Fuji X-H2S

BTM_Pix

• Administrators

You do realise that dynamic range is about contrast don't you.

Difference between lightest and darkest regions.

His entire face is evenly lit, so you just need a strong ND and expose for the mids. Sorted.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I mean the video with the LED's shows that it handles bright colored lights pretty well. The night shots with the fire looked nice too. Maybe that was the most impressive scene. Nothing is comparing to all that new footage coming out of the Alexa 35 but I guess that is not fair at all.

I liked some of the stuff in Matti Haapoja's review though the review itself is super generic. I need to see some footage that is confirmed Prores 422 HQ in different environments and lighting.

• Administrators

It really does just look like every other camera out there.

The content is all dross.

Not a cinematic or emotional moment in any of it. Though of course that isn't the camera's fault is it?

It is brash eye candy only fit for tv ads.

I would expect the X-H2S's image to be very good but so is the EOS R5C, A7 IV, GH6, OM1, Fp, Fp-L, 1D C, NX1, XT-4, A7S III and so on.

If it makes full use of the film simulations with ability to simulate grain styles like the Alexa 35 and has 14 stops dynamic range in 6K then I'll change my mind.

Then it is progress!

Otherwise it is merely another good offer in a sea of good offers, if you get what I mean.

20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It really does just look like every other camera out there.

The content is all dross.

Not a cinematic or emotional moment in any of it. Though of course that isn't the camera's fault is it?

It is brash eye candy only fit for tv ads.

I would expect the X-H2S's image to be very good but so is the EOS R5C, A7 IV, GH6, OM1, Fp, Fp-L, 1D C, NX1, XT-4, A7S III and so on.

If it makes full use of the film simulations with ability to simulate grain styles like the Alexa 35 and has 14 stops dynamic range in 6K then I'll change my mind.

Then it is progress!

Otherwise it is merely another good offer in a sea of good offers, if you get what I mean.

To me what sticks out so far is the dynamic range looks to be as good if not a bit better than the Panasonic S1, which is the leading hybrid in that regard IMO.

It betters the S1 as it has 4k 10bit 422 120p. It also has twice as fast rolling shutter. I also love Fuji color especially for stills. It is also cheaper than the C70 or FX3 which offer similar features. 

But I agree that all these camera offerings are starting to blend together. The fuji is just good enough to peak my interest while just underwhelming enough to make me want to pass.

• Administrators

ALEXA 35 has the following grain types:

K445 Default

P425 Cosmetic

P325 Soft Cosmetic

G733 Nostalgic

G522 Soft Nostalgic

F567 Clarity

F578 High Clarity

L345 Shadow

H457 Deep Shadow

Default is "Go-to for most situations. Smooth skin tones, excellent clarity and detail."

And the others are either a softer texture or more grain, more vintage look.

Well done ARRI for recognising the importance of real film grain in a digital camera!

Faking it in post isn't the same.

It also works hand in hand with sharpening.

For example High Clarity offers "Greater sharpness and detail compared to the Default. Good for landscapes, trees, product shots. Even more detail than Clarity."

This is really nice as in mirrorless cameras you get a ton of over sharpening artefacts if you want finer noise. The only way to do it is to ramp up the digital sharpness and ISOs, which isn't a nice combo!

You can tell why ARRI are still favoured by filmmakers who are actually artists rather than marketing men.

Real, natural grain, which trumps digital sharpening any day of the week, usually is only captured in a legit uncompressed raw codec like CDNG (probably not the “fake BRAW). It is just stupid pleasing when you are in a well lit scenario with low ISO, and the RAW codec captures all the fine, discrete noise in the image.

You won’t see that in a PeterMcKinnon video lol. Glad ARRI is embracing this. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, TomTheDP said:

To me what sticks out so far is the dynamic range looks to be as good if not a bit better than the Panasonic S1, which is the leading hybrid in that regard IMO.

It may indeed be, but I just don't see any actual proof yet.

Are there any ProRes files to download with a huge dynamic range in the scene? Dark subject next to a bright window?

You can't trust the marketing videos as they are all an unknown. You don't know how far they really pushed the camera to create the eye candy, and how much was smoke & mirrors and fancy fill lights.

It betters the S1 as it has 4k 10bit 422 120p.

