Fuji X-H2S

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, D Verco said:

Don't have anything else to say except that camera conspiracies guy is the most annoying person on the internet. I'd like to see him try to make something look good before constantly whinging.

It's his business, man, the guy has another one devoted to vegetables... go figure! Really : D

Wow that was some of the best footage I've seen yet from this camera. Props to the filmmaker.

6.2K Open gate + Speedbooster for FF + vintage glass at 24fps is really a look that I covet/desire!

It's getting harder and harder for me to resist going in on the system.

By the way the XH2 was announced couple days ago in relative silence. It comes in cheaper at $2100 has 45MP stills and has 8K + oversampled 4K with ProRes. The sensor isn't stacked which means XT4 type rolling shutter & AF. And no open-gate either. Still quite interesting for hybrid shooters and an entry price for 8K if that's your thing. For me XH2S remains the target.

1 hour ago, FHDcrew said:

Wow the XH2S DR looks insane

Very similar to S1H in the test footage I got.
But too oversharpened and too much chroma filtering, especially, but not limited to, in darker areas.

With ProRes RAW this camera looks fantastic though. So it's just a processing issue.

I would actually love to upgrade from the X-T4 to the X-H2S (which imho currently is too expensive to jump to) mainly because of how much I’ve grown to dislike the control concept. The retro dials are cool to look at but in the end I’m not utilizing them much.

I found the GH5 or my old Canon 5D III a lot more efficient in their UI when it comes to physical features. Also the implementation of Custom Modes on the X-T4 isn’t good imho because they don’t save enough settings for the video modes.

Biggest pet peeve probably the D pad, I’d rather have a rotating one like mentioned cameras to control exposure compensation instead of the dial on the upper right that I just can’t use proper without taking the camera off my eye.

19 hours ago, Django said:

By the way the XH2 was announced couple days ago in relative silence. It comes in cheaper at $2100 has 45MP stills and has 8K + oversampled 4K with ProRes. The sensor isn't stacked which means XT4 type rolling shutter & AF. And no open-gate either. Still quite interesting for hybrid shooters and an entry price for 8K if that's your thing. For me XH2S remains the target.

It was all over my channels, plus I knew it was coming.

I was surprised at the price…

I didn’t think it would be 500 less but the same, trading larger sensor for speed.

However, it is substantially less at sub 2k and as 3x bodies cost basically the same as 1x Z9 body, it has me thinking…

In short it ticks every single box for me with only one niggle and one question.

The Niggle: Side-hinge flip screen. I would prefer a tilt. Not a deal-breaker but wish they had kept the same format as the XH1 I had and loved as I do that of my current S1H.

The Question: I read or heard (probably misheard) that the 4K 50/60p is cropped but since I have checked and not found any evidence that is the case? Ie, it is a cropped sensor so compared to a full frame sensor there is a 1.5x crop for stills and video but unlike the R7, please tell me there is no additional crop on top of that because that would be a dealbreaker.

Why? One of my criteria switching systems is parity between stills and video because it does my but a not having full frame stills and 1.5 crop on my Panasonic’s.

3 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The Question: I read or heard (probably misheard) that the 4K 50/60p is cropped but since I have checked and not found any evidence that is the case? Ie, it is a cropped sensor so compared to a full frame sensor there is a 1.5x crop for stills and video but unlike the R7, please tell me there is no additional crop on top of that because that would be a dealbreaker.

Why? One of my criteria switching systems is parity between stills and video because it does my but a not having full frame stills and 1.5 crop on my Panasonic’s.

I also heard there was a very slight crop in the 4K60p mode. I think 1.15x or something rather negligible but I can't find the exact info in text. It would be of course an additional crop to the APS-C sensor size. 

No crop with the XH2s, it’s the new XH2 we’re talking about.

I’ve asked a couple of folks who have reviewed one but as of yet, no response.

Dealbreaker for me if there is…

I’m not switching systems for the sake of change or to something/anything that is sideways, but for my needs, a quantifiable step forward,

The rule I am applying is one single compromise because there is always going to be something, but 2 compromises, and it’s a no from me.

The compromise for me with a hybrid system of 3 bodies and 3 lenses with Fuji XH2, is the flip out screen over a tilt.

If there’s a further crop to the 4K 50/60p, that is a second compromise…

Might sound picky to some, but as above, I’m not looking to change anything on a whim and be right, or it isn’t happening!

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

No 4K 120fps is the main dealbreaker to me... we are in 2022 after all ; )

The s model does but the bigger sensor model does not.

Something else I just saw that is quite interesting is with the new model (wish they had given it a letter to identify it!!) is the ability in camera to shoot 2x crop mode...so I guess '4k'?

