Fuji X-H2S

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just took a quick look at the CineD review. Very nice.

But what I found more interesting was the latest user comment

By a Mr. Burkhart, apparently a professional who owns an Alexa.

https://www.cined.com/fujifilm-x-h2s-lab-test-rolling-shutter-dynamic-range-and-exposure-latitude/

And speaking of Alexa, here is an article which suggests an unknown

3rd party designed the new Alexa 35 sensor:

https://ymcinema.com/2022/07/18/arri-chief-color-scientist-alev-4-wasnt-developed-by-arri/

On 7/22/2022 at 10:57 PM, Jay60p said:

And speaking of Alexa, here is an article which suggests an unknown

3rd party designed the new Alexa 35 sensor:

https://ymcinema.com/2022/07/18/arri-chief-color-scientist-alev-4-wasnt-developed-by-arri/

I'd be a bit careful about interpreting this type of Information - I remember statements from the launch of the Alexa 35 that indicated otherwise.  Most likely everyone was telling the truth (there's unlikely to be a scandal here!) but that everyone was using carefully chosen words.

19 hours ago, Django said:

So nobody here purchased the camera? I'm so close to pulling trigger. With the metabones it seems like a killer hybrid:

I don't know, I've gotten my hopes up too many times the past few years about Fuji's latest and greatest, X-T4 (I've owned all of the X-T series models) was a big disappointment to me, I thought the X-T3 was actually a better camera. And this new one, from the reviews I've read so far, seem to indicate the same culprits- AF that isn't as reliable as Fuji makes it out to be, and stabilization that is jerky and only really useful for static shots.

Also, not really loving anything in particular in the above video.

18 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

I don't know, I've gotten my hopes up too many times the past few years about Fuji's latest and greatest, X-T4 (I've owned all of the X-T series models) was a big disappointment to me, I thought the X-T3 was actually a better camera. And this new one, from the reviews I've read so far, seem to indicate the same culprits- AF that isn't as reliable as Fuji makes it out to be, and stabilization that is jerky and only really useful for static shots.

Also, not really loving anything in particular in the above video.

I hear you, I left the system after XT2 and was hesitant to come back ever since. But I do miss some things like the AA Filterless Xtrans sensor, the film simulations etc. The newer gen lenses also seem to be much better for video AF and you've got third party anamorphic lenses plus metabones smart adapters now too.

What attracts me is the 6.2K Open Gate mode, ProRes, 4K120p and the stacked sensor with ultra low RS. That's all really nice features on a $2.5K body with IBIS. Plus Flog 2 & the film simulations, that could all lean me back towards Fuji. I also just like that it's a different vibe from CaNikon/Sony. Perhaps I'll be the first here to pull the trigger!

21 hours ago, Django said:

So nobody here purchased the camera? I'm so close to pulling trigger.

Considered, especially having come from Fuji from the very beginning with their first mirrorless camera, the OG X100.

Had that in 2011 when it first came out alongside a pair of Nikon D3S's paired with 24-70 and 70-200, all for stills and was using a D7000 for video.

Went all in with the X Pro-1 when that came out and sold all the Nikon gear after 10+ years with them.

Went through them all inc. XE1, XE2, XT1/2/3 and XH1.

I didn't go past XT3 however which is where I finished with them after almost 10 years because they were no longer meeting my needs.

They almost do again now. Almost...

I have made a case as a business proposal for going back to Fuji, but it's not my best option. In fact it's not even my second best option, Canon is, but equal with my third choice, Sony.

Pulled the trigger, but not with Fuji, though I could make it work as I could make any system work. Just not as well as well.

It seems quite a few of us were on Fuji for some time and then moved on. They are back to being that really niche company nobody is really hyped about. and that's kind of good in my book, I'd go as far as to say that even appeals to me. I hate having the same gear as everyone and Fuji has its own kind of visual imprint. The hardware too with the top dials & compact lenses. It's kind of like Leica, without the prestige & price tag. 

