Sony FX3 vs. Canon R6 for Video

SRV1981

Doing some snooping and loving the look of the FX3.  I've not had the best of time trying to use the R6 as a run/gun video camera and I can't say the highlight roll-off looks cinematic.  I feel like the FX3 can look similar to the c70 with SLog3.  I am consider getting rid of the R6 and getting the FX6 for video and a used x100v for photo.  Any thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Really nice camera but for that kind of money you can buy a Canon R5 and they are pretty damn nice also. I think they have sort of figured out the overheating stuff, but could be wrong. 

Sony's new stuff is pretty damn good color science wise. They are using the Venice CS in all their new stuff. Nothing wrong with that. 

I would take other people's words that have used this kind of stuff over mine. I am just going by the web more than using the stuff.

FX3 is a bit of an odd camera to me. 

If you're professional user, then for "only" two grand more you get the vastly better FX6! And only weighs 250gm more, and is barely bigger. 

It is just a complete no brainer, get the FX6!! (once you average it out per shoot, if you use it for a few years, then it is only costing  you pennies extra)

If you're not shooting for work, not getting paid, then it makes sense to go for the cheaper option. But then why not go even cheaper and save $500 with the a7Smk3?? You'll gain an EVF, and your trade off is a small risk of overheating (not a big deal on a non-professional shoot). 

Although, I would argue even spending $3.5K on an a7Smk3 is kinda crazy for a nonpro.... and should get say a GH6/X-H2S/X-T4/S5/Z6/P4K/E2/etc instead! But hey, people spend all sorts of silly money on their hobbies.

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

FX3 is a bit of an odd camera to me. 

If you're professional user, then for "only" two grand more you get the vastly better FX6! And only weighs 250gm more, and is barely bigger. 

It is just a complete no brainer, get the FX6!! (once you average it out per shoot, if you use it for a few years, then it is only costing  you pennies extra)

If you're not shooting for work, not getting paid, then it makes sense to go for the cheaper option. But then why not go even cheaper and save $500 with the a7Smk3?? You'll gain an EVF, and your trade off is a small risk of overheating (not a big deal on a non-professional shoot). 

Although, I would argue even spending $3.5K on an a7Smk3 is kinda crazy for a nonpro.... and should get say a GH6/X-H2S/X-T4/S5/Z6/P4K/E2/etc instead! But hey, people spend all sorts of silly money on their hobbies.

I’m finding the image very video like on the R6 and wish it had clog2. It seems that slog3 gives a flatter profile and easier to create highlight rolloff in post ?

watching clips of Fuji it just looks like video and same with gh6. I’ve seen the best images from c70, r5c, and fx3 - do you disagree ?

1 hour ago, SRV1981 said:

watching clips of Fuji it just looks like video and same with gh6. I’ve seen the best images from c70, r5c, and fx3 - do you disagree ?

Nah, if you get the same production, putting in the same efforts/skill/manpower, then the X-H2S / GH6 / S1H is going to look just as good / better than a R5C/FX3/etc would look. 

Yep, I’m pretty sure we hit the baseline for a great image several years ago. Pretty much now as long as the camera meets a certain threshold than all these modern cameras have comparable images; their differences that people fuss over are very minor. Here is an example. My nearly 4 year old Nikon Z6 (I know I spam the forum about that camera) puts out a nice log image with good dynamic range. Basically a lot of what is good about a modern full frame image. Something like a Panasonic S1 or a Sony FX3 will have a “better” image, though the difference is small enough to not be extremely important in the grand scheme. Any modern camera can look amazing. 

33 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Nah, if you get the same production, putting in the same efforts/skill/manpower, then the X-H2S / GH6 / S1H is going to look just as good / better than a R5C/FX3/etc would look. 

24 minutes ago, FHDcrew said:

Yep, I’m pretty sure we hit the baseline for a great image several years ago. Pretty much now as long as the camera meets a certain threshold than all these modern cameras have comparable images; their differences that people fuss over are very minor. Here is an example. My nearly 4 year old Nikon Z6 (I know I spam the forum about that camera) puts out a nice log image with good dynamic range. Basically a lot of what is good about a modern full frame image. Something like a Panasonic S1 or a Sony FX3 will have a “better” image, though the difference is small enough to not be extremely important in the grand scheme. Any modern camera can look amazing. 

