Fuji X-H2S

BTM_Pix

16 minutes ago, Django said:

Not even close to being similar price points though.

R5C is twice as expensive, has 50% more rolling shutter, 2 stops less DR, no open gate, no ProRes and no IBIS compared to XH2S.

XH2/XH2S pack a lot of bang for your buck imo.

Yep, two entirely different beasts I think…

Ditto Nikon Z9 which was where I was going and would have gone and been extremely happy and never looked sideways…had any been available.

I think Nikon have really shot themselves in the foot with this, or more likely, so many companies have suffered due to global supply chains.

I made a decision in principal a few weeks back to switch systems because I could not get the one I have to work as I needed it to.

At the time, my best option…and it is still an equally valid and splitting hairs alternative (albeit a slightly different proposition) was a Z9 led approach.

But it’s turned out to be an extremely frustrating option with zero traction, both of which caused me to consider other options after what I thought was a decision made.

Upon reflection now, although the Z9 is a more capable tool, just as the Canon R5c is in many if not most regards, arguably neither are the right tool for me.

R5 over R5c, if only for the IBIS.

2x XH2’s AND an XH2S for 500 more than a single Z9 body. It has to be that ‘no-brainer’ they talk about. For my needs.

And that is what it always comes down to, your specific needs.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

In case you haven't been following rumour mill there is one more video oriented APS-C camera coming: FX30.

So far all we know is:

26MP

4k120p

Same FX3 body

Almost the same FX3 video specs

Announcement in late September

$2500

It basically sounds like an XH2S (Sony) sensor in FX3 body. But no way will Sony give us 6.2K Open Gate. 

Cine EI, LUT support, Sony AF and active cooling might still win me over as it would be the perfect B-cam to my FS7.

Well my XH2 arrives tomorrow. Yay 😀 

Between 11am and 2pm.

I’m leaving 8.30am latest for my last job of the year. Boo 😒 

I preordered with the hope of testing on at least this last real world job, but was resigned over the last few days to it not arriving in time.

Hey ho, would have been good and I’ll just have to run some post-season tests against my S1R’s to see how it stacks up in non-wedding environments.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Well my XH2 arrives tomorrow. Yay 😀 

Between 11am and 2pm.

I’m leaving 8.30am latest for my last job of the year. Boo 😒 

I preordered with the hope of testing on at least this last real world job, but was resigned over the last few days to it not arriving in time.

Hey ho, would have been good and I’ll just have to run some post-season tests against my S1R’s to see how it stacks up in non-wedding environments.

Hard to beat Fuji color out of the box! I'd love to get the XH2 or XH2S but I went with a Sigma for a small gimbal camera instead. 😳

10 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Hard to beat Fuji color out of the box!

It's all a matter of taste of course but I love Fuji colour.

I moved from shooting Natural to Flat on my Panny's but was a big fan of Eterna on the XT3.

Going back to that as my standard but this time around, with a very light Film Convert Nitrate grade.

Also interested in going back to shooting Jpeg and one of the film sims.

I used to to shoot mainly Classic Chrome, but am interested in Classic Neg and Nostalgic Neg, all with some personal in camera tweaks to see if I can achieve a SOOC near finished result.

Along with drastically cutting back my number of jobs (33 this year) and capping at max 20 per annum, I'd like to get my workflow reduced so I can spend a little more time on marketing.

No issues with bookings but I think you need to remain on top of these things regardless and even do a little more than is needed, simply to hold station.

Also, I'd just like a little more life back May-Sep which is something I haven't had much of for the last 20 or so years...

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

It's all a matter of taste of course but I love Fuji colour.

I moved from shooting Natural to Flat on my Panny's but was a big fan of Eterna on the XT3.

Going back to that as my standard but this time around, with a very light Film Convert Nitrate grade.

Also interested in going back to shooting Jpeg and one of the film sims.

I used to to shoot mainly Classic Chrome, but am interested in Classic Neg and Nostalgic Neg, all with some personal in camera tweaks to see if I can achieve a SOOC near finished result.

Along with drastically cutting back my number of jobs (33 this year) and capping at max 20 per annum, I'd like to get my workflow reduced so I can spend a little more time on marketing.

No issues with bookings but I think you need to remain on top of these things regardless and even do a little more than is needed, simply to hold station.

Also, I'd just like a little more life back May-Sep which is something I haven't had much of for the last 20 or so years...

