Sony Xperia 1IV - A Masterclass in Filmmaking

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
56 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

I´d rather buy a GX85 for 200USD and for the my smartphone needs a used Samsung 2017 or 2018 phone for 50USD. Saves me 1000USD for a used GH5 or a XT4 or if lucky a used S5. 🙂 A Masterclass it is not and neither is there anything about Filmmaking as such with a capitol F.:)

Hahah - the types of egos and personalities one comes across on this board are beyond wild.  

Just now, projectwoofer said:

I don't get what ego has to do with this and how "wild" is the personality of someone with a potentially different opinion or needs than yours?

🙂 A Masterclass it is not and neither is there anything about Filmmaking as such with a capitol F.:)

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

🙂 A Masterclass it is not and neither is there anything about Filmmaking as such with a capitol F.:)

It is literally not a "Masterclass" though is it ? Not even the creator of it is claiming it as such.

So saying it isn't a "Masterclass" is nothing to do with ego, its just about reading the actual title of the video that you linked.

"Sony Xperia 1 IV - A Filmmaking Masterpiece?"

• Super Members

For what its worth, I completely agree with @PannySVHS point about alternative ways to use the expenditure than on that particular phone.

It is €1400 and that amount could be used in many different ways to acquire film making equipment and still leave enough over to buy a perfectly functioning phone.

Again, thats not ego, its just counting.

Well, I apologize to you, if I came across disrespectful. That was not my intention. I just have my own opinion regarding the video and the product it is about, as well as about the suggestion of a masterclass. As my fellow posters, I have a need and want for treating people with respect. As they both already explained very effecitvely and truthfully in my view, opinions are just different and arguments underlining just as well. If other opinions sometimes are very unexpected in referrence to ones own opinion, it is not meant to be unrespectful towards the poster. And it is not a masterclass with capital M imho. 🙂 cheers and kind regards

What he is trying in a polite way to tell you is that equipment doesn't make much difference, skill and desire do.

Marty is one of the best people on here producing videos with equipment most people would toss in their bottom drawer. Mattias Burling is another one of here that is great with not-so-great stuff. Talent not tools make it happen.

I get it! I’m just saying - I didn’t make the title! It’s the title of the video. I find you guys to be so knowledgeable and always love to read your takes. 

I am curious, you noted you’d rather have a Panasonic hybrid than this cell - but in the other thread regarding shooting raw on a cell you seemed to find value. What, in your view, is the separation?

I have a Sony Xperia Pro-I and this new phone is pretty much the same except it has a real zoom lens instead of the 1" type mine has. So yeah I bought it because as a phone you always have it with you.

But sure a Panasonic hybrid is going to be better at most things over the phone, but how often do you have it with you. And don't think these new phones aren't pretty good at low light, because no MFT camera is really very good at low light either. I have a Olympus EM1 mk II and 1600 ISO is about as low as you dare go on it. That is not a lot to write home to mother about either. But in decent to good light it has magic in it both photo and video. I bought it years ago for birding, they have great AF compared to a Panasonic camera. I have had nothing that is really better at doing wildlife since. Well maybe my 1DC but it is heavy as heck to carry.

• Super Members
37 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

I’m just saying - I didn’t make the title! It’s the title of the video.

Again, its not the title of the video though is it?

It is you that has titled the thread as it being a masterclass and that is what was being responded to.

The reality is that the actual video you have put up is asking if the phone is a masterpiece.

"Sony Xperia 1IV - A Masterclass in Filmmaking" and "Sony Xperia 1 IV - A Filmmaking Masterpiece?" are very different things.

Although, the answer to the statement in the thread title and the question posed in the actual video are both "absolutely not" in my opinion.

• Super Members
37 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

I am curious, you noted you’d rather have a Panasonic hybrid than this cell - but in the other thread regarding shooting raw on a cell you seemed to find value. What, in your view, is the separation?

You don't have to hand over €1400 to shoot raw on a phone would be the difference.

There may well be value in it on a €300 phone but when you are having to hand over €1400 to do it then the proposition changes completely.

Tip here, Sony Phones are Not, I repeat, Not good at working with Motion Pro. I have no clue why, I guess sensor architecture??, but it does work at times and at times it doesn't. So not the best phone for DNG Raw video. They do work great for DNG Raw Photos..

When you open the app a warning comes up stating Sony phones are not really compatible.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Again, its not the title of the video though is it?

It is you that has titled the thread as it being a masterclass and that is what was being responded to.

The reality is that the actual video you have put up is asking if the phone is a masterpiece.

"Sony Xperia 1IV - A Masterclass in Filmmaking" and "Sony Xperia 1 IV - A Filmmaking Masterpiece?" are very different things.

Although, the answer to the statement in the thread title and the question posed in the actual video are both "absolutely not" in my opinion.

Correct - this was as typo; not meant to be my commentary

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Tip here, Sony Phones are Not, I repeat, Not good at working with Motion Pro.

That is fascinating, why do you think that is?

45 minutes ago, sanveer said:

For a phone apparently made for cinematic video, shouldn't it atleast contain all the classical zoom ranges used for fimmmaking, to begin with? 

That seems fair - I do like the image they've captured and created here though with the available ranges.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Marty is one of the

Holy cow, Don, dear friend! I am blushing, seriously! You should see the stuff I don´t show, which for a good reason.:) Last project I did was with a S1 and a FS700 internal, the musicvideo before that with a GH5 and a S1 a BCam. So these cameras are not too shabby, too good for the dumpster for sure. 😄 I will post the FS700/S1 clip soon. I think they matched perfectly. The internal 8bit 420 image and codec of the FS700 are not shabby neither. I had tested the internal FS700 on two puny money jobs before, so I knew it was going to do the job.