I'm not about to ditch Canon or Sony by the way. Too invested in them, and they do the job, I can operate them with my eyes shut. But that's also the problem, they're utilitarian, boring. Fuji is a breath of fresh air, even the idiosyncrasies make you work a little different. Long story short, I have humongous GAS for this XH2S. It really ticks the boxes as far as feature ratio/price. Adding a fourth system is a little nuts but my projects are really diversified and this would be my creative/experimental system for more artsy/fine art projects.

@MrSMW What did you end up pulling trigger on?

It seems like is the right one. That new "video" zoom is making it even more compelling.

I thought hard about the whole situation. GH6 is an amazing video tool also, but now as good in photography, and the price difference is smaller, than say, the R7.

Finally, I decided to go Canon again, after so many years and I will try to go full Canon in the next years to come.

One aspect of my decision is of course the EF lenses I own (and m43 for the P4K). I am set on many levels with them and the occasional RF that I will buy.

If you don't have any issues with owning different ecosystems, then I am sure you will be very happy with this combo. I believe that Fuji, finally arrived. If only they had a dedicated video camera (C70 antagonist) also..

..but also, Canon has a lineup that can cover the most needs after a long long time..

2 hours ago, Django said:

It seems quite a few of us were on Fuji for some time and then moved on. They are back to being that really niche company nobody is really hyped about. and that's kind of good in my book, I'd go as far as to say that even appeals to me. I hate having the same gear as everyone and Fuji has its own kind of visual imprint. The hardware too with the top dials & compact lenses. It's kind of like Leica, without the prestige & price tag. 

I'm not about to ditch Canon or Sony by the way. Too invested in them, and they do the job, I can operate them with my eyes shut. But that's also the problem, they're utilitarian, boring. Fuji is a breath of fresh air, even the idiosyncrasies make you work a little different. Long story short, I have humongous GAS for this XH2S. It really ticks the boxes as far as feature ratio/price. Adding a fourth system is a little nuts but my projects are really diversified and this would be my creative/experimental system for more artsy/fine art projects.

@MrSMW What did you end up pulling trigger on?

A lot of similar thought patterns going on here!

Part of why I originally went Fuji was because everyone else was either Nikon on Canon in wedding world.

So many colleagues laughed or sneered and so many ended up going down that same route.

I find Sony boring. Always have and yes, I have had a number of Sony cameras but mainly the smaller/fixed lens type inc. RX10, RX100v, ZV1 and whilst they have been good at what they do, I just found no joy in using any of them. None.

That would not put me off going fully Sony and I have contemplated it several times including within the last couple of weeks, but they just don't make anything that ticks enough boxes for me, so that coupled with the 'zero joy' factor makes them an also ran for me.

I haven't quite pushed the trigger on it, but not for lack of trying (no stock, ANYWHERE, at least not without a massive 4 figure mark up) but I am going back to my roots and going back to Nikon.

Z9 to be precise. Along with the Megadap adapter and Tamron 35-150mm f2/2.8, plus a pair of OM-1's.

The OM-1's are going to be doing static duration coverage with one of them also on gimbal duty. These are replacing my S5 and ZV1. I didn't much care for the mix, broke the side hinged screen off the S5 (third camera I have done this and hate the fucking things with a passion...even though the OM-1 has them, but is not being used in the same role so unlikely to get damaged) and the ZV1 has overheated 3x now.

I threw the OM-1 in at the deep end this last weekend and despite me not having had enough playtime...such as not knowing how to switch it from AF to MF, it did a sterling job @ f2.8 tracking the right subjects all ceremony long!

Plus, the log footage was an easy grade and very nice quality.

The Z9 and lens combo...when I can find anything in stock (name down on numerous waiting lists!) is replacing:

2x S1R's 

1x S1H

1x monopod

5x lenses

OK, I lie, the Z9 will be getting a second lens option when it becomes available, probably next year, the just announced Tamron 20-40mm f2.8 which will be my 'indoor' lens that will book-end my wedding coverage, ie, for prep at the beginning and dancing at the end. The rest will be single body, single lens for the typical 6+ hours in between.

It's a big/hefty unit in the hands, but it's a case of 1 camera + 2 lenses doing something better than 3 cameras + 5 lenses + monopod, so for my needs, that no-brainer folks talk about.

