Newbie saying hello and looking for 'Entry Level' Lens

Leighton

Hi All,

I thought I'd better introduce myself to everyone.  You all seem a mostly friendly bunch here!

I will try not to bore you too much with my background.....

My name is Leighton and I'm from the UK (West Midlands).

I have had an mild obsession Photography for around 11 years, and 'Videography' for around 4-5 years now.

I'm not a professional Photographer or Filmmaker, having only done any real work on a few local projects such as multi-cam theatre productions, dance shows and the odd promotional video for local businesses.

Currently I use a canon 5D (MKII) and a variety of different Prime lenses (nothing too spectactular from 50mm up to 300mm - yes prime!) for both Photography and Videography projects.

I like tinkering with non-standard ways of using my equipment - my last project was an 8mm Cine to HD convertor (

).

However, recently, not having done much in the way of Video projects, I started looking at new ways I can capture video, and came across anamorphic lenses.

I love the look created by these lenses, and have seen a few tutorials on how to make my footage 'Look' anamorphic, however I really don't think it compares to the real thing - at least from the results I've seen.

All googling lead me to here, where I found the Anamorphic Guide, which I have purchased, read, and hopefully understood now.

I've also enquired via PM to a couple of guys on here regarding Lenses for sale, and I have to admit I was very shocked at how much they go for!

I'd love to be able to justify spending 000's on one of the top lenses, but as I don't do this kind of thing for a living, I not ever likely to re-coup the cost.

So really, the question I'm putting out there to you experts is, is there an 'entry-level', moderately priced, moderate quality lens make or model that exists, that one of you kind people could point towards please?

Best regards,

Leighton

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would recommend the Kowa Prominar 16h. It is small, can handle wider taking lenses and is one of the best optical performers out there. Price ranges can vary but you can get a good deal if you keep an eye on ebay. It is dual focus but that will be the case with any lens unless you go high end. The SLR Magic is also an option that is not dual focus but it is on the expensive side and the 1.33x eliminates it for me.

take your time and try to find a sankor 16c or sankor 16f or a kowa prominar 16s all small and nice optics.
try to buy at auction on ebay rather than buy it now if you are on a tight budget.

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for the lens recommendations and buying advice. Very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Leighton

I would recommend the Kowa Prominar 16h. It is small, can handle wider taking lenses and is one of the best optical performers out there. Price ranges can vary but you can get a good deal if you keep an eye on ebay. It is dual focus but that will be the case with any lens unless you go high end. The SLR Magic is also an option that is not dual focus but it is on the expensive side and the 1.33x eliminates it for me.

Hi dhessel,

Thanks for the info and lens recommendations and advice. I'm inclined to agree with you. From what I've been reading (and seeing some examples), the 1.33x is less preferable.

Here are some that might go cheap on ebay, you'll need clamps to fit them to a taking lens - but they aren't that expensive.

This one is worth keeping an eye on, as a similar one just went for £150 (its not a rare Gold coating, as advertised in the listing):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Iscorama-Centavision-anamorphic-cinemascope-lens-like-kowa-lomo-anamorphot-/251523271002?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item3a8ff4895a

This is an Excellent fixed focus (@4m) lens, v.sharp (one of the sharpest i've ever owned) & all you'll need is a few cheap diopters to get closer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anamorphic-Lens-ISCORAMA-Set-Boxed-Complete-/151294971187?pt=UK_Photography_Projection_Lenses&hash=item2339e20d33

This is quite good as well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Sankor-Anamorphic-16-D-Lens-/331190597314?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item4d1c7f76c2

Here are some that might go cheap on ebay, you'll need clamps to fit them to a taking lens - but they aren't that expensive.

This one is worth keeping an eye on, as a similar one just went for £150 (its not a rare Gold coating, as advertised in the listing):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Iscorama-Centavision-anamorphic-cinemascope-lens-like-kowa-lomo-anamorphot-/251523271002?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item3a8ff4895a

This is an Excellent fixed focus (@4m) lens, v.sharp (one of the sharpest i've ever owned) & all you'll need is a few cheap diopters to get closer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anamorphic-Lens-ISCORAMA-Set-Boxed-Complete-/151294971187?pt=UK_Photography_Projection_Lenses&hash=item2339e20d33

This is quite good as well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Sankor-Anamorphic-16-D-Lens-/331190597314?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item4d1c7f76c2

Hi Bioskop,

Thanks for the links.  Regarding the Fixed focus Iscorama set (@4m), does that mean it will only focus at 4m or is that just the minimum focus distance (which can be rectified by diopters).

