Sony FX3 vs. Canon R6 for Video

SRV1981

On 6/5/2022 at 4:42 PM, Gregormannschaft said:

The S1 can also be found for close to 1100 to 1200 versus 4600€ for the FX3. You can’t beat the S series for bang for buck.

Here are a couple of videos a friend and I shot last year on the S5 and S1:

This looks great as well! May I ask what drew you to Panasonic vs Sony and canon? Does it simply come down to AF as to why more sales go to the latter ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
41 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Based on this gentleman’s view (I assume from large productions with capacity for lighting and multiple post production folks) - why do you feel there’s a whole forum here with frequent discussion about raw, log, s35 vs ff, s1 vs c70 noise, cell phones etc? None of which come from me. Curious 

I was going to leave my thoughts under the video but decided not to. While Steve's approach makes sense on a big budget film with the best of the best cameras maybe when comparing 35mm film to an ARRI Alexa to a Sony Venice. But I do think the camera and the immediate image it captures is important for most people.

32 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

I was going to leave my thoughts under the video but decided not to. While Steve's approach makes sense on a big budget film with the best of the best cameras maybe when comparing 35mm film to an ARRI Alexa to a Sony Venice. But I do think the camera and the immediate image it captures is important for most people.

I’m okay with polite disagreement. That said, I do feel closest to this view on the subject.  With a one person crew on vacation or a mini-doc many items are sometimes not viable and the better the image off the sensor the less that needs to be done post - or at least the easier it is to get an image you’re content with. 

9 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

I’m okay with polite disagreement. That said, I do feel closest to this view on the subject.  With a one person crew on vacation or a mini-doc many items are sometimes not viable and the better the image off the sensor the less that needs to be done post - or at least the easier it is to get an image you’re content with. 

My view as an independent film DP and editor is that I choose the camera that is easiest to get a nice image with. I am not a colorist and whatever I am working on can rarely afford a colorist. The camera that I can simply do my best with on production and in post simply apply a lut with minimal corrections, is the one I go for. Right now that would be ARRI or RED. Blackmagic is also a viable solution as you can easily correct for WB, even though the image isn't as nice out of camera.

16 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

This looks great as well! May I ask what drew you to Panasonic vs Sony and canon? Does it simply come down to AF as to why more sales go to the latter ?

I was looking for a B-cam to my C200, and didn't like any of the Canon offerings. In the end, I think the S5 footage beat out the C200 raw in a lot of circumstances and was definitely easier to work with in post (the C200 raw needs a lot of noise reduction and has huge file sizes).

In terms of image, I think the S line cameras edge out the Sony and Canon cameras, but it's very close. To be honest, I've been thinking of switching to all Sony as I find myself wishing I had reliable AF on a lot of recent shoots. That's a very expensive switch though so I'm dragging my heels on actually following through.

In the end, as others have said, all this gear talk is pretty useless. You can do pretty much anything with any modern camera. All you're really paying for with upgrading is improving your workflow and easing your shooting experience.

1 hour ago, Gregormannschaft said:

In the end, as others have said, all this gear talk is pretty useless. You can do pretty much anything with any modern camera. All you're really paying for with upgrading is improving your workflow and easing your shooting experience.

Absolutely.  Camera discussions mostly ignore the broader workflow, which is a shame.

1 hour ago, Gregormannschaft said:

I was looking for a B-cam to my C200, and didn't like any of the Canon offerings. In the end, I think the S5 footage beat out the C200 raw in a lot of circumstances and was definitely easier to work with in post (the C200 raw needs a lot of noise reduction and has huge file sizes).

In terms of image, I think the S line cameras edge out the Sony and Canon cameras, but it's very close. To be honest, I've been thinking of switching to all Sony as I find myself wishing I had reliable AF on a lot of recent shoots. That's a very expensive switch though so I'm dragging my heels on actually following through.

In a nutshell, that is what I'm trying to do based on my own unique circumstances. thanks for the feedback!