Fuji X-H2S

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The Vast majority of people using a Fuji camera are using it in photo mode. Why would you want the added cost and bulk for that purpose.

The bulk of all video for normal people come from Smartphones. It is only weird people like us that shoot video on a camera..

I don't think this is a camera meant for photo people. 

Pretty much the only thing I don’t like is the flip out screen over the tilt.

The zoom looks interesting…but I hate zooms unless they are short and fast like Canon’s 28-70 f2…but then they are massive and weigh a ton.

Had it not been for Covid, I would have been switching out my XT4’s for these. Not that I ever had XT4’s also thanks to Covid!

But now, under different circumstances, there are options…

OM-1 vs GH6 vs XH2s as hybrids is quite interesting.

Right now, I think I’d go GH6 and I am surprised myself about that.

But nothing happening for me this year at least as I’m quite happy with my current set up.

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

I don't think this is a camera meant for photo people. 

Then why would they release the File transmitter Grip which costs US$1K? (the Fujifilm FT-XH) 

That clearly indicates they think there will be a strong interest in the camera from photographers. 

Or perhaps more likely, the FT-XH will also be compatible with the high resolution Fijifilm X-2H as well. (40 megapixel APS-C camera!)

I think it sits right in the middle ie, is a hybrid and leans in neither direction.

Hybrid is the present and future for a huge number of people, but especially event shooters like me.

IMO Fuji know this fundamentally.

4 hours ago, Django said:

Its definitely the video centric model with the upcoming 40MP XH2 being the photo centric hybrid.

Short film trailer & BTS shot with the MK cine zooms:

With all that equipment and production, I'm not sure if it is the camera, the styling choice of production ,or the grading but I'm not really into it. I don't like the coloring still, sadly.

12 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Maybe photographers will buy this camera, but it really seems like it's more video centric. I think they think it'll appeal to the hybrid shooter and video focused user mode than photo. I could be wrong though! 

X-H2S is a speed centric camera, it's the very first stacked APS-C sensor and also the fastest, which benefits both stills (action, sport, wild life etc.) and video.

ProRes internal is great momentum going forward. Seems like more and more companies are adding it.

IBIS looks like it is not the best even just static hand holding. Not sure what is going on there.

I've seen a lot of people complain about CF Express being expensive in reviews. You can get a Angelbird 512GB card that will handle 8K for $179. Prograde 256GB SD card is 62% more expensive for half the space.

Prograde 256 SD   = $1.12/GB
Angelbird 512 CFX = 0.34/GB
Angelbird 1TB CFX = 0.48/GB
Angelbird 2TB CFX = 0.48/GB
Angelbird 4TB CFX = 0.45/GB

8 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

ProRes internal is great momentum going forward. Seems like more and more companies are adding it.

IBIS looks like it is not the best even just static hand holding. Not sure what is going on there.

I've seen a lot of people complain about CF Express being expensive in reviews. You can get a Angelbird 512GB card that will handle 8K for $179. Prograde 256GB SD card is 62% more expensive for half the space.

Prograde 256 SD   = $1.12/GB
Angelbird 512 CFX = 0.34/GB
Angelbird 1TB CFX = 0.48/GB
Angelbird 2TB CFX = 0.48/GB
Angelbird 4TB CFX = 0.45/GB

As long as there is some mode that can be used as a tripod replacement, for short periods of course, then I am good with it.

My main disappointment which will keep me from buying it is in 4k 60p it goes down to 12 bit readout vs 14 in 24-30p.

8 hours ago, androidlad said:

X-H2S is a speed centric camera, it's the very first stacked APS-C sensor and also the fastest, which benefits both stills (action, sport, wild life etc.) and video.

Fujifilm's best answer to the Nikon D500! (which the Nikon D500 is still the best sports/wildlife photography camera for anybody on a budget. Edit: then again, when I look into the specs for the X-H2S it is very impressive. 15fps mechanical shutter for raw images, with a 140 buffer for raw. Damn! That's good. I want to see a head to head comparison of the X-H2S vs the Nikon D500)

3 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

As long as there is some mode that can be used as a tripod replacement, for short periods of course, then I am good with it.