So if I understand that correctly as I think I do, we could use say the 18mm f1.4 which is around 27mm full frame equivalent focal length as a wide in 8k and then at a press of a button, flip it to something just over '50mm' in 4k.

Obviously, you can crop in post, but I prefer to see my framing in camera at the time rather than move around later.

I still can't find any info whether the 'standard' 4k 50/60p mode is cropped in any way. I hope not...

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

The s model does but the bigger sensor model does not.

Something else I just saw that is quite interesting is with the new model (wish they had given it a letter to identify it!!) is the ability in camera to shoot 2x crop mode...so I guess '4k'?

So if I understand that correctly as I think I do, we could use say the 18mm f1.4 which is around 27mm full frame equivalent focal length as a wide in 8k and then at a press of a button, flip it to something just over '50mm' in 4k.

Obviously, you can crop in post, but I prefer to see my framing in camera at the time rather than move around later.

I still can't find any info whether the 'standard' 4k 50/60p mode is cropped in any way. I hope not...

Yeah there is a crop mode which is something most FF mirrorless have. They call it digital zoom so maybe something similar to Sony's clear zoom.

According to Vistek, 4K60p has indeed a 1.14x crop: https://youtu.be/XLq1Ib3IPgw (5:45)

That's quite negligible to me but hey if its a deal breaker to you then that's that.

Much more of a deal breaker to me is no 4K12Op, the very average XT4 AF & rolling shutter. No 14-bit readout meaning less DR and no open-gate mode.

2 hours ago, Django said:

According to Vistek, 4K60p has indeed a 1.14x crop: https://youtu.be/XLq1Ib3IPgw (5:45)

That's quite negligible to me but hey if its a deal breaker to you then that's that.

Much more of a deal breaker to me is no 4K12Op, the very average XT4 AF & rolling shutter. No 14-bit readout meaning less DR and no open-gate mode.

I could probably live with 1.14x.

I thought I heard one point four, but it must have been 1 point 1 four.

1.4x would be a definite no, but 1.14x, OK, because I tend to crop my films into 2:1 and my pics 3:2, so no biggie.

4k 120p I could use for dancing at weddings, but that would be it and I have never used it before so could live without.

AF with the XT3 I thought was OK and if XT4 is better which it is supposed to be and the XH2 is comparable, that's OK.

Rolling shutter I don't care as I never pan or do anything where it's an issue.

Open gate don't care nor the 14 bit, so all good really.

Bit of a weird one this as other than the 8k video mode, it really is more a stills/hybrid machine whereas the XH2s is a filmmaker/hybrid unit.

I am the former rather than the latter so the XH2 meets more of my needs than the XH2s which I already dismissed.

We all have different requirements so it seems Fuji was smart to make these 2 camera versions.

XH2S stands for speed, both in stills and video with the stacked sensor allowing super fast 14-bit readout.

XH2 stands for resolution, also both in stills (45MP) & video (8K).

So they are both aimed at hybrid shooters imo, XH2S more towards action/sport/wildlife photographers where AF & burst is critical and videographers that want solid AF, low rolling shutter, high frame rate, extra DR and open-gate. And XH2 for hybrid shooters that value high resolution for print, cropping, stab in post, extra detail & 8K stills extraction.

The colour coming out of the XH2 looked better on the Vistek video, but that was only one sample, so…

Same with my S1R’s vs S5/S1H, ie the higher res sensor is MUCH nicer, photo AND video.

Graded, near zero difference but SOOC, nicer.

OK, so I have been mulling it over and I think I am heading back to Fujiland.

L Mount has been great image-wise, but has caused me too many logistical and creative issues, ie, the tools have been getting in the way of the process.

Button pushed on a single XH2 to start and if all OK, another plus as a third body, an XH2s.

Having the latter option in the mix makes sense for my needs and one of my criteria for any future system was/is identical bodies.

Button pushed on a single lens and then as above, all being well, another 3 to follow and my entire L Mount system of 4 bodies and 8 lenses will be off.

I can’t see a better option for my specific use case and my only real compromise is the side-hinge screens.

2 hours ago, Django said:

We all have different requirements so it seems Fuji was smart to make these 2 camera versions.

XH2S stands for speed, both in stills and video with the stacked sensor allowing super fast 14-bit readout.

XH2 stands for resolution, also both in stills (45MP) & video (8K).

So they are both aimed at hybrid shooters imo, XH2S more towards action/sport/wildlife photographers where AF & burst is critical and videographers that want solid AF, low rolling shutter, high frame rate, extra DR and open-gate. And XH2 for hybrid shooters that value high resolution for print, cropping, stab in post, extra detail & 8K stills extraction.

Reason why R5C on 8K 60p side is yet my favorite one : -)