Batman plus Robins after30+ jobs of literally wrestling with a system I have never quite got to work, will be a breath of fresh air and increase creativity as a result.

On 8/27/2022 at 8:38 AM, Django said:

So nobody here purchased the camera? I'm so close to pulling trigger. With the metabones it seems like a killer hybrid:

I mostly lurk here but I got the X-H2S about a month ago. Because I got it together with the Tascam XLR adapter, my order was delayed significantly so I missed the chance to use it on most of the gigs I had lined-up originally.

The one time I've used it for video, it was the Wide of a three-camera interview setup (with R5Cs as the CUs) feeding an ATEM Mini ISO. Lens was the XF 23mm f/2 (set to f/4) with AF-C / Face Detect-on. The R5Cs were set to 4K/S35 mode and one had an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II (set to f/4) while the other had an RF 24-105mm f/4.

The Good:
Color: The X-H2S was set to Astia and the R5Cs were set to EOS Standard Profile and their footage was relatively interchangeable (this I already knew from my previous experience mixing Canon and Fujifilm cameras).

Video autofocus: The X-H2S autofocus is significantly better than my previous X-T3 -I didn't notice any focus hunting during the multi-hour shoot which is something I can't say for my previous X-series bodies in similar setups.

Keeps going: It records for longer than 29.99 minutes! That's all I want in my hybrid cameras since my main moneymaker is long form documentary.

Formats: ProRes! h.265! h.264! I've always appreciated the level of control Fujifilm gives the operator over file output. Anyone who's used a BMPCC will know the frustration of being format-limited by resolution and vice-versa.

CF-Express -as much as I hate that I'm back to cameras that have non-matched dual card slots, at least they're the same type as what I use in my R5Cs. And GB for GB, CF-Express is cheaper than SDXC UHS-II. But holy hell do they get hot.

The Bad:
The button and dial layout is significantly different from my other X-series cameras and it drives me nuts. One of the main reasons I skipped the X-T4 was specifically because they altered the layout and this has the same problem. I can re-map some of the functionality to standardize with my other X-series bodies but there are wholly deleted buttons and switches (the drive-mode and exposure-mode are two glaring examples) that is going to force me to change mindset whenever using the X-H2S with another of my X-series cameras. I might have to sell all my older bodies and just get another X-H2S (or the 40MP model) so that I don't get annoyed.

The fan works and I'm glad I have it. The problem is, as I type this... I can't remember where I put it. It can only be attached when you're using the camera, as it prevents the screen from closing/cannot remain attached permanently. It also has two sets of rubber covers that are easily lost if you're frequently attaching/detaching it. It's a very dumb implementation and is probably going to get lost and re-purchased. I wish they had just gone the route that Canon did and elegantly integrated into the body.

No anamorphic view. I have three Sirui anamorphics for XF-mount and I still have to use my Atomos Ninja Inferno.

No Waveform - I come from a "traditional" video production background so I was so excited to get these back into my workflow on my R5Cs when I don't want to attach a larger monitor. At least the Zebras on the X-H2S are still well implemented...

HDMI frame stuttering -this is something that happens on my X-T3 frequently, and I haven't had a chance to really figure out why it happens (is it thermal? is it a framerate mismatch? etc...). I noticed it happening to the feed coming from X-H2S but, again, I've only used it once so I can't rule out user error here, either.

The Jury is still out:
Photos: My other money maker is photography. One of my main clients is a symphony and so I'm constantly shooting in fast-moving, high contrast scenarios using electronic shutter. The X-series cameras I own (T2, H1, T3) have been as-good-as the R5C in all aspects except resolution, autofocus and extreme high-ISO. Previously, choosing a body has been a trade-off between auto-focus performance vs rolling shutter artifacts. I'm hoping that the X-H2S solves both those issues but I know there's a shadow recovery penalty with the new stacked sensor. The new season starts in about a month so only time will tell if it's actually going to be problematic.