My main disappointment which will keep me from buying it is in 4k 60p it goes down to 12 bit readout vs 14 in 24-30p.

The 14bit readout only gets you ~0.3 stops of additional DR compared to 12bit.

Also 14bit readout is 10ms rolling shutter vs 5.6ms in 12bit.

4 hours ago, TomTheDP said:

Perhaps a side-note, but on the GH5 that tripod mode is excellent.  Not only for completely eliminating motion (as it's designed) but also for doing heavily stabilised pans - It kind of feels like you're dragging the frame to one side, but the results really speak for themselves.  If you're using stabilisation for hand-held work then it's worth trying that IBIS mode in whatever camera you have to see if this kind of behaviour is possible.

30 minutes ago, kye said:

Perhaps a side-note, but on the GH5 that tripod mode is excellent.  Not only for completely eliminating motion (as it's designed) but also for doing heavily stabilised pans - It kind of feels like you're dragging the frame to one side, but the results really speak for themselves.  If you're using stabilisation for hand-held work then it's worth trying that IBIS mode in whatever camera you have to see if this kind of behaviour is possible.

It, both IBIS and IBIS Boost Mode, is very noticeably worse on the X-T4 than on the GH5 so I assume the X-H2s will be worse than the GH5/GH6 from the footage I've seen

Would love to see a shootout between the GH6 and the X-H2s. I am guessing for pure image quality it would win by a whisker, and for autofocus it would be much better (maybe not great though). For everything else (stabilization, high speed, low light etc, they would be closely matched).

Did anyone figure who Panasonic got the sensor from? And why it's so lousy in non dynamic range boost mode? 

The video features of the camera, specially codec-related, really drawn the attention to the video sid of it, but I'm interested (for curiosity and prossible trickled down the line - I'm a midrange body guy) to see more tests of the stills performance. Ok, the supposed "stills centric" camera would be the next X-H2 non-S, with 40mp, but this is the wildflfe / sports model (the 40mp model reportedly will not have a stacked sensor). The dedicated grip with MIMO WiFi and Ethernet reinforces that. The buffer sizes are amazing, the fps rates too, but the AF performance is crucial in this scenarios.

Did not saw a really dedicated anamorphic mode (the open gate was cited as an option for multiple crops), but probably we will see it in a future firmware update. Anamorphic is getting attention, lots of newer lenses, probaly will be implemented, with more video tools too, like a waveform viewer.

About AF and IBIS performance...already a bunch of reviews from smaller reviewers praising it (it becomes norm from ALL manufacturers). I would wait for a production version and more "calm" reviews. For now, albeit they are kind of hated here, I'm more in the camps of Chris & Jordan in their review - AF is better but still not on par with Sony and Canon, and IBIS for video looks the same of the X-T4. But the firmware is not final (almost all reviewers got bugs, even locking the cameras and needing battery removal), better wait the production version.

I think that Fuji need to snatch someone from Sony / OM Digital / Canon that have a video focus approach - I always have the impression that thay use the same "logic" for AF and IBIS for both stills and video, and they are different animals. In stills, AF needs absolute precision and IBIS need a stable fram at all costs. For video, AF precision is desirable, but between a slight unprecise focus point is preferrable than a hunting image to achieve focus perfection - is better a single movement to a point a (very) little out of focus than pulsing. And IBIS must priorize smooth movement that a fast movement to stabilize - better drift than jump. Both AF and IBIS must have different logic for video and stills.

49 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

My thoughts on the Fuji X-H2S

https://www.eoshd.com/news/thoughts-on-the-impressive-fuji-x-h2s/

Did anyone spot a 4:3 anamorphic mode or is it just 3:2 open gate?

You mentioned that you think that the Fringer is the only viable EF-FX adapter - I'm curious if you (or anybody here) have tried the Steelsring for FX.  It claims to enable PDAF similar to the one for the GFX.  I use their adapter for EF lenses on my GFX 100 and while autofocus isn't as good as on a Canon, I find it to be about as usable as any of my native GF glass on that camera.