I struggle with this - so much of what I see from those cameras (GH6/S5, etc.) looks like video to me and what I am seeing on a C70/FX3 looks more cinema-like.

12 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

so much of what I see from those cameras (GH6/S5, etc.) looks like video to me and what I am seeing on a C70/FX3 looks more cinema-like.

It's partly because, on average, the people using the expensive cams are "better" at everything involved in making an image than those using the cheaper ones.

When I was starting out with still photography about 15 years ago I assumed that top of the line Canon cameras (1d, 5d) had image quality that was streets ahead of the bottom of the range (Rebels). While they were slightly better, of course, the real difference was due to the fact that I was looking at the work of professional users versus hobbyists.

Another good example is to compare Olan Collardy's marketing video for the GH6 versus the BTS vid, also shot on the GH6. One looks great and the other looks meh. Same camera, different users.

Like I told you in my PM last night:

You seem a little all over the place with what camera system to chose. 

R5C/R6/C70/A7S3/FX3/FUJI.. There is no magic "cinematic" camera out there. 

Thing is all latest gen camera bodies will do a good job, but it's really the operator and color grading that will be the decisive factor for making things look filmic.. or not.

My advice to you is, again, to learn how to properly shoot/expose in LOG and learn how to grade with the help of some LUTs you enjoy. Nothing will look truly cinematic SOOC.

Also more important than camera body is probably lens choice. This can really go long ways to improving IQ. Consider that also when you're planning camera system switching or you might just end up chasing your tail.

Too many people focus on camera body and not enough on lens, lighting, filters and color grading / pp skills. 

Sounds like I will be shooting several clips this week in Clog 3 and trying to use resolve to grade using tutorials.  I do like the idea of having a separate video camera and photography camera.

I really like the stealth and portability of the Fuji x100v for photography and would like to have a dedicated camera for video.  I guess I'm questioning whether or not the R6 is the right tool for that.

Honestly, I don’t understand why you even feel limited by the Canon R6. The image is beautiful and the camera is extremely convenient. Don’t fall into the trap of “more buy = more gooder vidyos”. The stuff I shoot on my Nikon Z6 looks much better than the Panasonic G7 I started with, but a big part of that is that I’ve gotten much more real world experience and practice than when I first started out. Yes the camera helped, but what helps even more and is NECESSARY to truly benefit from a camera upgrade is to have enough knowledge and experience to be able to bend and twist the tools to your use. And 1-2 years from now, if I am still using my Z6 my footage will look even better. It’s so easy to get into the trap of needing that next “thing” to get a cinematic image. It’s really all down to you. Can you light well?  I bought a large parabolic softbox thinking it would instantly improve my videos. Well I really underestimated the fact that I had to really PRACTICE with the softbox. It didn’t inherently make my videos better, it’s been me trying to figure out how to use it. I’m just now getting close to an “okay” result with my lighting setup. And there are people online that get better results than me, even though they are using even smaller parabolic softboxes that are technically less flattering. 

the point is, stop worrying about your gear not being good enough. Learn and practice as much as you can. Be patient. It’s taken me over a full year just to get decent color grading results from my log profile. Nothing wrong with the camera, it’s just i lacked experience and still have much to learn. 

If you are struggling to get a good image out of a Canon R6, you sure will struggle to do the same on basically any other modern hybrid. You still have to be good at the same stuff, lighting, grading, composition, things like that. Soak that info like a sponge and stop reading the camera forum debates. It’s a waste of time. 

If you are struggling to get a good image out of a Canon R6, you sure will struggle to do the same on basically any other modern hybrid. You still have to be good at the same stuff, lighting, grading, composition, things like that. Soak that info like a sponge and stop reading the camera forum debates. It’s a waste of time. 

3 minutes ago, FHDcrew said:

I saw the video example you are referring to. That’s all talent and styled grading. Your R6 can look great, just like that. Don’t think it’s just the camera, 

any resources you recommend to learn to grade like that?