Two minor GH4 annoyances

Smeeth123

Finally received my GH4 from B&H last night. I haven't had much of an opportunity to shoot yet, but so far the image seems to be as fantastic as everyone has made it out to be. A huge step up from my hacked GH2. Only two very minor issues have been bothering me, and they may well be born out of my own ignorance (photos are attached):

First, when using manual focus I've noticed that a white bracket appears in the middle of the monitor/evf that corresponds to the area that is zoomed when using focus assist. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get that bracket to go away (other than wait for the UI to fade away automatically after a minute or so). Perhaps it can't? Anyone know if this was also true for the GH3?

Secondly, I've noticed that the articulating screen doesn't seem to fold out to a perfect 180 degrees, which results in a slightly awkward angle when the screen is being used. I can imagine that this might be by design so that the the hinge doesn't hyper-extend as easily. Can anyone confirm?

Neither issue is by any means a deal breaker for me, but the second is somewhat concerning.

post-17602-0-54800600-1398955254_thumb.j

post-17602-0-72266600-1398955264_thumb.j

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Ivan,

Good to know about the screen. Fn3 just punches in focus assist zoom for me. The bracket returns when I return to the normal view mode. I reset everything back to factory default settings just to be safe, and I still can't get the damn thing to go away. I'll live with it if I have to, but seems really weird.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

There isn't a disp. Button of some kind to change the display overlay, give a clean image and get rid of these small annoying things? (like on Canons for ex.)

With regards to the articulating screen, would a journo be able to frame them self up infront of the camera?

It's not an issue with my GH3.  There's no awkward tilt to it when the camera is facing you.  You'd probably not even notice the right part of the screen is slightly pushed back after you use it once or twice.

There isn't a disp. Button of some kind to change the display overlay, give a clean image and get rid of these small annoying things? (like on Canons for ex.)

There is a display button that hides various sections of the overlay, but that bracket is the one thing that doesn't go away. The only instance where I seem to be able to make it go away is by attaching an active micro four thirds lens and switching to auto focus. Still seems odd to me, but whatever.

It's not an issue with my GH3.  There's no awkward tilt to it when the camera is facing you.  You'd probably not even notice the right part of the screen is slightly pushed back after you use it once or twice.

Hi Michael. I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying that your GH3 screen doesn't exhibit the same tilt that my GH4 does? Or are you saying that it has the tilt, but it's not an issue for you and you don't notice it when the camera is facing you?

Sorry if I'm being nitpicky here gang. Just want to make sure I don't need to send this thing in for service. I'd rather do it now, than have the screen snap off or something and have support blame it on me. Anyone with a GH4 have a direct comparison?