BMCC variant Metabones Speed Booster works on GH3 and GH4 to give 1.28x crop, almost full frame look!

Andrew Reid

Question: does using the BMCC Speedbooster on a GH4 cause any noticeable loss in quality as compared to a standard MFT Speedbooster?

The optical engineer responsible for designing the Speedboosters was concerned about this over on bmcuser, but as far as I know no one has actually tested or proven this.

Beyond this, are people happy with using a BMCC Speedbooster on their GH4? Any vignetting on lenses like the Sigma 18-35? I'm about to sell my GH2 and buy a GH4, and I'm wondering if I should at the same time sell my MFT/Nikon Speedbooster, and pick up the BMCC version.

• 3 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I wanted to bring up one thing that happened to me yesterday shooting with the Gh4 and the BMCC Speedbooster. I've been using this combo since the GH4 came out without issue, but yesterday I was filming an event with very challenging lighting combinations so I used Custom White Balance. This may be common knowledge to some of you, but if you have Electronic Shutter on, when you try to set a Custom White Balance, that mechanical shutter activates, you hear the click and real the vibrations and realize you have a BMCC Speedbooster attached. My SP ended up stuck on my GH4, and received a message over a white screen that read something like "Turn off the camera and turn it on again" but that did nothing and I still could not remove the SB only more clicks each time. Frustrated and bummed out, I set it down and wen to sleep. The next day I had another shoot, so I went t put my GH4 away and went for the BMPCC instead, but when I went to move the GH4, I decided to give it one last try. Speedbooster came off without hesitation. All I can say is, don't use Custom White Balance, if using a BMCC Speedbooster. If it's common knowledge, I apologize, but I didn't know this.

Hi!

I have BMCC speedbooter on GH4 and have also found the same problem, but there is a solution, quite simple one :)

Just turn ON "Silent Mode" in the menu (wrench and C letter icon menu subsection) and now you can use custom white balance without engaging mechanical shutter. It will only use electronic shutter.

By turning on "Silent Mode" , GH4 will not reproduce any sound (shutter included), zero, none, it's dead silent. It will record sound normaly but It won't even reproduce sound when playing back recorded videos, unless you are using headphones! :)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

I just bought a Tokina 11-16mm for use with a Nikon to M43 adapter (not a speed booster) on my GH4 but I'm having major problems getting a proper focus. Anyone else have similar problems or is this a duff lens I've been sold? Apart from the DX crop factor I've tested it on my D800 and it works fine.

Cheers