BMCC variant Metabones Speed Booster works on GH3 and GH4 to give 1.28x crop, almost full frame look!

Andrew Reid

Thanks all. As you can tell I'm an optical novice but I'm beginning to grasp that the MBSB makes a full 35mm frame lens .71 wider than it would normally be when mounted on a MFT camera, not wider overall. 

From the Metabones FAQ page: 

The "35mm equivalent focal length" is not a focal length at all, but a measure of field of view (FoV). Speed Boosterâ„¢ physically reduce focal length by a factor of 0.71x and the APS-C camera body reduces FoV by a "cropped factor" of approx 1.52x, so the 35mm equivalent focal length (cannot be overemphasized this ia a FoV measure) of the combined system is approximately 1.08x.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Yes the speedbooster works only if the lens is designed for a larger format than the camera it's (the lens) being used on. So

a full frame (large format) lens on an APS-C body (smaller format) + SB = Fullframe.

An APS-C lens on a M43s body + SB = APS-C

It will not make the lens wider if it's a fullframe lens, and being used on a fullframe body. It will severely vigenitte. It's impossoble. Only a Large lens and smaller sensor.

has anyone tried this BMCC speedbooster on a Panasonic G6......is there enough room / clearance for it to fit??

Andy,

I just bought the BMCC and tried it on my G6. I'm a little nervous. I felt some resistance from the plastic guard, but it was slight so I went ahead and screwed it in. It seems to work great. I took it off - no marks on the black plastic guard. Put it back on. Seems fine! I did turn on the digital shutter just in case.

Does anyone think that pressure I'm pushing against is bad for the camera? I have 30 days to return the BMCC and get the basic MFT speed booster - but I'd just assume have the wider view.

I'm using it with a Nikon G-series 35mm 1.8 but am excited to try some other lenses - always open to suggestions!

-nathan

Nobody knows for shure, like you already know :P

Anyway, Andrew was supposed to post about a new super duper thing for m43s cameras. General consensus is that it's some sort of 0.5x speedbooster. So if it's true, and if you are shitting your pants this might be a good alternative. You got 30 days ;)

Btw,we demand an UPDATE!!!

Just to clarify my question here-

I remember someone in another forum mentioning some "touching" happening when they installed one of the BMCC speed boosters on a Panasonic camera. They didn't seem too worried and decided to just shut off the physical shutter to be safe. So I'm assuming what I'm experiencing with the G6 is the same, but I was just hoping for some confirmation from you guys, since I'm not a camera expert.

The little slightly flexible plastic piece in front of the sensor - if the BMCC has to be in contact with it (and even push against it a hair), is that reason to return the thing and get the straight 4/3 version at the expense of some width, or do you think I'm fine as-is?

Thanks!!

Andy,

I just bought the BMCC and tried it on my G6. I'm a little nervous. I felt some resistance from the plastic guard, but it was slight so I went ahead and screwed it in. It seems to work great. I took it off - no marks on the black plastic guard. Put it back on. Seems fine! I did turn on the digital shutter just in case.

Does anyone think that pressure I'm pushing against is bad for the camera? I have 30 days to return the BMCC and get the basic MFT speed booster - but I'd just assume have the wider view.

I'm using it with a Nikon G-series 35mm 1.8 but am excited to try some other lenses - always open to suggestions!

-nathan

thats good news it fits a G6 - if nothing is damaged and the image it produces is good then - go for it!!  

edit - so just to clarify the back of the BMCC speed boster is actually touching the transparent plastic the covers the sensor?? is that correct?

thats good news it fits a G6 - if nothing is damaged and the image it produces is good then - go for it!!  

edit - so just to clarify the back of the BMCC speed boster is actually touching the transparent plastic the covers the sensor?? is that correct?

The camera's not in front of me, but I believe it's black, non-transparent plastic. And it doesn't seem to be touching the sensor - it's maybe 1/8" away from it. Again, I'm not an expert and the camera isn't in front of me... but I'm going off an assumption that the sensor is the glass at the very back of the thing (if I were to stick my finger straight back I'd hit the sensor), and the black plastic makes a frame around the sensor... but there appears to be some space between it and the glass in the back. Does that make sense?

Different camera, but you get the idea:

'>

Has anyone tried the BMPCC Speed Booster on a GH2? Curious if the tradeoffs are the same (minor scratching on the frame guide, functional camera otherwise) or more severe because of differences in how the GH2 was made vs GH3/GH4.

As far as I know the GH2 doesn't have silent shutter mode, so that's a bigger risk, but I'm willing to live with that if the basic geometry works out without doing major damage.

Does anyone have actual footage of the BMCC Speedbooster with Panasonic GH4 in Cinema 4k Mode?

I'm trying to make my decision whether to buy the MFT version or BMCC one and would like to see some footage of the GH4 with BMCC Metabones

Thanks

• 1 month later...

This little bastard...

I now own 3 cameras. The GH2, BMPCC and the GH4. For the Blackmagic I bought the BMCC Speedbooster, so I can use it on the BMPCC and the GH4, if I would buy it any time soon. And I did - today. Excited about the Speedbooster working with my Nikon APSC-Glass and getting away with no vignetting in UHD mode (crop factor 2,3 becomes 1,472 like APS-C), I just wanted to give the Custom White Balance a try, since I had to dial in the correct color temperature on the BMPCC, I wanted the luxury back, to have the right settings at the push of a button.

So I was just about to flex my finger and set Custom WB... when I remembered... my GH2 always using the mechanical Shutter, when taking the custom WB. Cause I want to use the GH4 a little longer, I dismounted the BMCC Speedbooster and took the Custom WB with a familiar shutter sound!

Long story is short: Even with activated Electronic Shutter, the GH4 still uses the mechanical Shutter for Custom White Balance and can be damaged with attached BMCC Speedbooster. Since the SB touches the inside of the Shutter Casing and even leaves a mark there due the pressure of the adapter, when it´s attached.

So better stay with the Blackmagic way of dialing in the color temperature or use your MFT Kit Lens - if you own one - to do the work. Or simply buy the normal MFT to Nikon Speedbooster, not the BMCC Version.

By the way.... am I the only one who sets custom WB? Cause I didn´t read about this issue anywhere else. At least the BMCC Speedbooster Users don´t care much about it and stick with automatic WB ;-)

That´s it for today!

Cheers from Austria!

Stefan