Arri Alexa - FX3 - C70 matching

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yet another example of someone who doesn't know how to colour.

If you were going to match the cameras, then why not use a CST to LOG and then use the same LUT.  Colour management tools exist, and have done for many years, this is literally what they're for and is literally the point of the video and he doesn't use them.

10 minutes ago, kye said:

If you were going to match the cameras, then why not use a CST to LOG and then use the same LUT.  Colour management tools exist, and have done for many years, this is literally what they're for and is literally the point of the video and he doesn't use them.

like this?

43 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

like this?

Well, it's rather strange that he did a WB without having the LUTs / conversions in place, because there's no guarantee that whatever flavour of log it's shot in will be neutral, but in general yes, that's a better workflow.

41 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

And this:

Waqas is one of the reliable colourists on YT, but he tends to overcomplicate things for views and to get people to buy his course.  Still, the method in this video is reasonable.

But you should be able to get great looking footage if you:

• know your camera and how to shoot and get the most from it (years of use)
  • know how to grade it in the way that gives you the look you like most
  • keep it simple

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 10:56 PM, kye said:

yes, it is not a colorist posting this lol. and CST in resolve is not a magical tool that can make a sony look like an Alexa. 

22 hours ago, bagelboy said:

yes, it is not a colorist posting this lol. and CST in resolve is not a magical tool that can make a sony look like an Alexa. 

....and yet they're publishing videos and people who don't know what they're doing are "learning" from it.

Agreed. I’ve loved focusing on things like lighting and color grading. Composition. Things that actually make a difference to your image. So much on YT is gear reviews of expensive cameras, as I’ve said before we are at an image quality threshold, so all we can do is get better ourselves. I find there is a great mixture on this forum; we can all have fun geeking out about the next new camera or RAW codec, but then we will all turn around, reminisce about an old Gh1 or F3, and talk about lighting/color grading practice, with a dose of anamorphic lenses thrown in. Great forum, I wish it had as much traction as it used to get. I also miss Andrew’s constant articles of the past. 

On 6/9/2022 at 4:30 AM, SRV1981 said:

Interesting in this test it seems the c70 matches better in contrast and brightness. 

How is this interesting?
The FX3 and A7sIII are pretty much the full frame 10 bit equivalent to a GoPro when it comes to image processing.
Also usable latitude on these cameras is quite weak while the C70, which doesn't have any oversharpening nor heavy temporal filtering and therefor no smearing nor texture loss, is the best in its class and competes with the likes of the Pocket 6K (HR recovery) and Panasonic S series and even outperforms these ever so slightly with internal RAW.

19 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

Agreed. I’ve loved focusing on things like lighting and color grading. Composition. Things that actually make a difference to your image. So much on YT is gear reviews of expensive cameras, as I’ve said before we are at an image quality threshold, so all we can do is get better ourselves. I find there is a great mixture on this forum; we can all have fun geeking out about the next new camera or RAW codec, but then we will all turn around, reminisce about an old Gh1 or F3, and talk about lighting/color grading practice, with a dose of anamorphic lenses thrown in. Great forum, I wish it had as much traction as it used to get. I also miss Andrew’s constant articles of the past. 

Beautifully written!

@deezid Awesome to read from you! Bought the S1 two years ago after Andrews article and after your deep dive observations regarding an honest hq cinema image without nasty processing artefacts. Hope to see more sneak peaks of your projects. Your GH4 footage was and is a legendary treat for lovers of the little camera with the big image. "Americana" was the name of the piece. A A7S3, FX3 with the processing of a FX6 would be a uber camera though.

55 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Beautifully written!

@deezid Awesome to read from you! Bought the S1 two years ago after Andrews article and after your deep dive observations regarding an honest hq cinema image without nasty processing artefacts. Hope to see more sneak peaks of your projects. Your GH4 footage was and is a legendary treat for lovers of the little camera with the big image. "Americana" was the name of the piece. A A7S3, FX3 with the processing of a FX6 would be a uber camera though.

If the A7s3 came with the processing of the FX6 and at least some of its video-related features, there would be no more reason to get any Panasonic nor Blackmagic camera let alone the FX6 at all. 😄

The GH4 was so hard to deal with, shot internally in 8 Bit V-Log L, the banding was insane.
Did some selective debanding on some areas to fix it. I wish I had an external recorder back then. 
The GH5 after was much cleaner but was way oversharpened, had ghosting issues caused by heavy temporal filtering (fixed in mid 2017 via firmware) and seemed to have less DR to me, still kept it until the Pocket 4K came out which was later ruined with BRAW and its quite heavy spatial filtering and sharpening, my original P4K sadly died and had to be replaced with a model that didn't support earlier firmwares. 😭

Since then I've been using the Pocket 6K and later S1H with external BRAW are okish, the higher resolution compensates for the heavy filtering to a certain degree. My new GH6 outperforms both when it comes to texture with its internal ProRes recording, the image basically looks like RAW, almost unfiltered. I love it and used it as my A-camera on my last shoot. 🙂

2 hours ago, deezid said:

If the A7s3 came with the processing of the FX6 and at least some of its video-related features, there would be no more reason to get any Panasonic nor Blackmagic camera let alone the FX6 at all. 😄

The GH4 was so hard to deal with, shot internally in 8 Bit V-Log L, the banding was insane.
Did some selective debanding on some areas to fix it. I wish I had an external recorder back then. 
The GH5 after was much cleaner but was way oversharpened, had ghosting issues caused by heavy temporal filtering (fixed in mid 2017 via firmware) and seemed to have less DR to me, still kept it until the Pocket 4K came out which was later ruined with BRAW and its quite heavy spatial filtering and sharpening, my original P4K sadly died and had to be replaced with a model that didn't support earlier firmwares. 😭

Since then I've been using the Pocket 6K and later S1H with external BRAW are okish, the higher resolution compensates for the heavy filtering to a certain degree. My new GH6 outperforms both when it comes to texture with its internal ProRes recording, the image basically looks like RAW, almost unfiltered. I love it and used it as my A-camera on my last shoot. 🙂

Great to hear your feedback on the GH6 and Prores implementation.  I simply cannot imagine a phrase more lovely than "the image basically looks like RAW".

@deezidLike  kye, I am a great fan of the HD image from the GH5, liking the nice 4K as well. It is a bit too sharp ooc but also high resolving. I must admit, VLog L can produce blotchyness on certain skintones under harsh conditions when graded towards a colorful cinematic look.

You have been a fan of the 10bit 150Mbit codec and its image on the S1. So not that much anymore? Neither of the S1H 400mbit prowess? How comes your change of mind? I am pretty impressed by the former. Just having troubles with it in green enviroments with harsh light. But who doesn´t with any camera. 🙂

Looking forward to some GH6 beauty coming from your hands. How does it compare to the other 10bit 422 codecs? How is your general opinion on those? Prores update for many other resolution and modes coming soon! Many questions, I know.:)

cheers

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

What is the deal with the GH6? I hardly see any info on it here and even not too much on the web. It's like it doesn't exist. It should sort of be a one thing does it all camera.

I'm not too sure why.  There are people in the FB groups steadily saying they got their GH6 and posting initial impressions and questions.  Maybe because the GH6 isn't a "killer" camera people will gradually upgrade to it over time instead of everyone all at once.