Having great SOOC results is the bomb! I remember when I did some weddings in the past I was shooting mostly RAW, which was a post production nightmare..I was planning to go SOOC just before I quit that business..

33?!? Wow! If you need any help call me, 23 years of experience, lots of equipment and positive attitude, have lived in France before..ha!

33 weddings/couples, spread over 70 days (as most of my events are multi-day coverage. In fact, only 4 single day out of those 33) and all except one single photo only coverage, full photo and video.

Only 11 weddings behind on my editing 🤪 

Thanks for the offer of help but I’m a one man band in house ‘everything’ kind of guy.

One of the reasons I am moving away from L Mount. The quality is arguably marginally higher, but it’s the rest of the equation after 2 years and approx 40 jobs has confirmed I haven’t quite had the right tools for the job.

Just had a long 4 hour drive over to this last 3 day event of the season and have pretty much decided to simplify things further by going all zoom despite being a prime guy at heart.

There’s a fine line between the ‘artistry’ and the logistics of it and I think my tool plan is a good one for me:

XH2 primary stills (but some limited video use) with Tamron 17-70.

XH2S primary video with Fuji 16-55.

XH2S secondary video + gimbal with Fuji 18-55.

Had both of those Fuji lenses previously and they were great. 

Slightly less keen on the 18-55 being variable aperture but I think Sigma are going to be making their 18-50 f2.8 (currently Sony & E Mount) for Fuji so that may be an option…

I am going to Winter with just the XH2 and Tamron and not fully commit until the Spring but right now this Fuji route us my best option.

We’ll see but once I have committed, I’m aiming for 3 years unchanged after 3 highly disruptive and complicated years!

@MrSMWall brands offer solutions these days. For the very first time I believe Fuji offers the complete package.

Zoom lenses really help, my workhorse was the 16-50mm NX for many years. Stabilized and 2-2.8mm, and were using another body (or two) with primes for more "artistic" approach (so I was getting the expected and usual stuff with the zoom and at least a prime for more artistic portraits).

I would give a look at that special 18-120mm video lens they did, and beware of the 17mm wide end that is 26+mm equiv. I found those couple mm at the low end of the zoom very important for all around lenses..I would take a 16mm from a 17mm, but the Tamron is a great performing test, as it seems.

The 10-24mm and the 16-80mm are also interesting for me.

11 edtitings behind is not that bad! Congrats!

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Solution: move to New Zealand! (or anywhere really in the Southern Hemisphere) 

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Just had a long 4 hour drive over to this last 3 day event of the season and have pretty much decided to simplify things further by going all zoom despite being a prime guy at heart.

There’s a fine line between the ‘artistry’ and the logistics of it and I think my tool plan is a good one for me:

XH2 primary stills (but some limited video use) with Tamron 17-70.

XH2S primary video with Fuji 16-55.

XH2S secondary video + gimbal with Fuji 18-55.

Great setup!

If only the FX30 had eND, then I'd love that with a Tamron 17-70

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Solution: move to New Zealand! (or anywhere really in the Southern Hemisphere) 

Great setup!

If only the FX30 had eND, then I'd love that with a Tamron 17-70

Would love to and 20 years ago, I think I would have. My kind of country.

When the FX30 was first rumored it went in the list. I reckon not only would it work, but work well, but the Fuji option just edges it for me on the stills/hybrid side.

The XH2/XH2S obliterate the FX30 when it comes to specs. Fuji don't have a cine line to protect and it shows.

As a hybrid the FX30 plain sucks: no EVF, no mechanical shutter, no drive mode, no stills/video switch.

The one aspect where FX30 out-beats Fuji will be AF. And custom LUT support.

I guess the FX30 form factor with mount holes, active cooling and the included top handle with XLRs can't be neglected either.

I'm really torn as the XH2S is so much more exciting to me but as an FS7 user already invested in Sony glass, the FX30 makes much more sense as a B-cam. But god is it boring, dare I say uninspiring. 

1 hour ago, Django said:

The one aspect where FX30 out-beats Fuji will be AF. And custom LUT support.

The LUT support wasn’t previously of interest to me until I saw a review regarding how it works…and it became more interesting…but still going to carry on shooting my profiles/film sims.

The AF will be of more interest to me because I thought the XT3 was ‘OK’ for my needs and the S5/S1H/S1R I have made work to a level almost comparable.

Pretty sure the XH2 will meet my needs as it can’t be worse than Lumix and though criticise Fuji, just as many praise it, so we’ll see…