Video autofocus: I haven't had a real-world opportunity to test the X-H2S's video autofocus against the R5C's. Hopefully, it'll be as good as the R5C -which is a low standard :-). Honestly, I was surprised by how inferior the Canon cinema implementation of DPAF is compared to the non-cinema version. Tracking moves I could do with robotic automation on the 70D/80D/5D4 I wasn't able to do with the R5C. It's made food documentary and product video capture more... annoying than it should be.

Conclusion:
I'm still stuck in the value-conscious mindset I was in a few years ago -when it would definitely have been an either/or situation- so, I'm kind of torn on whether I wasted $3000 USD on the X-H2S or $5000 USD on the R5C. If only one or the other existed, I'd probably be happy but since they both exist and they both have respective strengths and weaknesses... it's weirdly still a toss-up. I am happy that I have enough work to justify owning both.

After re-reading what I wrote above (and how non-committal I still am), I will say this: the X-H2S is what I wished the BMPCC 6K Pro would have been. It is definitely more expensive when kitted-out equivalently but it does almost everything better.
If $5000 USD is within your budget and rolling-shutter isn't a big deal, the Canon R5C is the better tool versus the X-H2.
But at $3000 USD (base+TASCAM audio unit) the X-H2S is the only hybrid camera that does all the things it does, and does them well.

JP

2 hours ago, jpleong said:

I mostly lurk here but I got the X-H2S about a month ago. Because I got it together with the Tascam XLR adapter, my order was delayed significantly so I missed the chance to use it on most of the gigs I had lined-up originally.

The one time I've used it for video, it was the Wide of a three-camera interview setup (with R5Cs as the CUs) feeding an ATEM Mini ISO. Lens was the XF 23mm f/2 (set to f/4) with AF-C / Face Detect-on. The R5Cs were set to 4K/S35 mode and one had an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II (set to f/4) while the other had an RF 24-105mm f/4.

The Good:
Color: The X-H2S was set to Astia and the R5Cs were set to EOS Standard Profile and their footage was relatively interchangeable (this I already knew from my previous experience mixing Canon and Fujifilm cameras).

Video autofocus: The X-H2S autofocus is significantly better than my previous X-T3 -I didn't notice any focus hunting during the multi-hour shoot which is something I can't say for my previous X-series bodies in similar setups.

Keeps going: It records for longer than 29.99 minutes! That's all I want in my hybrid cameras since my main moneymaker is long form documentary.

Formats: ProRes! h.265! h.264! I've always appreciated the level of control Fujifilm gives the operator over file output. Anyone who's used a BMPCC will know the frustration of being format-limited by resolution and vice-versa.

CF-Express -as much as I hate that I'm back to cameras that have non-matched dual card slots, at least they're the same type as what I use in my R5Cs. And GB for GB, CF-Express is cheaper than SDXC UHS-II. But holy hell do they get hot.

The Bad:
The button and dial layout is significantly different from my other X-series cameras and it drives me nuts. One of the main reasons I skipped the X-T4 was specifically because they altered the layout and this has the same problem. I can re-map some of the functionality to standardize with my other X-series bodies but there are wholly deleted buttons and switches (the drive-mode and exposure-mode are two glaring examples) that is going to force me to change mindset whenever using the X-H2S with another of my X-series cameras. I might have to sell all my older bodies and just get another X-H2S (or the 40MP model) so that I don't get annoyed.

The fan works and I'm glad I have it. The problem is, as I type this... I can't remember where I put it. It can only be attached when you're using the camera, as it prevents the screen from closing/cannot remain attached permanently. It also has two sets of rubber covers that are easily lost if you're frequently attaching/detaching it. It's a very dumb implementation and is probably going to get lost and re-purchased. I wish they had just gone the route that Canon did and elegantly integrated into the body.

No anamorphic view. I have three Sirui anamorphics for XF-mount and I still have to use my Atomos Ninja Inferno.

No Waveform - I come from a "traditional" video production background so I was so excited to get these back into my workflow on my R5Cs when I don't want to attach a larger monitor. At least the Zebras on the X-H2S are still well implemented...

