Guess the camera, going for film look

dreamplayhouse

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great to see another FZ47 video! I like your treatment of the footage a lot. It looks different than just about everything else (obviously CMOS cameras, but it also stands apart from any of the HVX/ZIU/etc crowd too).

Here's an earlier edit without Topaz:

The image quality is riddled with problems, but I still find myself drawn to it. I agree with @PannySVHS; the video on this camera would have been a much more compelling feature with a higher bitrate. I wish this camera had been one of the Lumix bodies to be hacked back in the day.

@PannySVHS Thanks. This one was one of my favorites too. She wrote the words and I shot the visuals, and then I did a same-day edit -- it never had a chance to overstay its welcome.

The FZ-47 isn't equipped with wifi at all. I was able to get into the service menu once in the hopes of switching it over to a 50Hz/PAL camera (currently, it can only record 29.97, but I wasn't successful in doing that either. If there any avid camera hackers here, it would not be difficult to source an FZ47 to experiment with!

Me, or the OP? I liked his grade too.

For mine, it looked terrible OOC -- it always does with this camera. I just tweaked it until I got something I liked. I think I used FilmConvert on this (probably the second Vision3 option). Heavy grain does wonders to cover up an image that's been pushed beyond its comfort zone. And then I think maybe some flicker and film dust over top to help cover it up even more? I'm pretty sure that was it.

On 6/14/2022 at 3:04 AM, dreamplayhouse said:

Here is the full edited/graded version.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mjsfrmeukttncp/bday-film.mov?dl=0

Be sure to download as it plays lower quality through Dropbox.

Would love some honest feedback and thoughts on the grading and if the look reminds you of film at all.

Cool edit, and especially amusing transition at the end to the reality of the situation!

Honest thoughts about the grading:

• You've done well, and some shots are definitely there with the film look
  • I think the saturation is too high - if you do a google image search for "super 16 film stills" and just scroll through then you'll see that film doesn't get that saturated, or if it does it's because it's been pushed in one direction (e.g. when the whole frame is very warm or very cool)
  • I think the "look" is applied too strongly - the look pushes the warm and cool colours and mutes the magenta/green colours but if you look at the rainbows (the bag and the girls t-shirt with the heart on it) the purple is almost colour-less compared to the warm and cool tones which are bordering on electric
  • Some shots are too sharp - different film stocks all had different colour palettes but one of the give-away things of film was the texture of details and of grain.  Some shots are soft and have the right amount of detail, but other shots are much more detailed/sharper and are reminiscent of 35mm or MF film, which doesn't fit with the camera being hand-held outdoors.  A slight blur of those shots would really help.

Getting the "film look" is a rabbit hole that's very very deep, and I've seen colourists say that they've never seen a film grain emulation that looked real to them - but that's because they stared at real film for 12-18 hours per day for 30 years.  Obviously the rest of us aren't so attuned to it!

If you apply the film emulation slightly less strongly, make the whole thing less saturated and blur the shots more evenly then I think it'll be quite convincing.  The awesome thing about these three treatments is that they all help to make lower-quality footage from a cheaper camera look better.  I've played this game with very very low-image quality cameras and you'd be amazed at how much you can 'save' a horrifically digital image by making it look low-quality film.  Image quality doesn't get better, but it's much much nicer to look at.

On 6/17/2022 at 6:00 AM, QuickHitRecord said:

Great to see another FZ47 video! I like your treatment of the footage a lot. It looks different than just about everything else (obviously CMOS cameras, but it also stands apart from any of the HVX/ZIU/etc crowd too).

Here's an earlier edit without Topaz:

The image quality is riddled with problems, but I still find myself drawn to it. I agree with @PannySVHS; the video on this camera would have been a much more compelling feature with a higher bitrate. I wish this camera had been one of the Lumix bodies to be hacked back in the day.

Great little edit.  Film emulation is on-point too - great stuff!