Looking ahead to new 2012 cameras - the return of DSLR video with a vengeance

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/new-dslrs-2012.jpg[/img]

2012 will be the best year for DSLR video since it all began to kick off in 2009 with major releases due from every big manufacturer.

This is a Photokina year starting September 18th as well, where we will most likely see the Panasonic GH3. There are other key events like CES and NAB within 4 months to keep an eye on, particularly for a working Canon’s 4K DSLR prototype.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/6687/looking-ahead-to-new-2012-cameras-the-return-of-dslr-video-with-a-vengeance/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
"This is in April and with Canon showing off a 4K DSLR it is unlikely other companies (most notably Sony) will let Canon have all the 4K limelight to themselves."

So, what about the other cameras with 4K video? You don't mention any specifically. I suspect that the manufacturers are up to their typical tiered, incremental BS again. There's probably no reason they couldn't do a consumer-priced, 4K, global-shutter camera -- except then they couldn't milk the technology or gouge consumers.

• Administrators
4K for the masses is coming, it won't be such a niche in future years. Manufacturers need a way to sell new TVs and cameras. 3D worked in doing this to a degree. 4K is the next logical step.

When there is a DSLR doing 4K for $3k, suddenly dropping $20k on a large sensor camcorder doesn't really appeal does it?

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=112.msg983#msg983 date=1325290268]
4K for the masses is coming, it won't be such a niche in future years. Manufacturers need a way to sell new TVs and cameras. 3D worked in doing this to a degree. 4K is the next logical step.

When there is a DSLR doing 4K for $3k, suddenly dropping $20k on a large sensor camcorder doesn't really appeal does it?
[/quote]

I was referring to camcorders in the range of the Af100 and Fs100. 4K isn't must have for me at the moment unless they can get it close to Mark III price.

First of all , I'm very happy to join the forum and the Andrew's blog.
Just be patience with my bad english.
I know that Christmas already past, but I would like to ask specially for the GH3:

1.Better batteries, maybe a grip?
2.The chance to shoot 4/3 mode with avchd. Could it be? Or it's only posible in MJPEG? If so, 24p for MJPEG
3.Better screen
4.Please Mr.Panasonic don't change the size, so I can still use my Rewo 2.0....
5.Better sensor of course for dinamic range
6.Better focus help like the new canon'hack.
7.Uncompressed HDMI

Sorry I forgot we are talkin about DSLRs and not only of the new baby "GH3"

Saludos!

• Administrators
[quote author=moebius22 link=topic=112.msg987#msg987 date=1325291605]I was referring to camcorders in the range of the Af100 and Fs100. 4K isn't must have for me at the moment unless they can get it close to Mark III price.
[/quote]

True, at the higher prices there are more important things than 4K at the moment. In fact I'd rather have clean 1080p on the 5D Mark III at $2-3k than pay $6k for a 4K DSLR.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=112.msg990#msg990 date=1325295344]
[quote author=moebius22 link=topic=112.msg987#msg987 date=1325291605]I was referring to camcorders in the range of the Af100 and Fs100. 4K isn't must have for me at the moment unless they can get it close to Mark III price.
[/quote]

True, at the higher prices there are more important things than 4K at the moment. In fact I'd rather have clean 1080p on the 5D Mark III at $2-3k than pay $6k for a 4K DSLR.
[/quote]
1080p is limited to getting the framing right first time. With 4k video it is like having higher resolution stills which you can crop. This is important if you want to add stability to a video, say crop it at 1080p. Also you can add cool shake effect at 1080p when cropping a 4k video.

I can bet there will be other video improvements in the EOS 4k other than the 4k. AF tracking in filming will be improved, true HDMI out at 1080p, 4k and all other video modes. Built in ND filter. Higher fps mode such as 120fps. New dedicated videostyles consist of various modes include ones suitable for grading and straight out of camera including HDR. I'm prepared to give 5DMkIII a miss and have more fun with the EOS 4k.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=112.msg994#msg994 date=1325333047]
Getting the framing right first time is part of what makes a good filmmaker!
[/quote]

The option to manipulate framing makes a better film. 4k video also very useful for events that involve handheld then use video editor stabilizer cropping to 1080p I have a very smooth professional footage.