HDMI frame stuttering -this is something that happens on my X-T3 frequently, and I haven't had a chance to really figure out why it happens (is it thermal? is it a framerate mismatch? etc...). I noticed it happening to the feed coming from X-H2S but, again, I've only used it once so I can't rule out user error here, either.

The Jury is still out:
Photos: My other money maker is photography. One of my main clients is a symphony and so I'm constantly shooting in fast-moving, high contrast scenarios using electronic shutter. The X-series cameras I own (T2, H1, T3) have been as-good-as the R5C in all aspects except resolution, autofocus and extreme high-ISO. Previously, choosing a body has been a trade-off between auto-focus performance vs rolling shutter artifacts. I'm hoping that the X-H2S solves both those issues but I know there's a shadow recovery penalty with the new stacked sensor. The new season starts in about a month so only time will tell if it's actually going to be problematic.

Video autofocus: I haven't had a real-world opportunity to test the X-H2S's video autofocus against the R5C's. Hopefully, it'll be as good as the R5C -which is a low standard :-). Honestly, I was surprised by how inferior the Canon cinema implementation of DPAF is compared to the non-cinema version. Tracking moves I could do with robotic automation on the 70D/80D/5D4 I wasn't able to do with the R5C. It's made food documentary and product video capture more... annoying than it should be.

Conclusion:
I'm still stuck in the value-conscious mindset I was in a few years ago -when it would definitely have been an either/or situation- so, I'm kind of torn on whether I wasted $3000 USD on the X-H2S or $5000 USD on the R5C. If only one or the other existed, I'd probably be happy but since they both exist and they both have respective strengths and weaknesses... it's weirdly still a toss-up. I am happy that I have enough work to justify owning both.

After re-reading what I wrote above (and how non-committal I still am), I will say this: the X-H2S is what I wished the BMPCC 6K Pro would have been. It is definitely more expensive when kitted-out equivalently but it does almost everything better.
If $5000 USD is within your budget and rolling-shutter isn't a big deal, the Canon R5C is the better tool versus the X-H2.
But at $3000 USD (base+TASCAM audio unit) the X-H2S is the only hybrid camera that does all the things it does, and does them well.

JP

Wow, thanks for such thorough feedback! Also being on Canon system (R6) its good to hear Astia matches with SOOC Canon although I'd probably shoot log if trying to match two different camera brands.

I hear you on the XH2S ergonomics. I handled one briefly at the store and was a little confused although its been several years since I operated a Fuji. To me the biggest downside is that they removed the top dials to go with PSAM and front/back dials. The whole appeal of X camera body ergonomics is gone. Dumb move imo.

Lack of exposure tools and probably things like magnify during recording are also long withstanding. Fuji don't have a cine line to protect so I just don't understand why they still haven't integrated more serious video assist tools. I hate having to use external monitor.

As for the video AF, it seems it has considerably improved but is still missing tap to track subjects/objects. It can only track via automatic detection. So that's a big minus versus Canon/Sony. Especially if your doing robotic automation like you're saying, could almost be a deal breaker for ya?

R5C does tick many boxes for me but then again I feel like dropping $5K on it won't dramatically improve the IQ I'm already getting with the R6 that also shoots FF 10-bit 422 Clog3 oversampled 4K. And I'd be losing IBIS which is something I don't wanna compromise on a small mirrorless body. I do more and more handheld with IBIS and find it ultra liberating. Also the horrible battery life means rigging which again kinda defeats the purpose of a small mirrorless. So if I'm dropping $5K it would probably be on a no compromise C70 cine cam: DGO sensor, low RS, CLog2, NDs, HDMI, XLRs..etc

But yeah for $2500-$3K the XH2S is a very neat package. Clients ask more & more for horizontal plus vertical content so that 6.2K Open Gate seems like the ideal capture method for such hybrid deliveries. That alone has got me excited on the XH2S. I also wanna venture into anamorphic for creative projects, kind of a bummer there is no desqueeze view in-cam but maybe with a firmware update..

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the xh2s for a couple months now. Just shooting test stuff but the footage is absolutely unreal.

Don't have anything else to say except that camera conspiracies guy is the most annoying person on the internet. I'd like to see him try to make something look good before constantly whinging.