Isn't this cropped though? I think an extra 1.3x or something? 2x crop in total for the 4K/120fps so may as well get a GH6 for that?

It also has twice as fast rolling shutter. I also love Fuji color especially for stills. It is also cheaper than the C70 or FX3 which offer similar features.

Forget rolling shutter, you can get global shutter on Sony F55 for $2500 used now.

🙂

Or stick the RED Motion Mount on an old Scarlet-X.

But I agree that all these camera offerings are starting to blend together. The fuji is just good enough to peak my interest while just underwhelming enough to make me want to pass.

It isn't underwhelming for me, I just wish it were a bit different to what I already have!

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

It may indeed be, but I just don't see any actual proof yet.

Are there any ProRes files to download with a huge dynamic range in the scene? Dark subject next to a bright window?

You can't trust the marketing videos as they are all an unknown. You don't know how far they really pushed the camera to create the eye candy, and how much was smoke & mirrors and fancy fill lights.

Isn't this cropped though? I think an extra 1.3x or something? 2x crop in total for the 4K/120fps so may as well get a GH6 for that?

Forget rolling shutter, you can get global shutter on Sony F55 for $2500 used now.

🙂

Or stick the RED Motion Mount on an old Scarlet-X.

It isn't underwhelming for me, I just wish it were a bit different to what I already have!

I have seen the tests on the xyla 21 which seem promising, but real world examples would definitely be nice. The 120fps is cropped but to me that is ok, you still get S35 up to 60p, which is full frame if you are willing to go the speedbooster route.

The XH2S is way smaller than an F55 plus it doubles as a stills camera.

I think I am going to stick to my sigma FP for now, it is also half the price.

I was really tempted when I saw this announcement the other day, but after reading a handful of reviews, I realized I was experiencing the X-T4 all over again, just with 6K ProRes this time. Same iffy AF, same sticky IBIS, basically all the things Andrew mentioned. I think I’ll stick with my GH6, if I have to rely on manual focus, I might as well go with the camera that offers better stabilization.

55 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

FX3 😉

That camera is way out of what I could pay. And I really never buy a new camera, that way I can sell it say 6 months later for nearly what I paid for it. Plus, it doesn't have an EVF. In the day time the LCD screens suck ass and I can't see them too well at my age either.

But that might not be a problem for you. To me stuff that cost that much needs to earn the money back. I don't do anything for money cameras wise anymore so...

I am really wondering why all these films showing the fuji have these muted colours. This  look was supercool when the XT4 arived but has been used extensicely by the instagram crowd. I would love to see an example of a classical high key shot such as the "classical family on the beach at full sunlight commercial look" . It's all about the skintones.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

I was really tempted when I saw this announcement the other day, but after reading a handful of reviews, I realized I was experiencing the X-T4 all over again, just with 6K ProRes this time. Same iffy AF, same sticky IBIS, basically all the things Andrew mentioned. I think I’ll stick with my GH6, if I have to rely on manual focus, I might as well go with the camera that offers better stabilization.

Compared to X-T4 although it is certainly the better camera, it's also much more expensive. When it comes out, inevitably in short stock at £2500 or so in the UK, you will be able to pick up a mint X-T4 on eBay for about £1000.

Main differences are 4K/120p (cropped), anamorphic modes and the ProRes. For me ProRes LT should be in there as it stands up really well. ProRes 422 and HQ have enormous file sizes so are less practical. LT is just as fluid to edit and grade.  If I want 700Mbit/s file sizes I'd probably just shoot BRAW instead. On the other hand, if main selling point is the 4k/120p and one has £2500 to spend then for not a huge amount more you could get a full frame 4K/120 camera or even an EPIC-X (5K 120fps). If you need an anamorphic mode, 4K/120p (given the 4K/120p is similar crop on both) and ProRes all in same camera then GH6 is cheaper at £1999 and has the lovely HDR sensor readout too.

The 6K open gate and anamorphic mode is probably what I am interested in most, really glad Fuji put that in.

But iffy AF, sticky IBIS and still no real progress with things that matter (exposure, NDs, larger screens) mean there are compelling alternatives.

OM-1 I am really impressed with. The image is SUPERB. The IBIS is really natural. AF is Sony/Canon level bullet proof. It is currently one of the best all-round shooting experiences for the money!