R6, which I am jealous of over my Nikon Z6 due to its internal 10 bit. So in my eyes your camera is already better, and I think the Z6 10 bit is beautiful. All bad results I get are totally my fault, be it the way I light or grade. You are just avoiding what will actually make you better. 

56 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

"It doesn't really matter which one you use, they're both great, just pick one and get out and shoot, because learning how to use the camera you already have is so much more important than upgrading your camera or switching to a supposedly better brand".

5 hours ago, kye said:

"It doesn't really matter which one you use, they're both great, just pick one and get out and shoot, because learning how to use the camera you already have is so much more important than upgrading your camera or switching to a supposedly better brand".

Yup - I enjoyed that video. I was curious how clog2 clog 3 and slog3 compared. I’d assume there’s a technical answer regarding highlights and DR etc.  I read or saw a few folks say they didn’t like the R5/R6 or even R5C because clog2 was way better than clog3 and prefer the c70 for that reason 

4 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Yup - I enjoyed that video. I was curious how clog2 clog 3 and slog3 compared. I’d assume there’s a technical answer regarding highlights and DR etc.  I read or saw a few folks say they didn’t like the R5/R6 or even R5C because clog2 was way better than clog3 and prefer the c70 for that reason 

I've read people saying that the earth is flat, that it's round, that it's a virtual reality, and that there's no proof that we exist.

I've found there are two types of information:

• information that doesn't matter - it doesn't matter because there aren't any decisions we're making that are impacted by it
  • information that does matter - it matters because it directly relates to what we are doing, and therefore, because it directly relates to what we are doing, we should test it personally, and not rely on what other people, who may or may not be completely full of shit, say about it, when at no time in their testing were they us

Does your R6 have C-Log 2 and 3?  If not, who cares.  If so, test them yourself.

....after you learn how to colour grade.

Hyperbolin poop until it looks all the same, like poop.:) Anyway, I would love us to post more lil vignettes instead of searching significance in youtubepoop.

@SRV1981 I find CLog3 very easy to grade and Canon 10bit cameras are capable of great images. I find some A7S I and II very challenging to grade under unlit circumstances. Regardless their high light sensitivity they don´t provide nice colours easily, especially not in the LOG formats, coming from my experience. I once had a gig they gave me an A7SII for. I recorded Rec709, 400 ISO and codec still didnt hold up grading very well.

I imagine Canon R6 being a pretty cool camera. Cannot go wrong with a FX3 neither. Or with Lumix S5, if you want a "full frame" camera. So with your Canon R6 you are settled perfectly for some great colours. The little differences only matter when you are used to one of the profiles and plan on shooting with the other. When I rent a C300 II, I always film in CLOG3 and always do a black balance before shooting. Clog 3 is better in lowlight than 2 and easier to grade for me.

Slog from the  A7 III on is pretty good. Tiny difference only matter when doing high end commercials or films. Other than that all 10bit cameras put out a neat image. What´s more important under that buch of rather higher priced cameras is usuablitity, battery life and sturdiness. SLOG flavours on FS700, PMW F3,5,55,65:), FX6,9, FS5,7 is very different from the early photocams and a good format to record in, even in its 8bit alterations in the FS700 and F3. But with your R6 you have a great camera to enjoy, when it comes down to a nice image. cheers