Fuji X-H2S

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, MoonCannon said:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or my settings worked around the old firmware and need to change, but I find the 3.0 update to be a huge step backwards in the AF...

Just to follow up, in case anyone is reading.

Turns out it was definitely more my settings (which I had jiggered oddly to work around the old firmware). Setting everything back to stock then selecting continuous, area, sensitivity at 0, and speed at -4 and I'm quite happy with the results for moving images. Nice update!

1 hour ago, MoonCannon said:

Just to follow up, in case anyone is reading.

Turns out it was definitely more my settings (which I had jiggered oddly to work around the old firmware). Setting everything back to stock then selecting continuous, area, sensitivity at 0, and speed at -4 and I'm quite happy with the results for moving images. Nice update!

Good to hear. I read your initial post on the 3.0 update and I was 🤷‍♂️ lost because from what I can tell with the small amount of time I've had to shoot anything since updating I definitely see improvement and I was pretty cool with the AF before the update.

Yeah from all the reports online, it seems like the 3.0 FW makes a substantial difference in video AF. A lot of users are claiming it is now finally on par with Canon/Sony. Interested to hear what owners here have to report. Is it really super sticky and no more pulsating/hunting? When multiple faces are on screen, no more hesitating?

To anyone who is interested in recording ProRes RAW with the X-H2s, I just got confirmation from Fuji that they convert X-Trans to Bayer in the camera, as I suspected. Because the two patterns are different, you have to calculate what's not there. So let's say at a given pixel X-Trans stores red but for Bayer we need blue. I asked Fuji if they interpolate this blue using the surrounding blue values in the X-Trans pattern or they just copy the value of a blue neighboring pixel. The latter is faster but more prone to artifacts. Unfortunately I received an one-liner that this is proprietary info.
I'll know more when I test this out myself, I'll receive a Ninja V+ in the following days.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Django:

I have seen some of these reports as well, but there are very few.  I own a X-H2S using version 2.1.  Bird subject detect works against uncomplicated backgrounds.  But, if there is a clear shot of a bird in a tree (think of bird in front of a tree), then subject detect is basically worthless.  I am reluctant to change firmware because with firmware 2.1 the X-H2S plays well with a DJI RS2 gimbal for no improvement.

Has anyone tested X-H2S/Firmware 3.0 video autofocus using subject detect for birds with complicated backgrounds  Has Fuji made any subject detect autofocus improvements with version 3.0 for the above described situation?

Don 

Hi All:

I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to firmware version 3.0.  I am delighted to report that communications with the RS2 did not change as a result of this firmware.

As for for video auto focus, I took 8 clips at 60 FPS of ring tail doves against trees denuded of leaves.  Of these 8 clips, only 1 was out of focus.  Balance were sharp.

I also took 4 clips at 120 FPS.  Three of them were of ring tail doves against the same denuded trees.  All three clips were in-focus.  The fourth clip was of grackle in the same de-nuded trees.  Because there was more contrast between the bird and trees I expected that this clip would remain in focus.  It did not.  That was a disappointment.

More testing is required.  But my first impression was the video autofocus for version 3.0 is an improvement over 2.1.  However, FujiFilm still needs to continue to make improvements.  I look forward to the next update.

Don

15 hours ago, dgbarar said:

Hi All:

I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to firmware version 3.0.  I am delighted to report that communications with the RS2 did not change as a result of this firmware.

As for for video auto focus, I took 8 clips at 60 FPS of ring tail doves against trees denuded of leaves.  Of these 8 clips, only 1 was out of focus.  Balance were sharp.

I also took 4 clips at 120 FPS.  Three of them were of ring tail doves against the same denuded trees.  All three clips were in-focus.  The fourth clip was of grackle in the same de-nuded trees.  Because there was more contrast between the bird and trees I expected that this clip would remain in focus.  It did not.  That was a disappointment.

More testing is required.  But my first impression was the video autofocus for version 3.0 is an improvement over 2.1.  However, FujiFilm still needs to continue to make improvements.  I look forward to the next update.

Don

Still don't have touch tracking in video, as it have for stills, correct? Video tracking is only for eye/face and AI modes?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone use the X-H2s with a Ninja V Plus? Some of my 6.2K 24fps clips are stuttering badly, only every second frame is different, so it's basically 12fps. It happens and goes away by random camera actions. So if it's good and you don't touch the body it stays good. But even refocusing can make it bad. The camera is in boost mode, I hit recording on the body as well, newest firmware everywhere. The cable I'm using is HDMI2.1 8K60 certified, should be more than enough. I'm out of ideas really, I hope it's a user error but I fear that it's not.

6 hours ago, Attila Bakos said:

Does anyone use the X-H2s with a Ninja V Plus? Some of my 6.2K 24fps clips are stuttering badly, only every second frame is different, so it's basically 12fps. It happens and goes away by random camera actions. So if it's good and you don't touch the body it stays good. But even refocusing can make it bad. The camera is in boost mode, I hit recording on the body as well, newest firmware everywhere. The cable I'm using is HDMI2.1 8K60 certified, should be more than enough. I'm out of ideas really, I hope it's a user error but I fear that it's not.

I have them both, a X-H2s with two Ninja V+ recorders. Neither Ninja presented any stuttering but both units have a single pixel that is stuck on center of screen in 6.2K any frame rate. This pixel is also on the off loaded footage, but again in 6.2K only. It does not happen when recording 4K of any frame rate. I sent Atomos clips to review and they believe its firmware on their end. Not sure they'll move on it too soon if others aren't reporting it but to me it seems most X-H2s users are using the Ninja V and not the Ninja V+.

12 minutes ago, Chrille said:

There is something about that camera that looks so filmic! I would love to see that film without the youtube compression.

Reason it looks a little funky on YT is the footage was downscaled to FHD to soften it up, then upscaled back to 4K. With a heavy film stock grade in the middle. Kind of a weird process but it does come out filmic!

I do think a lot of people are sleeping on this cam, I think its the most exciting sensor of all 2022/2023 releases. Would love to find some XH2S ProRes footage to test grade..

36 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

I have them both, a X-H2s with two Ninja V+ recorders. Neither Ninja presented any stuttering but both units have a single pixel that is stuck on center of screen in 6.2K any frame rate. This pixel is also on the off loaded footage, but again in 6.2K only. It does not happen when recording 4K of any frame rate. I sent Atomos clips to review and they believe its firmware on their end. Not sure they'll move on it too soon if others aren't reporting it but to me it seems most X-H2s users are using the Ninja V and not the Ninja V+.

Interesting you say that because I have a single pixel in the center of the screen as well, only in 6.2K ProRes RAW, it's not visible in 4.8K. If it's a bad pixel I'm not sure how Atomos could fix that, and why it's there in 6.2K and not in 4.8K. Even 4.8K60 is fine.
Anyway, this is what I'm getting:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m1w9o4LmO85ER9AWg3OFgQnJK1Q9cmMR/view?usp=share_link

In the first half I pressed record on the Fuji, and I got like 12fps. Then I turned recording off and back on, and it was fine after that, as you can see in the second half.

And this is one way to trigger it (download before watching):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G0J2dvH2IS0mZIWlee0DZ5Rf4xvz97IK/view?usp=share_link

But basically any change can trigger it, like tapping on the screen to refocus, it's totally random.

45 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

Thanks but I meant an actual still image from the recorded clip, so that I can check the exact location. 

You're welcome. I will when I can as I am currently away from home. I had that image in my phone from when I first reached out to Atomos support. I did come across a post on Instagram where another guy mentioned the same issue in 6.2K raw. He said the pixel was in the same location as mine going off the image.