Fuji X-H2S

BTM_Pix

Actually the new 23mm F1.4 WR uses a different "Linear Motor" then the previous version and has night & day video AF performance. That would probably be my main prime lens (35mm f1.4 being my favorite FF lens) if I switched back to Fuji!

Here is an XH2S video showing the video AF & IBIS performance on the new 23mm F1.4 WR:

pretty good tracking performance and smooth wide open auto rack focus at 1:48 & 5:40.

btw, never mind the poor DR, its shot in 8-bit classic chrome.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, TomTheDP said:

It's cool but I am not big on variable ND's. Too much effect on skintones.

Agreed, would be so much better if it was a drop in filter! Like Canon has for RF (except theirs is VND too I think, but at least drop in filters is the right approach)

Just waiting for someone in China to copy that...  and make it available for MFT / X / E mounts as well 

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Agreed, would be so much better if it was a drop in filter! Like Canon has for RF (except theirs is VND too I think, but at least drop in filters is the right approach)

Just waiting for someone in China to copy that...  and make it available for MFT / X / E mounts as well 

Maybe Megadap or Fringer can make a smart AF adapter with a drop in VND. They do impressive work at reverse engineering lens mounts. I’ve heard really good things about the fringer ef-fuji Z and EF- Z mount adapters

• Administrators
3 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

You mentioned that you think that the Fringer is the only viable EF-FX adapter - I'm curious if you (or anybody here) have tried the Steelsring for FX.  It claims to enable PDAF similar to the one for the GFX.  I use their adapter for EF lenses on my GFX 100 and while autofocus isn't as good as on a Canon, I find it to be about as usable as any of my native GF glass on that camera.

I've not tried that. The Fringer was really good, the only viable one I've tried so far.

As a side note, I've noticed the Metabones Speed Booster absolutely zaps along in all sorts of AF modes on the OM-1. Mega good.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Django said:

Actually the new 23mm F1.4 WR uses a different "Linear Motor" then the previous version and has night & day video AF performanc

Ah there's a new one? Completely missed that.

Sucks having to buy a new lens though just for video AF.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1566310-REG/fotodiox_nikg_fxrf_pro_ndthrtl_vizelex_nd_throttle_lens.html

This adapter is kinda tempting, to fix the biggest problem remaining with a X-H2S: the lack of ND filters!!

The problem with all these adapters is they lack a clear setting and change colours & reflective surfaces.

I would much prefer a digital alternative to filter glass!

I'm very excited about this camera, not just because I dropped Canon to go Fuji a few years ago, but because, apparently it FINALLY FIXES the issues the X series had vs the competitors in the PHOTO side:

-AF and specially AF-C

-Ergonomics, proper joystic, BULKY AF-ON button on both body AND grip.

Then, there's the video side. IMO Fuji is the closest to an ALEXA among all mirrorless, because of how it handles Specular Highlights and clippped highlights roll off. But it still wasn't there, with its limited >12 stops.

Now with FLOG2 and Prores 422.... are the REAL 14 stops finally there? If so, we finally have our 1st gen ALEXA. Scherlock was shot at 2k and Prores 422, not even RAW. The XH2s will add AF and some IBIS to that. Fingers crossed. It looks VERY promisig in this video, with HARSH sun, Clipped red and green, and FIRE, yet it still looks very organic !! (unlike sony, canon, red)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twI377KRwV4

look at 12:30, 7:30, and the end, those shots are brutal for any sensor

• Administrators
2 hours ago, jindrich said:

Fingers crossed. It looks VERY promisig in this video, with HARSH sun, Clipped red and green, and FIRE, yet it still looks very organic !! (unlike sony, canon, red)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twI377KRwV4

look at 12:30, 7:30, and the end, those shots are brutal for any sensor

To be honest I am not that impressed by 12:30. Everything is evenly lit, there's no contrast. It isn't a great test of dynamic range. Plus Kate Bush has really overdosed on the botox.

7:30 is just pointless eye candy with some smoke.

Am I missing something?

It isn't exactly Blade Runner is it?

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

To be honest I am not that impressed by 12:30. Everything is evenly lit, there's no contrast. It isn't a great test of dynamic range. Plus Kate Bush has really overdosed on the botox.

7:30 is just pointless eye candy with some smoke.

Am I missing something?

It isn't exactly Blade Runner is it?

That's a shot under the sun with a silver reflector on his face, it can't get harsher than that. A Canon or a Sony would show nasty specular highlights on the skin. Same with the other takes, nothing more revealing that a Fresnel and smoke to show what a sensor can do, or clippping the red or the green channel. Have you ever shot with an ALEXA? This is Youtube compression, but it looks promising, so far. Fuji engineers say with flog2 and 10bit Prores they got an extra stop above and below. The past X were under 12 stops. Let's see

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I wonder if the BTS was shot with the same camera (a X-H2S), if so that is a clear example how different a look can be depending on the skill / time on set / post production!

the guy apparently says he shoots with gh4 or so, then i guess they shot the BTS with those?

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, jindrich said:

That's a shot under the sun with a silver reflector on his face, it can't get harsher than that.

It isn't harsh light on his face. It's soft and diffused. It's a bounce light, reflected fill light. It isn't direct sunlight.

A Canon or a Sony would show nasty specular highlights on the skin.

Whenever somebody says that a certain brand rather than a specific tool shows "nasty specular highlights on skin" that is almost certainly a red flag for bias on this forum.

This is Youtube compression, but it looks promising, so far.

It doesn't, what's out there just looks like any old marketing shit so far.

Could have been shot with practically any camera of the last 5 years.

There is nothing that stands out as special in relation to the X-H2S and it all looks too clean and too digital.

Plus it is on YouTube - where are the original files?

Show me the original files from the X-H2S and then you will convince me if it is a step forward or pretty much the same as everything else.