I don't suppose you can point me at a recommended clamp and diopters can you?

Hi Bioskop,

Thanks for the links.  Regarding the Fixed focus Iscorama set (@4m), does that mean it will only focus at 4m or is that just the minimum focus distance (which can be rectified by diopters).

I don't suppose you can point me at a recommended clamp and diopters can you?

This is a tiny x2 anamorphic & really really good quality - Here's a test done with this lens in comparison to other ones:

>

Fixed focus is exactly as it sounds, stuck at 4m - so you set your taking lens to 4m as well.

The diopters will allow you to get closer to a subject.

I think if you stop down the taking lens then you can focus further than 4m (i'll check).

Because the glass in this anamorphic is so good any diopters will do (cheap ones if you're skint) - there is a thread on here giving you all sorts of options/prices.

>

Clamps, as you're in the UK you should get them from REDSTAN as they are the best - you'll need a Front clamp (to attach the filters) & a Back Clamp (to attach to a taking lens).

If you let him know what you've got he'll send you the right things.

http://www.redstan.com/

Leighton - I have an Iscomorphot 16/2x lens with Redstan clamp for sale if you are interested. It is the focusable version of the fixed 4m iscorama set that Bioskop pointed to. So It will still be a duel focus setup (requires taking lens). But as Bioskop rightly says - they are very sharp and give a lovely look. If you are on full frame, anything above 85mm will work fine. PM me if interested.

This is a tiny x2 anamorphic & really really good quality - Here's a test done with this lens in comparison to other ones:

>

Fixed focus is exactly as it sounds, stuck at 4m - so you set your taking lens to 4m as well.

The diopters will allow you to get closer to a subject.

I think if you stop down the taking lens then you can focus further than 4m (i'll check).

Because the glass in this anamorphic is so good any diopters will do (cheap ones if you're skint) - there is a thread on here giving you all sorts of options/prices.

>

Clamps, as you're in the UK you should get them from REDSTAN as they are the best - you'll need a Front clamp (to attach the filters) & a Back Clamp (to attach to a taking lens).

If you let him know what you've got he'll send you the right things.

http://www.redstan.com/

Hi Bioskop,

Fantastic, thanks for the detailed reply and the links, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly... Don't sell yourself short!!!!!

If you are working steadily, doing theatre, multi-cam and dance, you are doing better than a lot of people!  This is my busiest weekend in forever and I'm doing three dance pieces, and two other shoots.  A dance concert was my first job ever and it's still keeping the lights on!

My honest advice would be.... dum dum dum...

Make sure your traditional kit is in order before you look at anamorphics.  Make sure you have a good wide, and a good fifty (Primes, you are right!  They are for ballers only!)  A tokina 11-16, a 24/28mm prime and a 50mm prime should let you shoot almost anything (nikon, canon, zeiss leica...).  There is also an old nikon 35-70 2.8 which is dirt cheep if you need a zoom for run-and-gun.

Then, when that is all in order and you want an anamorphic... get a 35mm lomo squarefront.  I know I am in the minority opinion here....  but....  you are going to spend 500-800 on a good adapter or projection lens.  The new SLR magic adapter is 900 (there abouts...) and none of the adapters can rack focus.  Meanwhile a 35mm squarefront anamorphic will cost you between 1400 - 2000 for an oct-18 mount lens.  I spent 1650 and not that long ago.

This point is delicate, but... I'm going to be honest now about what I see in the market...  The sankor's have a cool look, and for various pet projects they can be useful and fun... but you are never going to recoup your expense.  You will be begging friends to rig lights and act and that is AWESOME but you will not be able to refund the expense on that piece of equipment through rentals. Period.

