OpenGate Video is the future?

ntblowz

Now that the company I work want most videos in 16:9 (youtube). 9:16 (tiktok), 4:5 (IG) format, I m begining the think M43 ratio size is actually the best aspect ratio for this kind of requirement, or is 3:2 from ASP-C/FF a better ratio?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd suggest that you also take into account resolution of the various platforms and what resolutions you'll want to deliver in.

For example, it seems that snapchat might be the most extreme vertically:

social-media-cover.jpg

...but if it only requires a very low resolution then you can get away with a wider sensor read-out and still oversample.

Also take into account sensor resolution.  An 8K 16:9 would give more resolution than a 4K 3:2.

As is almost always the best advice - clearly define what it is that you want to end up with and then work backwards from there.

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not just Panasonic doing open gate now for mirrorless!

The newly announced Fujfilm X-H2S has open gate, I'll be better more Fujifilm cameras such as the X-T5 will get open gate as well. 

Affordable anamorphics are really starting to arrive too, so it makes sense that this would be a new "standard" feature set for mirrorless cameras.

I don’t get why sensors are not 1:1 seems only a relic of the film era…..

Insta360 GO is 1:1 and is very handy as you can reframe in all the aspects that you need.

8K helps but a true 1:1 8k x 8k would be amazing even 6k 6k would be great

3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I don’t get why sensors are not 1:1 seems only a relic of the film era…..

Insta360 GO is 1:1 and is very handy as you can reframe in all the aspects that you need.

8K helps but a true 1:1 8k x 8k would be amazing even 6k 6k would be great

Big sensors are expensive. It would be waisting a lot of valuable transistor budget on something not many ppl need. It would drive the end product price up even more. Its much easier to do on smaller sensors like action cams, 360 cams, etc.. 

14 hours ago, kye said:

Affordable anamorphics are really starting to arrive too, so it makes sense that this would be a new "standard" feature set for mirrorless cameras.

Even when shooting with spherical lenses, open gate is handy for all those social media marketing shoots.