My personal -- loaded with grains of salt, individual perspective -- would be to spend an extra 600-1000 dollars and get a professional cinema lens that will go up in price FOREVER.  And when you add in the cost of clamps/ND filters/diopters (though, diopters will be needed with proper anamorphics as well) the margin of expense grows thinner.

BUT the beauty of a 35mm OCT-18 anamorphic is that not only will you get a rackable 35mm cinema lens, but you will also be able to detach the front element, mount it to rails, and align your camera with a 24, 50, 90, 100mm prime lens and get the full range of focal lengths just as you would with a Sankor adapter.  But should you decide to proceed with your set you already have the first piece in your anamorphic set.  And in a set of anamorphic lenses, the 35mm or 40mm will be the workhorse, even if you have five lenses you'll still spend half your time with your 35 or 40. Don't believe me? Watch "Rushmore," I don't think they ever took the 40m off!  That will be your moneymaker, your honeyhouse, your joi'de beeve (don't speak french :)

Other poeple can (and will) disagree with me.  But before you make a decision, remember, the lomo lens flare is CLASSIC CLASSIC CLASSIC!  If you don't believe me, watch the "Guardians of the Galaxy" teaser and tell me where you've seen that (CG) lens flare before... Hmm... must'a been somewhere....

The downside is that Lomo's are rare, and it will take some time to nab one for a decent price.  I've been watching the web carefully for about 18 months and have happily found a 35mm and an 80mm.  If you're in a rush it might not be the right way to go, but I am VERY happy with the path I've taken!

Cheers!  And mostly importantly shoot something cool!  The artist will always be more important than the lens! And all my love to all the ana shooters!

^

Agreed. If you're serious about shooting more than cat and tree videos, make sure the rest of your kit is in order before even attempting to take on anamorphic. I finally shot my first paid anamorphic project ever (a commercial), after messing around with anamorphic glass for 3 years and never having the guts to actually use it under pressures of paid work.

So there really isn't an anamorphic "entry level"- it's all advanced and takes time and experiments to find the lenses that'll work best for you.

Hi guys,

Thanks all for your honest and sometimes frank advice!

I have now purchased an Iscomorphot 16/2x lens with Redstan clamp for a good price from an EosHD member and I'm really happy with it.

I've done a few 'test' shoots (you know, of Cats and trees :) ) and I'm starting to get the hang of alignment, and dual focus, although I've already blown one 'shoot' of a family occasion as I had the alignment out.  It's all a great learning experience nonetheless.

Next up I am looking into a nice taking lens.  I am using a Canon EF 85mm F1.8 at the moment, so essentially, I'm losing a lot of the 'look' of anamorphic.  The image is way too sharp and flares are really dulled down.

I do have in my possession a Jupiter 9 85mm, however its the Pentax Kiev mount and looks to be unusable unless I fancy doing some major work on it with a hacksaw, some glue and a canon macro extension tube as I saw someone else has done after some Googling. ;)

Although I was surprised to find that I still have vignetting on my Canon 85mm.  It's not terrible, but it's visible.  I'm trying an old 135mm prime lens next as I now have the correct step down ring for the clamp to attach to.  Hopefully that should remove the vignetting at a cost of increased focal length.

There's an Olympus Zuiko 100mm f2.8 that I have been using as a taking lens for anamorphics on my 5Diii. It's the smallest (i.e. shortest) lens in that range that I could find and I like that it lets me keep my anamorphic rig small -- it is even smaller than most 85mm lenses that I have seen. It has a non-rotating front and a small filter size, so it's a good match for anamorphics. Doesn't cost too much either.

Here's a little more info on it: http://omexperience.wordpress.com/lenses/zuiko-100mm-f2-8/

There's an Olympus Zuiko 100mm f2.8 that I have been using as a taking lens for anamorphics on my 5Diii. It's the smallest (i.e. shortest) lens in that range that I could find and I like that it lets me keep my anamorphic rig small -- it is even smaller than most 85mm lenses that I have seen. It has a non-rotating front and a small filter size, so it's a good match for anamorphics. Doesn't cost too much either.

Here's a little more info on it: http://omexperience.wordpress.com/lenses/zuiko-100mm-f2-8/

Thanks QHR.

I note that there are various models - do the Single coated versions flare well?

I don't suppose you could point me at any footage you have taken?